Service & Maintenance Service reminder system: only B ?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by i-DSI, Saturday 5th Jan, 2013.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi all, just want to confirm if this is normal. My service reminder system is showing service needed in 210 days (so far all normal...). But it only shows 'B'. And 'B' does not include an oil and filter change. 'B' is a check of the vehicle (brakes, fluids, tyres, fuel lines etc...).
    This would mean my Accord does not need to replace it's oil and filter every year. Don't misunderstand me: I see this as a positive. I do know some reactions might advise me to change it anyhow at least once a year, but this is not my question. I will stick to what the service reminder system tells to do. Just need a confirmation if you see A+B when an oil and filter change is needed. 'A' stands for oil + oil filter change.
    Or: do you need to do A + B if you see the B only?

Last edited: Saturday 5th Jan, 2013
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I recently had B service only and its just checking things over like you said.
    Nothing been changed whatsoever.

i-DSI likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For argument sake if you are showing B now and in the next two week you pile on the miles say 2000-4000 miles it will change to a major one. On the flip side if that does happen and you don't use the car for a three weeks it will revert to B.

Its a self learning process for time and mileage done:Wink:.

I have changed to A & B a few times already.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    My point is: when looking at any maintenance schedule from Honda (our Civic, my CBF600S, non SvRS-countries,...etc) an oil and filter change is due anyhow each year regardless of the mileage (even not driven or only 100 miles/year). This is the first car I own where oil does not necessarily needs to be drained after one year, because it should show 'A' now also to happen in 210 days if this was the case. And there was my doubt.
    By the way: do you believe it's only the mileage that's taken into account for oil change? Much more important are the number of cold starts, (average and peak-)oil temperatures and high reving with cold engine to judge the lifetime of oil. Driving 10k miles on the highway at a steady 80 m/h is piece of cake for an engine oil.
    Is it possible that after doing the 'B'-maintenance, the 'A' will come up in less than 1 year? According to your explanation it might be.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The SvRS does have input from a oil contamination sensor so it does monitor the oil to what level of accuracy don't really know yet as it new to me too. I just hope I get my first service as a B and then lets see what happens at 12500 miles does it say change oil ?

I am changing the oil at 4000 miles BTW irrespective so the oil contamination sensor may get confused:Blink:

I don't know if you have seen this thread before :Wink: all the info you need here

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Thanks!
    Are you sure there's such a physical 'sensor'? If you can give a partnumber I believe you...
    I knew that FAQ, but it does not answer the question if you need per definition an oil change evey year.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For the K24 Engine Item 6 Part number 15830-RBB-003

Oil Cont sensor VTC.JPG

Item 24 part number 37310-RSA-G02

Sump Oil sensor.

I am lead to believe one or both do oil contaminating readings.

Item 24 is now based at the bottom of the sump the 7th Generation had it on the block nor dis it have the pole type of probe.

As for yearly oil changes pass don't know as my car is still 6 months old.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    R series 2.0 to follow soon with part numbers

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The R20 2.0 litre

Sump sensor Item 20 37310-RSA-G02 cheap only for £429.80

Sump Oil sensor 2.0 R ser.

10. Nick Allen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban likes this.
  11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Ichiban,
    Sorry, but you're wrong here:
    K24:
    Item 6 is the VTEC oil valve
    item 24: is the oil level sensor (including oil temperature).
    R20:
    Item 20 is the oil level sensor, identique function to the one in K24 (and many others... who don't have SvRS like the R18 in FK2 Civic to mention only one).
    Trust me: there's no such sensor. It's just data that's anyhow gathered that's used to interprete oil live.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We will have to agree to disagree friend.

13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    If there would be any kind of oil quality measurement via a sensor, than you would:
    - be able to read the value with HDS
    - have DTC code for malfunction of the sensor
    - have diagnostic trouble information for repair in MaRIS

You agree all this does not exist for Accord? There's not the slightest indication of an oil quality sensor on our Accords.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team</