General shiny honda Jazz

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by motorbikelover, Saturday 13th Aug, 2016.

1. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    cleaned and polished my wifes Jazz today it looks great see pic1 But wait whats all this see pic 2 The door line sits in from the wheel arch and has left it exposed to passing dust dirt and rain and is now rusting away. not a happy bunny. Nissan and ford both found this problem in 1998 and placed a clear plastic film on the leading edge of the arch to stop this so why is this happening on a very expensive Honda Jazz, if you have a Jazz of this type check yours and get it seen to before it gets to bad (2011 Jazz es with mudflaps) wounder if the warranty covers this.

Attached Files:

2. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Where on the car is the 2nd picture, can you show me on the 1st photo ? We have a 2010 Jazz and i have washed her yesterday, but not noticed any rust anywhere.

3. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Is that on both sides?

Looks more like some kind of damage similar to when you open a door onto a brick wall.

4. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi its not on the door it is on the leading edge of the wheel arch and it is on both sides this is a common problem on cars of years ago but i do not expect to see it now even more so on a honda.

5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Dunno I've got a 53 plate car so not sure what modern is :Wink:

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I believe this is the area..
    114555_2016-08-13_15.40.05.

jazzway likes this.
  7. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Thank you @legend-ary ! The image did show me an open door and a door jamb with rust on the edge. I only wasn't sure where. :Wink:

Now i know there is no beginning of rust there on our Jazz. As i said i cleaned her yesterday and always open the doors afterwards to dry en clean there. In May with the spring detail i also did all paint on the inside with the sealant. :Wink:

legend-ary likes this.
  8. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    How does it happen? Does the wheel poke out further than the arch causing stones to hit the body?

9. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi David
    We have 2 Jazz's both your shape and no rust where you point out. If my memory serves me right there is a 12yrs corrosion warranty but I think you have to have full honda service history. I think you'll find the info in your hand/service book.
    What year is yours and has it done much mileage wise??.
    Regards
    Rick

10. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi jazzway and all others yes you have the spot right. How does it happen. The door is inset to the wheel arch this leaves it exposed to water and dust and anything else that passes down the side of the car as you drive along you will notice on some cars the rear door edge kicks out over the edge of the arch allowing dirt to flow past the arch and not shot blast it to hell as in my case this is why you will see on some cars a clear plastic film is put on the exposed edge to stop this happening. May i add at this point the roads round here are very good (WELL) and i do not go off road and as i said i do have mudflaps fitted to minimise this happening and the car does not do huge miles a year.

11. harry22673 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know it won't be any use towards a solution but I don't have this rust area
    I would say it might an issue with the paint but I've not seen anywhere that that particular colour had issues

12. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    It will be because the door sits to far in allowing any grit in the air that blows down the side of the car when driving to hit the arch and erode the paint. The solution is to ajust the door out so it is level with the wheel arch or as you said add some protection film.

13. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi davej5 and all others. Ajusting the door out will cause air leaks and a bad fitting door. the car has a full honda history so when it goes in to have the airbag fault done (yes still no date from honda) i will talk to them about the paint issue. like your car by the way Dave i was thinking of getting some thing as a project when i finish work next month either a early accord auto or dare i say this a Nissan bluebird.

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Might be a result of Swindon's poor workmanship...