Fuel Efficiency Shell VP Diesel cocktail

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by MikeM-271048, Friday 1st Apr, 2016.

1. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    I was trying to run the whole of my trip to UK and back on Shell VP Diesel. At the end of the run, I had an overall score of 6.4 litres/100km. That's a rather disappointing 44.5 MPG, but my travel plans for the return leg were screwed by booking.com (hotel unable to honour a confirmed reservation) and Eurotunnel (45 minutes delay on the crossing), which meant I had a hurried drive from Calais to Strasbourg yesterday. At 130kmh you can see the fuel guage dropping with the naked eye.
    The high consumption on that leg, and the fact that Shell only have VP Diesel in some of their motorway service areas, meant that I failed to reach a pump before it was necessary to refuel. I cursed, and put in 25 litres of standard Shell Diesel. This morning, as I left Strasbourg, I happened on another station (I think I might have reached it, too) that did have the premium product. So I topped up with another 27 litres or so of VPD. And although I couldn't drive as fast through France and Switzerland as yesterday, I got 5.76l/100 driving back as far as Novara where I found the last station selling VPD in my region. This at an average speed of 95km/h that would have been a good deal higher but for queues at the French/Swiss border, the Gotthard tunnel, and the Swiss/Italian border. 5.76 is nearly 50mpg, not too shabby a result given that the boot was full of things you can't buy in Italy. Canadian Cheddar, Pickled Walnuts ...

Toggerefc and FirstHonda like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Were you fully laden up with weight and passengers?

3. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    On the outbound leg we were two up (140 kg combined) with perhaps 50 kg luggage and 35kg wine. On the return trip, about the same liveware weight and luggage. The wine stayed in UK.
    I forgot to say the energetic driving yesterday was AirCo and Eco off, while today we had AirCo and Eco on. Given the previous discussion of AirCo and MPG, this was a big surprise.
    As the fact that I am back somewhere between 45 and 49 since I topped the tank at Novara. The motorway was clearer, so back to 130kph, I suppose.

4. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@MikeM-271048 I've noticed a slight improvement in MPG, but it is temporary I fear!

image.

5. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Hahaha! You went up to the top of a big hill, turned off the engine and restarted before idling down to the bottom?

6. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Near enough, although car was in drive all the time. Plus I drained the fuel, taped up all the doors, removed the door mirrors, pumped up the tyres, switched all electricals off and made sure the engine was run until warmed up prior. You could say it was an "official" EU MPG test.

7. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Not if you left the user manual in the glove compartment!
    The remarkable thing about my recent VP Diesel experiment BTW is that I was showing 5.8/100 all the way up to the Gotthard tunnel.
    Strasbourg is 151 metres above sea level, the tunnel is 1146 metres asl, and Novara 162 metres asl. As the traffic became more fluid on the Italian side, the increase in the speed at which I could progress must have eaten up the advantage of driving downhill.

8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

You're right, I left the brick in the car! Still going downhill it would have added to the momentum, giving an artificially better MPG.
    I'd better add "this figure is for comparison purposes only to give AN INDICATION of fuel economy and may, or may not, be achievable in every day driving".

Regarding your experiment, a difference of 1,000m must have a noticeable impact on air pressure/density and thus on MPG?

9. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Only felt it in my ears ...