Guides Servicing the 8th Generation 2.4 Petrol (CU2/ K24)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 30th Dec, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Today was the first time I got my hands on a 8th Generation, I always wanted the opportunity to get my hands on one and work on them & make the comparative differences from the 7th Generation. I have to admit working on the 8thgen has been a joy. Honda has definitely made the entire engine bay highly accessible and there has been a thought process for everything. Working on the car was extremely easy and this How to \DIY guide is to demonstrate the ease of this task. I urge all 8th Generation Petrol owners to give it a try it is relatively painless.

The patient 2.4 Saloon on arrival pretty clean but washed and detailed once all the mechanical work were complete.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (44).

Next get the car Jacked up and please make note of this guide for

Lift and Support Points for the 8th Generation
    AOCUK 8th gen Lift and Support 2.
    AOCUK 8th gen Lift and Support.

It goes without saying the engine should be warm before you drain the oil from the engine, once its safely on the axle stands we need to remove the engine cover. You can also remove the manual transmission oil with this cover off . The 7th Generation owners will know the pain of removing the entire plastic splash guard to remove the MTF oil. The 7th Generation does have a small cut out of the drain bolt but by providing this larger cover it makes sense all round.
    AOCUK 8th gen Engine Oil Replacement.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (14).

Remove the engine oil dipstick and remove the engine oil filler cap. On removal of the engine oil filler you will notice a thin layer of debris and grit. Make sure you wipe this layer with a moist rag immediately as this can fly into the engine if there is a breeze blowing. Also wipe the dirty engine oil from the thread pitch of the engine cam cover. Also take this opportunity to inspect the filler caps rubber washer to see if is nor deformed and the entire seal as a uniform oil residue around it. Place the filler back on the cam cover but not seated place a cloth over it to stop any flying into the engine.

Handy Tip The Engine oil filler cap can sometimes be seized on due to the engine heat , place a microfibre cloth over the filler and use a plyer preferably with worn grips to turn the cap. This will ensuring your filler cap comes off easily and it doesn't have plyer grip marks.

Using a 17mm spanner remove the drain plug and drain the old oil into an oil collector. I use a wide mouth funnel to lessen the oil splatter save up mopping up dirty oil from the ground after you have finished.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (12).

AOCUK 8th gen Engine Oil Replacement drain plug.

It is advisable to wear gloves for engine oil removal for one it messy and two old engine oil is highly toxic and regular contact with used engine oil can lead to cancer. So please take precautions in handing this toxic waste.

On removal of the drain bolt clean the threads of the bolt and replace the crush washer with a new washer and keep it to a side. Using a Honda oil filter cup tool (see below for picture)remove the oil filter from the car.You will need a 17mm ring spanner to loosen it.
    AOCUK 8th gen Engine Oil filter cup tool.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (11). Make sure the rubber seal from the old oil filter is not stuck to the oil filter seating surface on the engine. Take a clean rag with some petrol on it and clean this seating surface area thoroughly, make sure this cloth does not leave any fibre or stands around the oil filter thread pitch, the threads are sharp and it can easily catch some fibres. The placement of the oil filter is perfect as compared to 7th Generation, it easy to get to and there isn't a mop of old engine oil .it neater and keep the engine block and sump free from engine oil residue. I let the engine oil drain for a good 30 minutes before I replace the sump bolt and torque it to the specified torque settings.

I like to prime new oil filters with fresh oil before the go into the engine , its a habit but this ensures the after the oil replacement the oil filter is not running dry. The engine oil refill capacity for the 8th Generation are as follows

At Oil Change without oil filter: 4.0 L (4.2 US qt, 3.5 lmp qt)
    At Oil Change Including Filter: 4.2 L (4.4 US qt, 3.7 lmp qt)
    After Engine Overhaul: 5.3 L (5.6 US qt, 4.8 lmp qt)

I decant 200ml of fresh oil, for this service I used Fuchs titan race pros-5w-40 previously called Silkolene I poured the fresh oil into the filter and rotate the filter until it reaches saturation point, it reaches this point around 160ml the rest just pour into the engine. Then apply a light coat of new engine oil to the filter rubber seal. I strongly suggest Accord owners and all Honda owners to use only Honda genuine oil filters as they have a built-in bypass system. if you have to use aftermarket one please ensure they have this system.

Get the oil filter on the thread pitch by hand first then using the cup filter tool torque up the oil filter to 12 N·m (1.2 kgf·m, 8.8 lbf·ft)

Handy Tip You just have to fill up 4 litres on the DOT. This method is the easiest way to get the Engine oil levels bang on without the risk of under and overfilling. Let the engine run for more than 5 minutes, then check for oil leaks.

On completion of your checks put the engine cover back dab a small amount of copper grease to aid future removal. Do not over tighten these bolts, torque to the specified torque as per the above diagram.If SvRS is enabled on the car use the Honda HDS software and HIM to reset the service schedule. Since I have the HIM and this is achieved easily.

Air Filter Change. Honda have done away with four 8mm bolts on the 7th Generation and gone back to clamps. It a simple case of unclipping and the remove the old filter.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (47).
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (10). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (9). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (7). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (8). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (6). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (2).

Handy Tip Wear some hard wearing gloves ,these clips need you apply pressure to clamp on and if you are not careful they can cut your fingers.

Pollen Filter change Again the removal process is an improvement from the 7th Generation no more glove box removal it a straight forward change. Open the Glove box remove everything from it, then remove the shelf holding the left corner and the top right corner gently pull. On it removal make not of the tabs and groves as they need to be grip into the slots.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (24). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (22). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (23). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (23).

You will be presented with this inspection hatch pull the tab inward and pull out again take note of the tabs and the receiving slots.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (18). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (19).

You now have access to the Pollen filter hatch again pull the tabs on either sides inwards and pull out to replace the pollen filter cartridge.Replace the old filter with a fresh cleaner pollen filter , as you can see this car was well due for its replacement.
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (17). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (15). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (5). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (4). AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (3).
    AOCUK 8th Gen DIY  (16).

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice write up dude !

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud it was time ago that ! seems like ages ago :Smile: That what happens when you having fun.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Funy enough I done all above today on my own.
    Wanted to do brake fluid also but don't have equipment for it.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    where are the pictures then mate?

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did not take any because you already made this lovely guide.

IMG-20130401-WA0006.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff matey get the DIY bug!

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its about time for me to get my hands dirty.
    Bought loads of stuff for DIY.
    Bought superb Arcan jack on Speedy recommendation.
    Snap on socket set,all good quality tools.

Last edited: Tuesday 2nd Apr, 2013
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I can see all my recommendations in the picture LOL.

Good stuff !

And good to see you getting stuck into it. :Thumbup:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Snap on sockets damn you pushed the boat out , even I don't have a set of them..

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

He he blame Speedy.
    He has emptied my wallet with his recommendations LOL
    JK wanted something that will last good few years plus if something is good I tend to look after it.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    is it snap on or blue point? Well tools you have to buy the best no point buying mickey mouse tools buy once and be done with it.