Aftermarket Kit Short Ram Intake

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 21st Jun, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Was thinking about fitting one of these. Mainly for the sound but if I get any BHP gain then so be it. I've been searching for over half an hour now and only come across the following product which I think will fit my 1.8..

Honda Accord 1998-2002 VTEC Short Ram Induction Kit by: JPerformance -

I've looked at some videos on youtube and it seems pretty easy to do on american Accord's and I suspect there wouldn't be much difference on mine. I have also considered long ram but there are no pre made versions plus they cost more and will require me to pay a mechanic to fit them. At least with this I think I stand a good chance of fitting them, if not I'm sure somebody here will steer me in the correct direction.

Anything I should watch out for/your thoughts in general will be much appreciated

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The site I linked has very poor feedback. Nonetheless seeing as I cannot find the part elsewhere I will continue with it if they accept PayPal. That said alternative site recommendations are welcomed :Smile:

EDIT: Not gonna bother with the above - found this instead
    98-02 HONDA ACCORD 1.8L / 2.0L / 2.2L AIR INDUCTION KIT | eBay

I trust its a short ram induction kit?

EDIT 2: I'll probably change the actual air filter on the unit afterwards too - no idea whether its any good

Last edited: Saturday 21st Jun, 2014
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Short ram intake is great for noise but picks up hot air from engine. TBH though for an otherwise stock setup it's not going to make any noticeable negative difference.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant. Guess the sites a bit optimistic with 6-10 BHP gain! Nonetheless I'm going to try and open + remove everything required before purchasing the intake to make sure I actually stand a chance of installing it. Thanks for your help :Smile:

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    You will get better gains from the stock intake system.

Remove the resonator from behind the bumper and throw it in the skip.

Smooth out the inside of the airbox. and replace the filter for a pipercross jobbie.

This will increase the noise slightly but not to the extent a short ram would. What it does do is continue to provide cold air to the engine, which IMO is better than any noise.

If you wish to increase the noise a little, you can remove the J pipe from the intake pipework. This is designed to remove the noise by allowing the sound to go up the J pipe, hit the end and return at 180 degrees out of sync, therefore cancelling any unwanted frequencies they deemed undesirable at the factory.

i have outlined it in this pic

Untitled-1.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Agree completely with Pete's post above, removing the resonator will give you better gains. You'll often lose low-end torque and gain on the high end with a CAI, with a SRI you lose low-end and high-end from all the heat soak. Of course, we're not talking drastic amounts here at all.

If you don't care and just want a beefy sound, get a K&N, Injen, Pipercross, AEM, A'pexi etc. cone filter and just rig up some intake piping from PVC tube to match the diameter of the throttle body outlet as close as possible. Rig it to get wherever you can in the bay that's likely to get in the coldest air for performance, or just short as possible for maximum "babahhh".

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the advice guys, I'd be lying if I said I understood what was said though. Going to do some research into the resonator, what sort of filter, j pipe + throttle body and get back to you guys. Also I know it sounds vain but all I really want is that bwaaah noise, any performance gains would be an afterthought.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The resonator is short-hand for an "acoustic resonator" normally a big black plastic box hidden away behind one of the arches or low down in the engine bay. After air is sucked in by your main intake pipe, it hits the resonator which effectively reduces the sound, at the cost of some air pressure and thus performance. It then hits the air filter, after that the throttle body (which controls how much air can get in), the intake manifold, and finally the head/injectors.

Biggest "bwah" means shortest pipe + largest cone filter :Smile:

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers bud, found the resonator - should be pretty easy to uninstall by the looks of things. I have removed the part circled in red before below which is the resonator. Will I not use the circled bit too then? Also can I just drive without the circled bit and resonator legally + with the car being able to pass MOTs without any advisories? resonator.

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also regarding the filter, mines a rectangular one so how would I go about getting a cone? I've seen universal ones but they are apparently not street legal (not sure if that's meant for here or across the pond though?)

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Alot of the legality side of things relates to California. In the UK no-one really knows the law well enough to judge if items are legal or not.

General rule of thumb is meeting ISO and E criteria and being marked as such. Needless to say this would equate to the very very few expensive items available and very very few people actually use them.

Your best bet if you are looking to do it on the cheap, measure your throttle body OD and then buy an ebay intercooler pipe kit the same size. You can then use all the parts and joiners to make your own intake kit. Then find a suitable filter with the correct ID to suit the pipework and fit it on the end. Should work out at less than £100

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Exactly, the circled part won't be needed. As for the MOT, I couldn't tell you about legality but I highly doubt any tester would pick up on it.

They are completely street legal but you'll have to insure yourself for an aftermarket air filter (most insurance companies also class this as when you remove the stock system like suggested, at least Admiral does for us anyway).

Yes you want to grab a universal aftermarket one, When you measure the throttle body you'll then have to find the closest piping to it (or do as @PeteMM mentioned above), the filter to go on the end you'll want to get the closest matching the use a step-up pipe to match it. For example a 60mm throttle body outlet would do well matched to a 2.5" filter, then a set-up connector from 60mm to 64mm (2.5") to connect the two (you'll normally find universal cone filters in 0.25" increments).

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry if I'm missing something major here but can't I use the ebay kit which comes with the cone filter already attached to it - use the piping to connect to the throttle body. Also remove the resonator so max airflow + noise?

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Completely forgot about insurance - no doubt I definitely need to add this if I make the change :Rant:

If I just removed the resonator, it wouldn't need to be declared/they wouldn't notice right?

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You're missing that the resonator becomes redundant when replacing with a new intake system, it wouldn't be connected. Pete suggested using the stock airbox but removing the resonator, I suggested making your own intake as you can chose a proven filter manufacturer that way. The eBay kit would do you fine, but you'd want to remove the resonator and what not too as it'd just be dead weight. Look at my Injen install guide to see what I mean.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I doubt it'd ever be picked up on, for the record insuring my tints (pricer at below 30%) plus insuring my Injen system cost me £39 in total.

17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

yes you can, but it will keep your filter in the engine bay which is simply useless for anything other than noise.

You have have increased fuel consumption due to the intake temperatures and a loud drone when accelerating, like a late 90's 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa.

The intercooler kits would allow you to make all your own pipework to put the pipe through the original hole left by the piece you circled and have the filter in behind the bumper. Loads of people will complain about sucking up water, but if your inner arch liners are in good shape and you don't make a habit of driving through floods then you will be fine. Even on our country flooded roads in winter there is little/no risk of sucking up water.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I read your guide last night, very detailed I must add. In your case I thought it was long ram?

Very reasonable - they wanted £35 for my parking sensor kit. The kit itself cost me less so I may have accidentally left it off - need to check later :Whistle:

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Just to iterate, this would then be a Cold Air Intake and not a Short Ram which is in most cases preferable. You can also get a hydroshield for the filter to stop the water issue like I have on mine.

Yes, aka. Cold Air Intake as above.

20. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter