Guides Setting up Pioneer AppRadio with Android Stick

Non model specific

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The developer of ARUnchained found my write-ups here somehow, and gave me some helpful feedback, which I will be incorporating into the guides. Below is his feedback. He's also asked if he can link to these guides, which I said is fine (more exposure for HK :Grin:)

1) For a Nexus 5 and Android sticks you do not need to set SELinux in permissive mode. It won't hurt but it's not necessary. It has to be done for Samsung devices with Android 4.4.x or higher though.
    2) It's not necessary either to install the Carkeyboard app. It's Pioneer cripple way of inputting stuff when you are using the stock AppRadio app. With ARU however you can just use the normal keyboard.
    3) You don't need a monitor for initial setup but can just use the HU. Basically you can connect anything to the HDMI input and show it on the screen. When a valid HDMI input is detected, the Apps icon lights up, hit it and then just press ignore for the BT connection. Then input will be shown on screen. For initial setup you only need a mouse.

I've incorporated his feedback into the guides, and it makes the process even quicker and simpler. I'll also update my Tasker post on the Nexus 5 guide

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I was considering leaving the Android stick connected permanently in my car (in testing it didn't get too hot, so it could be mounted somewhere behind the dash). Only real issue I have with doing this is that the Android stick does not have a battery like a phone, so as soon as I turn off the ignition, it just shuts off, without a proper shutdown, so could cause data corruption issues. It can also take a while to boot up (depending on what Android stick you use, anywhere from 30 second to 3 minutes).

One obvious way around this is to power the Android stick directly from the battery (I assume some sort of power converter would be needed to go from 12v to 5v - I may be wrong, but I know next to nothing about car electrics). This way, the Android stick is aleady booted up when you turn on the stereo, so connection to the head unit will be much quicker. The issue here is how long it would take the Android stick to completely drain the battery. Anyone got any ideas ?

I guess another option would be to use a cheap Android phone in place of the Android stick, as this would have a battery in it, and would only 'trickle charge' if left connected to the car battery. It would also have built in 3G, maning no need for a 3G Dongle / wifi tether. Only problem is most of the cheap Androdi phones don;t have MHL / SlLimPort support

Last edited: Monday 13th Oct, 2014
  4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Something I forgot to mention (but have now added to the guide) is that one issue I had with using an Android stick (as opposed to a phone) is that if you don't have internet access, the time on the Android stick will most likely be incorrect (it has not battery to keep the correct time if you turn it off). If you have wifi / 3G dongle connected to the Android stick, then ensure that time and timezone are set to automatic.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Great guide Roger !

You can also (I think on most Android phones) share your internet connection out to other devices

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. Yeah you can. Just drains the battery of the host device, and is one more thing to turn on, or another thing to plug in for charging . But then I suppose that as long as you preconfigure the android stick with the tethered WiFi on you mobile, it will auto connect when you enable tethering on the mobile, and you should able to create a widget on your mobile to toggle tethering with one tap.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

First class job Roger. Thank you for posting.

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. compart New Member Getting Started

Canada Alain montreal
    Good morning, hope you will see my comment !

Very nice guide except at a certain moment I am lost with the config as a result I was never able to make it work.
    Here is my config, maybe you could help me.
    1 Appradio 2 + HDMI, and USB Cable
    1 Android sticke 4.4.2 rooted
    1 Android phone 6.0.1 Galaxy S7 edge rooted

ARU paid application as well the AR injector.

And 1 keyboard for the first setup.

I followed your guide with success up to the moving of ARU as a system apps. I did it on the phone.Then I am lost, because you explain you need to start on the phone but what I see is you started on the android stick. I am perplex because I tried all config except the good one !!! And I never succeed to make it work.

Any help ill be greatly appreciated.

Alain

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hello @compart and welcome to HK.
    It's customary for new members to tell us a little about themselves and their Honda(s) in the Introduce Yourself Section before posting up questions.

The author of this thread is currently offline, but I'm sure he will respond when he can.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi

If ARU is not working, then it's best to speak to the author of the ARU application. I haven'ts used AppRadio for a long time, but I think it is still being updated regularly. Look under Google+for ARu - they are a very helpful buncg. Sorry I can't help more.

Nels likes this.
  11. Creativeguy New Member Getting Started

United States Creative Cincinnati
    Roger,
    I had an old RKM mk802IV. I followed guide. works great but when the stick is hooked up and running and I hit the home button on the stereo to go back to the radio function...it doesn't work. Is that the way it should be? I powered the stick off and then it works.

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

No idea, sorry. not used appradio for ages. i would think home would send you to home in android. can't remember..