Service & Maintenance Service schedule

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by mattyg, Friday 28th Jun, 2013.

1. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi folks

After buying my new legend i am now going to maintain it the best i can. My question is if i go to honda will they give me a copy of all the work that the car has had done to it ?. The reason i am asking is my service schedule in my handbook seems to differ from the one posted on the forum mine suggests that the gearbox oil should be changed at 45000 miles. Looking though the invoices the last service carried out by honda was in january at 34500 miles, at this point they carried out the 45000 mile service and on the invoice is 4litres of ATF. If the gearbox oil has been changed what did they do with the other 1.3 litres ?.

Bit paranoid about the rear diff, front diff and clutch/hypoid chambers any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Matt

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Mattyg,
    Willing to help, but what exactly is your question? How can we help?
    Did you ask you dealer for a detailed overview of the carried out work meanwhile?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Service intervals are stated both in miles or time passed, whichever comes first. So it ay not have reahed 45K but it met the time based interval and therefore that particular service was carried out.

With the ATF fluid are you referring to the fact that they come in 1 litre bottles ? And therefore why was an extra on purchased ? Hmm not sure could be any number of reason.

4. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok thanks but the service schedule listed on the forum is totally different to that in my handbook, mine doesn't mention the rear diff and states a gearbox oil change at 45000 and the one listed on the forum states it is much later 80000 i think.
    Back to my first post i guess i was rambling a bit would the main dealer be willing to print off for me exactly what has been done to the car and when.

Sorry for all the questions but just want to look after my car and hopefully keep it a long while.

Matt

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Matty,
    Rear differential oil change (ATF) is on 18, 45, 72k miles etc... or 24, 60, 96 months whatever comes first.
    Auto transmission (ATF) + transfer fluid (hypoid gear oil GL4 or GL5) is first time at 72k miles or 96 months. But thereafter every 45,000 miles or 5 years.
    If you don't ask your dealer for such an overview, you will not know the answer if he is willing to do do so:Smile:.

6. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks a lot for that looks like the diff was changed as well then going to ask them on monday.

Matt

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    24 month service is the second service and not the 18000 mile service Geet. The first Rear differential oil change (ATF) is at 27000 miles

http://hondakarma.com/threads/4212/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Ichiban,
    What's your source? What car are you checking? I use the normal schedule for EU, Legend, 2010.
    You are checking KB1, don't you? There's a difference?
    Matt says 'after buying my new Legend', so I went for KB2.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Geert the KB1 source is from WSM , since matt didn't say which year it makes sense to opt for KB1 and majority of Legends in the UK are KB1's.The KB2 IIRC was pulled from the UK due to poor sales. we never got it in the UK.

In the UK a lot of people do say new car for second hand car or even pre owned.:Wink:

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Ok, Matt, in that perspective.... the schedule on AOC is correct. I informed you the one for the later facelift, sorry for that.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I might put up KB2 service schedules so it may come in handy for others.

12. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

No need to apologize i appreciate all the advice that i am given from forum members,I must say i do think this is a great forum and i think its a shame there are not more legend owners on here.If there where it may encourage a few more people to buy one they really are great value now for top examples.

Kind regards

Matt

i-DSI and Ichiban like this.
  13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I drove the KB1 a few years ago, only a few miles (10 or so). Unbelievable car. Like cement on the road. Stable like a rock that's still inside the mountain :Wink:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Same here but had the car for a day The engine noise on high revs is glorious I wanted to be there all the time .I went through a series of twisty bends and the SH -AWD takes care the handling .it is nothing short of superb even on the edge of trye adhesion.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Matt it is a case of delivering correct advise on AOC ,forums are notable renowned to give bad and poor advise . We may comeacross argumentative but remain passionate about Honda and want to be accurate in delivering the correct advise. This place can have more legend owners here but they don't seem to participate unless they have a fault. If some of them did regular updates and feedback then the flow of ideas can get going.unless someone break that cycle we are not going to get active legend section.

we have all the skills and people on board here to get that atmosphere it case of challenging us :Wink: to the next level. Am confident it can be very easily achieved if given the chance.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  16. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Great got no problems doing a few updates as probably going to be here a lot as planning to do all the maintenance myself!. I consider myself handy with the spanners although im not a trained mechanic, I would have preferred to keep the warranty up to date with Honda but it looks as though my warranty is null and void the minute i convert it to gas. So I figure whats the point of getting them to do it when i can do it myself and save a few quid towards other running costs.I am planning on using genuine parts where possible or maybe get some parts from the states to keep costs down.
    As for the car drove it to work this morning for the first time and i loved it,I've traveled about 250 miles today so it was my first decent run.Its managed 30 MPG on the fuel computer not sure how accurate that will prove but will know for sure when i fill up again as i brimmed it when i left.This figure was from the middle of town in rush hour traffic though and it was on 21 when i left town. The radar cruise is great but you need to anticipate the traffic still to get the best out of this feature,if forced to drive up to the back of a truck because of traffic it seems to take ages to kick back up to speed. But if i overtake the truck and change lanes it works great. Maybe just me though as i am not used to it yet. Liked the lane keeping as well you have to put in just the right amount of input into the wheel to keep the system working.

Really loved it overall and can't wait to drive it home again.

Matt

Last edited: Monday 1st Jul, 2013
  17. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    Hi Matt,

Agree with you on active cruise control. But once you get used to it works like a dream. I did a 100 mile round trip the other day and it was absolutely fantastic. What I do is when it slows down, and then you need to speed up again, is to just manually speed up, but as soon as you lift off accelerator it keeps to the pre set speed. Got a 300 mile journey end of this month which I am looking forward to loads!

With regards to economy, I have not managed better than 23.4! Really happy with this as for the first 2 weeks never went above 13.7 :Aghast:. Also, with my 2 litre Accord, I was always very wary of my MPG and if I got less than 38 combined was very stressed. In this car I really do not mind as it is so nice to drive I do not mind paying extra for fuel :lol:

18. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi Will try that this week with the cruise when i go back to work. The other small irritation with the cruise is if you are going round a slight bend on a motorway and a truck is on the inside it seems to think that it is in my lane and starts to slow down. I guess its just little gremlins with the system on the whole i love it though. As for the MPG i think you must be a little more heavy footed than me or you do a lot more town driving. I've traveled about 500 miles this week 400 on the motorway and a 100 miles round town and im averaging 28.3 at the moment and im more than happy with that. Not sure how accurate the fuel computer will prove to be yet though.
    Back to the reason for starting this thread i managed to get my service record from Honda not as much detail as i would have liked or hoped for but will sit down over the next few days and have a good look at it.

Matt