Service & Maintenance Service time - what to have done

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by runboy, Tuesday 9th Dec, 2014.

1. runboy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    So your Accord 2.4 automatic is due for its annual service. What would you say is more important to pay your local Honda dealer to do over and above the usual oil change? Spark plugs maybe, or valve clearance. Maybe the auto box could do with a flush.

I appreciate mileage is a factor, so is age, but are some service items that are recommended every 12-24 months just a money maker for the dealers?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

runboy likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Your mileage and previous service history will dictate more than anything else what's best to get done for your particular car. To generalise on what the most important bits are to keep on top of, I'll give my views but everyone's will be slightly different:

I'd say your oil and filter every 12k at most (6k being preferred by most members), air filter (25k), your transmission fluid (75k for manuals, 50k for autos), your spark plugs (75k for Iridium, 25k for standard), brake fluid (50k), fuel filter (75k), check valve clearances (75k).

Other things more require topping up than overhauling until past the 100k mark, power steering fluid, engine coolant etc. Things like your cabin filter aren't essential but can be pretty mucky after about 50k.

Check the normal service schedule in the guides section to see what Honda recommend themselves.

Btw, I'd recommend going for 0w-20 oil, use the search and you'll find plenty of discussions on it :Smile:

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the club, feel free to pop by the Introduction section and introduce yourself and your girl :Smile:

runboy likes this.
  4. runboy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Thanks for the info, interesting stuff. My Accord is an 07 with 28k on the clock so plugs were on the list to do but so we're valve clearances - is the latter worth doing on this age/mileage? Air filter is KN so hopefully a clean is all that's needed and pollen filter and wiper blades I was going to do myself.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

With just '28k on the clock I'd say not at all. From the factory it will have Iridium plugs so no need at all on that front either, they don't foul over time generally.

Infact the only things I'd do at this point are oil with filter, pollen filter because of age, and perhaps ATF as it's now 7 years since the factory fill.

Are you far off needing new brake pads? I would say bleed the brake fluid but I'm guessing you're getting towards needing new front pads anyway and it would make sense to be done then instead.

K&N filters can be cleaned quite easily as you say, bear in mind the big reason the filters give a slight performance increase (and we're talking 1-2hp right on the top of the band) is that they are marginally less restrictive than a stock filter, and thus actually filter the air worse - it's a trade-off, but not one that's ever going to make much difference either way.

6. runboy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Thanks. I noticed on the service book that the plugs were changed 2/3 years ago so I don't know if they are standard or iridium plugs, but even so I don't think a change now would give any benefit. Valve clearances I've heard mixed messages so I'm not sure what the benefit of having them done would be. I have heard that ATF change can be worth it so I'd rather go for that over new plugs. I'll check the air filter and if it isn't K+N then I change that along with pollen filter and wipers.

Looks like brake fluid and rear discs/pads were done a couple of years ago too, along with aircon service. Some one looked after the old girl!

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

She sounds like she has a pretty strong service history, if I were you I'd get oil + filter and the ATF done, I'd leave valve clearences till at least 50k, they're very unlikely to be out of spec at this point.

Nighthawk likes this.