General Shell Customer Service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pottermus, Tuesday 6th Oct, 2015.

1. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I called in at Shell yesterday (as most ATR owners do) and there was a dude from Shell standing on the forecourt as I drove in who offered to put my fuel in for me. I said I'd just do it myself as it was probably quicker, but he was insistent on doing it for me until I pointed out he was tightening my fuel cap rather releasing it. Nevertheless, he was very polite and giving it the American "have a nice day now" sort of spiel.

I've got to go again for more fuel after work (don't laugh diesel owners) so I'll see if it was a one off or something.

DeviateDefiant and Nighthawk like this.
  2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    :Laughing:

Last time I put fuel in my Accord was 380 miles ago and I still have just a touch under half a tank to go. Admittedly, I am pretty sure that your Accord is substantially more fun to drive than mine :Laughing:

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I put £30 in yesterday and then Pottermiss decided she wanted to go to Ikea in Warrington (about 50 miles away) last night, so the fuel light came back on as we were pulling up outside our house.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

They do it at the Shell station in Milton Keynes, have done for a couple of years. I hardly ever see anybody take up the offer though...

As an aside, my Mother NEVER put fuel into a car in her life, and she wouldn't have known how to (well, that was her story). We kept an account at a tiny filling station for years up to the early 1990s as they had the old pumps that had to be used by an attendant.

Long gone now...shame!

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In my 15 years of driving I've never known it before. I thought it only happened on 1970's American TV shows.

Bones126 likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I grew up as a kid with that level of service. In South Africa, noone ever fills up their own cars. You pull into a station, an attendant comes up, cleans your windscreen, tops up your engine oil, washer fluid etc, fills the tank and all you do is just sit there in the drivers seat and chill out and then give them the cash afterwards. I never let any one of them open the bonnet of my cars. Had a friend who had their engine filled up with fresh oil at a garage - literally filled it to the brim.

Then as you pull out and stop at the next set of lights, you get people crowding around your car offering you newspapers, flowers and mops.

I miss home

Harvey, legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I remember similar @Nighthawk - certainly cleaning the windscreen and filling the car up while my Father sat in the drivers seat - paying by passing cash to the attendant when he had finished. That was the late 1970s in Bucks.

The only question was which 'star' of petrol the car needed. Whatever happened to 2 & 3*??

You are just too young @Pottermus :Whistle:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    They did it at my local Shell about a year ago but it soon stopped, there seams to be this reluctance to people allowing us to be helped without thinking there is a cost attached :-/

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I just wouldn't want a stranger filling my car up, potentially not being as careful as I'd like.

My OCD won't let me take the risk...:Laughing:

Nels, Nighthawk and Bones126 like this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Plus the possibility of the instruction "go over a £ each time" to help Boost profits Lol

11. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    Driving through Washington state there are a few stations I used where they offer the same service. It was superb being able to walk into the shop knowing someone was filling the car while I filled my face.
    In the UK, as a disabled driver, you are meant to flash your headlights twice and a Womble is meant to appear to fill you tank with a chip and pin machine. Brilliant scheme for those stuck in a wheelchair, or those unable to walk far without assistance and it's all explained in the handbook you get with your parking permit... Except I'm yet to find a station attendee that knows about the assistance system In the UK, pleanty know the signal in Europe, and I guess I'm lucky I don't need that help, but man do I get annoyed when I see someone in a wheel chair trying to fill up with no help.

Bones126 likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They did this in Leeds a few years and when I used to use Shell , the fuel attended I chatted every time I went in, he got a better job and that was the end of the fuel attendant at that pump.I was told subsequently al the bigger shell garages in Leeds stopped the attendants soon after.

He did tell me he was making 100 quid a week in tips!

13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I do know someone who makes her husband either follow her or meet her that the local garage so he can put petrol in her jag, then she walks in a pay :Nuts:

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Sounds like home to me aswell.
    Never touched a fuel nozzle ever as it was all done for us by the attendants, windshields cleaned, washer topped up. Next set of lights kids will offer you roses (to buy) and clean your windshield with what was most likely drain water + detergent solution before you have the time to beg them to stop and pay them.

I should mention that some fuel stations (specially Shell) were notorious for one attendant distracting you while other would 'pretend' that he has filled up your car.. it was so common with Shell that they had vans that you could call in if you suspect that you havent been given the fuel you paid for and they will arrive in 15-20 min and had equipment to test.. if you were right then the pump owners would get into trouble.

One thing I actually miss is that back home we had pumps where you could either enter required liters or cost and pump would stop automatically.. saved you from hunting for next 10p

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The BP station in Aylesbury has that - you can press a button on the pump before you start to set it to deliver £5, £10 or £20 (I think).

16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Used a petrol pump in Spain 15 years old that had that, I was puzzled why all petrol stations didnt have that option.

17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    can you imagine 'extra' income each pump must be making per day through people paying 2-5p more than they wanted to? no wonder not many pumps have the option.

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've never come across these in the UK, after having my Accord damaged by cowboys I would't let someone else fill it up.

19. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That must have been a spirited drive up the M6 then lol

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    A local petrol station here is attended, their prices are about 10p a litre more than anyone else.