Engine & Gearbox Short Shifter

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 13th Sep, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Has anyone ever fitted a short shifter to their Accord? Just wondering if there's enough benefit to do it as I've got a bad habit of changing gear quicker than my clutch so I end up catching it slightly occasionally. There's a Youtube video showing how to do it on my specific car, looks pretty straightforward.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah they are straightforward to fit mate.. I am not a big fan of the short shifters as you can select wrong gears... but the 7th Generation does have a massive gear gate and it not short throw like the 8th Generation that is why you do see a lot of 7th Generation doing this mod.

In the past a chap has changed from 5th to 2nd at high speed thinking he was selecting 4th to find his engine explode.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've ended up just popping a stubby gear knob on, the reduced travel is making gear changing much better for me but I prefer the shape as I tend to hold a gear knob from above rather than pistol grip style. Took a bit of jiggery pokery to get the leather tucked up but it's all done now and I'm happy enough. Won't bother with the short shifter as this is now sufficient for me :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well I was going to suggest that too instead of a short shifter I have a S2000 gear knob on my 7th Generation and it a heavy that seems to give the long gear lever the right feel and despite the long gear gate it feels more reassured.

The Stock 7th Generation gear knob has no weight whatsoever. There have been a few used S2000 gear knobs going on ebay lately.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I got a similar one which I had on my previous accord, it's just a moderately priced ball style but with leather around it to keep with the black theme of the interior and just a touch of grey on the top. The only downside is because the shaft is a little thinner the leather part is pulled in a little which it's tucked in. I'll need to revisit it and perhaps use a tiny amount of glue - I don't want to do anything that will stop me reverting it back to the original.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No one only a true enthusiast will notice a shorter gear lever, trust me.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    lol, well I'm happy with what I have! The leather is fixed, I used a chunky lock nut which was a fraction bigger than the shaft circumference and some electrical tape inside the threads to hold it tight at the base of the gear knob which is below the threaded part of the shaft (otherwise I could have just used two nuts on the threads but I'm going lower here! lol)

I pulled the leather up and over the nut which spreads it out just like the original fitting and looks normal now! I then used a very thin tie wrap to hold the leather tight in place just above the nut at the base of the gear knob so it's not visible. I'll get a photo at some point but gear shifting is nicer for me now :Smile:

Was watching Fast and Furious 6 last night - some short shifters in that! haha These films are becoming so ridiculous now but I've heard the seventh one will go back to its roots with more racing and less silliness. Tokyo Drift was quite good though for the cars, well as good as these kind of films can be! :Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Diagonal.

Rear.

Side.

Top.

SpeedyGee likes this.