Engine & Gearbox Should I buy a petrol or diesel?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Sunday 8th Apr, 2012.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi all

Newby. I'm thinking of buying an 8th Generation tourer but not sure whether to get the 2.2 I-DTEC or 2.0 i-VTEC. I do about 14k miles a year (50 mile motorway round trip daily) which is probably border line in terms of justifying buying a diesel.

Normally, I wouldn't hesitate and I'd buy the diesel every time but I've had DPF problems in the past with a Mazda and it's made me think twice about buying another diesel with a DPF.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dave

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Dave and Welcome to AOC. I would say if you are only doing 14K miles a year you would be better off with a petrol car be that a 2.0 or 2.4.

Which engine to chose will be down to your driving style and how much fun you want out of it. The 8th Generation diesels are bullet proof but they do require a owner who is very fastidious with mechanical sympathy and can adhere to timely maintenance regime.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to AOC Dave. As you know the I-DTEC does have a DPF and i'm aware of a few members who have had issues with them. Usually however it's due to the owners not knowing how to drive them and doing lots of short journeys. With your mileage however this shouldn't be a problem. What is your budget and what sort of mileage car are you after. Obviously with the diesel you get better economy but you pay more upfront. The petrols (as with all Honda's) are bomb proof and you'd have no issues. I don't think you'll find much difference in the price overall esoecially with the difference in fuel costs. The choice is yours!

4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

A test drive of each might well be what decides it as they will drive and handle differently.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Dave and welcome, I currently drive a 7th Generation diesel. But when I change cars I will go for an 8th Generation petrol, simply for piece of mind of reliability. I had no major probs with current car, but just feel newer diesels are getting too complicated due to emissions regs. You only need a few issues with a modern diesel and all that money you save in fuel is gone and then some.

6. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

My driving style is economical I'd say, not bothered about flooring it - too tight with regards to fuel especially at todays prices. I always get my cars serviced as per service book and anything that needs done gets done as soon as finances allow :Smile:

Budget wise was thinking around £10k and wouldn't mind slightly higher mileage diesel. Not overly keen on a high mileage petrol due to the above average miles I'll be adding to it.

Does the 2.2 diesel and 2.0 petrol have timing belts or chains? A chain would be a bonus.

thanks

Dave

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Chain on the diesel. Wait for a petrol head on the petrol.

8. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks Rob.

Totally agree with you that modern diesels are getting too complicated.

9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't worry about high mileage petrols to be honest I had a Civic with 200k miles on it which I owned for 5 years and it never needed anything other than routine servicing parts and a clutch. A mate bought the car off me and its still going strong, Honda petrol engines will go forever if looked after!

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mazda's are rubbish cars anyway, built from spare Ford parts from a garbage can.

I have the I-DTEC, and have NO problems at all. I religiously maintain the car, follow the SvRS to the letter and have NEVER had ANY issue with the DPF at all.

I've had periods of two or more weeks engaged in nothing but short trips, matter of a few miles - never had the DPF light up. I do however do lots of m-way mileage and that helps I guess. Overall, the engine is as bombproof as the petrol siblings.

can't comment on your personal needs, but if I were in your shoes, I would not be deterred by buying the I-DTEC.

11. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I guess a key question is what sort of real MPG do owners get from their 2.0 petrol and 2.2 diesels? I realise different driving styles will have an effect but it would give me an indication.

I've also thought about DPF removal but I'm reluctant in case DPF checks become part of an MOT.

12. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks SajA. I have to say I'm struggling to find any mention of I-DTEC DPF problems when I google it. Just thought it would be wise to check with real owners before I decide. And you're right about Mazda - lesson learned.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to add, I regularly get between 55-75mpg too. Mix of driving. Who needs a silly hybrid :Wink:

14. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do about the same annual millage 50/50 urban/ motorway, I try to get good MPG but manage to trigger the DPF every 800 miles or so, lots of high revs to get some heat into the system has always cleared it but b*ggers up your MPG.. If I did it again, I think I'd go petrol - but I'd miss the grunt!!, Diesel on the 7th Generation was quieter, pre face lifted 8th Generation scrimped on the interior noise insualtion - and it's noticable.

Az

15. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks Azzy. Swaying towards a petrol.

16. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I changed from diesel to petrol and am happy with it.MPG not bad either if you are careful with right foot(i am not)

17. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    I drove my 8th Generation 2.0 petrol automatic the 45 miles from Epsom to Hemel today, used M25 so got stuck in traffic going past the staines area, drove it like a vicar and managed to return 45 MPG over the return trip... very impressed!!! I came from a diesel and I use the car for business so it was a big risk for me, but it will be a petrol for me when it comes time to change

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's good to hear...petrol seems to be making a bit of a comeback...and the auto makes sense in traffic. For me the big plus is the reliability.

19. HOTMRD Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was in the same dilemma, however just made my order on a 2009 petrol 2.0 ex - comes on Tuesday can't w8-

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How I see the current climate being shown in bad light with the outlook for the European economy being a bleak one. I can relate to why there is a shift to come to to petrol cars.

First the Petrol car being cheaper to buy.

Second Petrol is cheaper than diesel fuel.

Third Petrol has the lower perceived faults, ( perceived ) this remark is made for all the diesel doubters who are in denial.

Forth Due to the economic condition and the daily doom and gloom played out by the printed media people are doing lesser mileage.

Fifth DPF has been blown out of proportions and the entire Euro 5 cars manufacture have been tarred with the same brush which has scared potential diesel owners.

Sixth People are riding the current storm and need reliability and not expensive bills , petrol cars are the only alternative to give that assurance.

Seventh Honda measures to penalise diesel owners with remaps,the days of tuning the diesel I-DTEC accord are numbered. I-CTDI is on borrowed time and it shelf life is no more than three years.

Eighth Petrol cars give the owner a control on their TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) Diesel are costly to repair.

Need I say more.