General She Rides - For Another Year

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Friday 4th Dec, 2015.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just had the dreaded MOT, and it passed with almost flying colours.

MOT tester turns out to be a mechanic who used to work at a local place in my old home town... I moved here 6yrs ago and he's now working at the place I've been going for the last 5yrs.

Only two things were flagged up Headlights needed adjustment which he did there and then. The two inner rear lights on the tailgate had both blown but because I showed him the new bulbs I had in the car he let me swap them over there and then without penalty

The only other thing that he noticed was the driver side rear calliper was dragging a little. The brake test showed 18kg of forced needed on the other side whilst 27kg of force was needed on it.

As I had new discs and pads all round, it's most likely just the sliders... and I think you can get a kit for that.

I dropped a bottle of cataclean in the tank at the start of the week and did about 100 miles, on the way home last night I got a nice clear stretch of road and got the car up to 70 in 3rd or about 3800rpm and saw a huge cloud of black soot out of the exhaust. Did that 3 times along a 2 mile stretch of road and by the 3rd time it was clear. It obviously helped because the smoke test was perfect. :Smile:

Because I knew the guy, he didn't mind me hovering around whilst he did the test... and I found a couple of new dings and scratches that I'd never noticed before whilst it was up high on the ramp. I also noticed a tiny little bubble of corrosion on the trailing edge of the drivers door... no more than 3mm and it hasn't broken the surface of the paint... But I was a little irked all the same.

So pleased to have another MOT under my belt for the grand sum of £45

Tomorrow I'll fit the new battery, and in the new year it's time for the annual server... I'll get the slider kit then and do the rear brakes along with a full brake flush.

FirstHonda, Chunkylover53 and Nels like this.
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Great news:party:

Heckler likes this.
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Heckler likes this.
  4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Always nice to get the all clear at MOT time. Well done sir.

Heckler likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Another MOT passed. :GoodJob::likeit:

:sparta:

Heckler likes this.
  6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That dragging calliper may explain why my MPG's on the previous tank were down so much... averaged 47mpg in Oct but only 35mpg in Nov... Some of that i can put down to more shorter journeys but even when I was doing that on my old Mondeo I was still getting low 40's.

Is it better to replace the calliper with a refurbished one or do the sliders?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's not just the sliders that can cause it to stick, it could be the handbrake part of the caliper (if it is that type of caliper).

Heckler likes this.
  8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    7th Generation Accord Tourer has separate handbrake (drum). It might be the pads sticking in the caliper (I know they're new but it depends who did it and the "fit" of the pads).

Heckler likes this.
  9. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I only replaced the discs and pads, never did anything with the handbrake... mainly because I didn't know it was built like that at the time.

I'll have to get it checked out.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Heckler likes this.
  11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Good news! Our wee Yaris also passed (on Thursday) with no issues, she's about to turn 15!

Heckler likes this.
  12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great news, I used re-conditioned calipers as I've had to replace both of mine.

Heckler likes this.
  13. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Where do you get your callipers from?

14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got mine from York Motor Factors in York.