Non model specific

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    RogerH69 submitted a new resource:

Setting up Pioneer AppRadio with Nexus 5 - Non model specific

Read more about this resource...

2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I've been playing around with an Android app called Tasker (paid for app), setting it to automate some tasks, depending on whether I am using the AppRadio unit or not.

Tasker is a cool utility that lets you perform almost any tasks (either built in to Tasker, or by way of plugins). It works by you setting a Profile (where you tell it what conditions must be met for that Profile to be valid) and then you assign that Profile a set of actions, grouped together as a Task. You can assign a Task to perform when 'entering' the Profile (i.e. all conditions for that Profile are valid) or 'exiting' the Profile (i.e. one or more of the conditions for that Profile are no longer valid).

The one I've setup for when I connect to AppRadio is below.

What I wanted to achieve - When I have my phone in AppRadio mode, I want the phone to set Auto Brightness off, change input method to CarKeyboard, set volumes at max, change launcher page to home page, set phone to forced landScape mode and to launch an app that allows me to turn off phone backlight without locking the handset. When out of AppRadio mode, (i.e. I disconnect the phone from the cable going to the head unit) I wanted to change settings back.

~Note- By default, when exiting a profile, Tasker will changed settings back to what they were before entering the profile. However, as I have other tasker profiles configured as well, I added an exit condition for this profile, to ensure. Also, if you use a plugin as part of the Task when entering the profile, you usually need to add a Task to reverse what you did with that plugin (not 100% on this as I have only used Tasker for a day now, but that seems to be how it works on my phone)

An export of the Tasker profile I created is below -

Profile: AppRadioConnect (2)
    State: HDMI Plugged
    State: BT Connected [ Name:AppRadio SPH-DA110 Address:* ]
    Enter: AppRadioConnected (3)
    A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:Off ]
    A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Input Method/CarKeyboard Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Messed:ecure Settings Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: Alarm Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A4: BT Voice Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A5: In-Call Volume [ Level:5 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A6: Media Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A7: Notification Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A8: Ringer Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A9: System Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A10: Go Home [ Page:0 ]
    A11: Rotate [ Configuration:Landscape Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A12: Launch App [ App:Messed:creen Standby Lite Data: Exclude From Recent Apps:On ]​

Exit: AppRadioDisconnected (8)
    A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:On ]
    A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Input Method/Google Keyboard - English (UK) Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Messed:ecure Settings Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: Rotate [ Configuration:Forced Auto Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]​

As you can see, one of the actions in both Tasks refer to Secure Settings. This is actually an app from Google Play Store, which can act as a plugin for Tasker. The reason I use it is because I want to switch the default input method to CarKeyboard when entering AppRadio Mode and back to Google Keyboard - English (UK). It is free to use, but more advanced options require you to upgrade. Luckily, what I wanted to do is included in the free functionality :Grin:. I have upgraded though (via an in-app donation), as I really like the app.

Note - if you want to use Secure Settings to change Input Method, you need to enable the System+ module within the app. Some options will also require you to set the Secure Settings app as a Device Administrator under security settings on the phone.

Another cool thing you can do with the Secure Settings plugin for Tasker is to change your launcher, so you can have one launcher configured for normal use, and another one (example with bigger icons, different fonts, tiles instead of icons, whatever) for when you are connected to the head unit, operatinmg in landscape mode.

Using the setup above, I leave bluetooth enabled on my phone all the time (I do this anyway for use with other devices) and it will connect to bluetooth on the head unit automatically, allowing me to use hands free dialing and audio via bluetooth, and will only go into AppRadio mode when I connect the HDMI connection (via the SlimPort Adaptor)

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I got some feedback from the developer of ARUnchained and together with the fact that Screen Standby Lite keeps crashing in my phone, I have changed my Tasker profile for AppRadio a little. I no longer use CarKeyboard, or Screen Standby Lite, and I use Tasker itself to set brightness. Even though I don't turn off the backlight completely, I set it all the way down. I mostly use AppRadio for media anyway, and the phone turns off screen after a while and locks the handset, so no need to worry about the display being on. You may notice that that the Exit task runs Rotate twice. This is because sometimes, when setting rotation back to Forced Auto, it did not take effect properly. Setting it to portrait and then Forced Auto seems to do the trick.

Profile: AppRadio (2)
    A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:Off ]
    A2: Alarm Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A3: BT Voice Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A4: In-Call Volume [ Level:5 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A5: Media Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A6: Notification Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A7: Ringer Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A8: System Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A9: Go Home [ Page:0 ]
    A10: Rotate [ Configuration:Landscape Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A11: Display Brightness [ Level:10 Disable Safeguard:On Ignore Current Level:On Immediate Effect:Off ]​

A1: Rotate [ Configuration:Tongue:ortrait Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A2: Rotate [ Configuration:Forced Auto Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: Display Brightness [ Level:74 Disable Safeguard:Off Ignore Current Level:On Immediate Effect:Off ]
    A4: Auto Brightness [ Set:On ]​

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm going to be recording a short video of the view on the Nexus 5 display during the entire setup process of ARU, ARU GPS, Pairing to the head unit, and initial conenction, calibration and first use. That should be up soon. Due to my shoddy recording skills, I won't include any video of the head unit, but I will note in the video at which point I start controlling the phone with the head unit.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

And I've changed my Tasker profile again. Someone pointed me in the direction of a cool Android app called Second Screen which enables me to set backlight off properly, AND it supports Tasker.

Updated Tasker profile is below. Note - if you replicate this, ensure that in Second Screen, you select Safe Mode, and deselect Enable auto-start

In Second Screen, I setup a profile named AppRadio, which specifies AppRadio as it's screen type. In Tasker, I then add an entry task of loading Second Screen with the AppRadio profile, and add an exit task of loading Second Screen with the 'Turn Profile Off' profile

A1: Alarm Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A2: BT Voice Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A3: In-Call Volume [ Level:5 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A4: Media Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A5: Notification Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A6: Ringer Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A7: System Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A8: Go Home [ Page:0 ]
    A9: Rotate [ Configuration:Landscape Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A10: SecondScreen - Load Profile [ Configuration:AppRadio Package:com.farmerbb.secondscreen.free Name:Messed:econdScreen - Load Profile Timeout (Seconds):0 ]​

A1: Rotate [ Configuration:Tongue:ortrait Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A2: Rotate [ Configuration:Forced Auto Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: SecondScreen - Load Profile [ Configuration:Turn profile off Package:com.farmerbb.secondscreen.free Name:Messed:econdScreen - Load Profile Timeout (Seconds):0 ] ​
    - - - Updated - - -
    Video added to guide, showing software install process

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have a pin code on my phone lock screen and this means that unless I wake up my phone before connecting it to my head unit, AppRadio Unchained will not connect to my head unit properly. For this reason, I updated the Tasker profile I use for AppRadio connection and disconnection to automatically disable / re-enable the lock screen PIN (using functions with the Secure Settings addon).

At first it failed, until I found out that many devices will not allow you to disable lock screen (even if you have root access) if the screen is off. So, the Tasker profile 'enter task' now wakes up the phone (for 20 seconds, which is an arbitrary number to ensure it stays awake long enough to finish all the activities in the Tasker profile - 5 seconds is enough), it then disables the lock screen (which switches to 'swipe to unlock') and carries on with the other activities.

I also updated the Tasker profile 'exit task' to re-enable the PIN lock (obviously being VERY careful I typed in the correct PIN). I've exported the full Tasker profile below. I've had to do it in a code block, to stop Smilies appearing where I don't want them, so I can't apply any formatting to the Tasker Profile (which would make it easier to follow).

This way, I can connect my phone without first unlocking it and when disconnecting it, it also automatically locks the phone again.

Basically what happens on AppRadio connection (HDMI connected AND bluetooth connected to AppRadio) -
    1. Use Secure Settings plugin to wake up phone (i.e. take it to PIN prompt screen (keep phone on for 20 seconds, unless another command sets it to goto sleep)
    2. Use Secure Settings plugin to clear Password / PIN
    3. Set volumes all to max
    4. Use Rorate plugin to set rotation to Landscape
    5. Use Second Screen plugin to turn off backlight
    And what happens on AppRadio disconnection (HDMI disconnected OR bluetooth no longer connected to AppRadio)-
    1. Use Secure Settings plugin to wake up phone wake up phone
    2. Use Secure Settings plugin to set Password / PIN
    3. Use Rotate plugin to set rotation to Portrait
    4. Use Rotate plugin to set rotation to Forced Auto (I needed to first set to portrait as it sometimes ignored the setting to Forced Auto if I didn't first set to Portrait)
    5. Use Second Screen to set backlight on again
    6. Lock phone again (turn off screen and lock phone)
    Code:
    A1: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Screen & Keyboard Lights On
    20 Seconds Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Clear Password Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: Alarm Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A4: BT Voice Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A5: In-Call Volume [ Level:5 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A6: Media Volume [ Level:15 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A7: Notification Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A8: Ringer Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A9: System Volume [ Level:7 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
    A10: Rotate [ Configuration:Landscape Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A11: SecondScreen - Load Profile [ Configuration:AppRadio Package:com.farmerbb.secondscreen.free Name:SecondScreen - Load Profile Timeout (Seconds):0 ]

A1: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Screen & Keyboard Lights On
    20 Seconds Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A2: Secure Settings [ Configuration:Set Pin Package:com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin Name:Secure Settings Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A3: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:2 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A4: Rotate [ Configuration:Portrait Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A5: Rotate [ Configuration:Forced Auto Package:nl.fameit.rotate Name:Rotate Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A6: SecondScreen - Load Profile [ Configuration:Turn profile off Package:com.farmerbb.secondscreen.free Name:SecondScreen - Load Profile Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
    A7: System Lock 

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wow that is some dedication top job.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff Roger

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm so glad I copied my Tasker profile here, as I just wiped my phone to upgrade it to Android 5.0 Lollipop without backing up Tasker :Smile:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

HondaKarma backup services to the rescue :Grin:

RogerH69 likes this.
  12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Having updated my Nexus 5 to Lollipop 5.0 and now 5.01, this guide is actually a little out of date. Plus I'm using a new version of ARU, titled ARUnchained Reloaded (ARUR).

if anyone's been following this guide and using ARU, then they may have encountered the same issues I did when I updated to Lollipop 5.01, as the 5.01 updated failed on a rooted phone, so I set my phone back to stock and then flashed the full 5.0.1 firmware and rooted the phone. This however stopped ARUR from working properly, due to ARUR needing to run as a System App, and Lollipop changing things around a little for root users.

I was able to hash up a working installation of ARUR on my 5.01 Nexus 5, and mentioned this on the Google+ page for ARUR (I'm an Alpha Tester on the ARUR Alpha page), and the author asked if I could replicate the steps required to get ARUR working properly on 5.01. I was able to, and he will included them in his upcoming User's Manual or ARUR, but I thought I'd add them here anyway (this replaces the steps involving the /system/app mover app )-

1 - Install ARUR from playstore (using link provided as a alpha tester if installing the alpha version)
    2 - Launch ARUR and run the ARUR Diagnostics. Allow to enable bluetooth and Root priviledges if prompted
    3 - The last 2 options "Install as system app" and "Can switch mock locations" will fail in the diagnostics report - this is expected
    4 - Close ARUR
    2 - Load a File Explorer app with ROOT permissions and ensure you mount as R/W
    3 - Move the file base.apk from /data/app/mars.area51.arunchained-1/ to /system/priv-app/
    4 - Move the file libarunchained.so from /data/data/mars.area51.arunchained/lib/ to /system/lib/
    5 - Reboot phone
    6 - Launch ARUR and run the ARUR Diagnostics. Allow to enable bluetooth and Root priviledges if prompted. All tests should now pass

Strangely, if you skipped steps 2, 3 and 4, when you rebooted and launched ARUR, it would often come up with an error that ARUR has stopped responding - we suspect this is due to the permissions on folders not being set correctly if you don;t launch ARUR before setting it as a system app.

One of the main reasons that ARUR does not work properly is that it has not been set as a system app properly, so I made a suggestion that the developer of ARUR look at getting ARUR to make itself a system app automatically, which he said he will look into :Smile:

I must say I'm glad to see some people still put a lot of time and effort into developing quality apps for Android, especially seeing as the AppRadio doesn't even work with any iOS devices upgraded to iOS 8 :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Android development is plenty healthy, despite predictions several years ago.

Nice little write that mate. One day I'll get round to checking out AppRadio

RogerH69 likes this.