Fuel Efficiency Should I swap for something more economical?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by andykid, Monday 29th Dec, 2014.

1. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Having had a few heated discussions with the wife recently, I need to establish if I should try and find something more economical for my 20mile a day commute/school run.
    I think the Accord is averaging about 28mpg at the moment, don't think that's bad for a 2.4 but as I only use it for my 12 mile round trip to and from work and then another 8 on a school run, it's not really good for the finances..
    Question is should I keep it, or try and swap it for something more economical? Civic or Jazz maybe?

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Always a hard one to answer - what is economical to one person is not necessarily economical to another. What is affordable to one person might not be affordable to another. I think it comes down to, if you can afford to keep the car, then keep it, but if you could be saving money and achieving the same journeys, then the other half may well have a point. Problem is, chances are, buying another car is a large financial outlay even if you trade your car in so weighing that against the cost of fuel is also a consideration in my eyes. If I was going to downgrade, I would look at a Civic, still big enough to almost be used as a family car.

3. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Thanks for the reply...I did previously own a 2004 1.6 Civic but didn't like it, admittedly it was a 5dr executive so I felt 100 driving it but it seemed to average over 40mpg! She has a diesel xc60 so that's our family car, mine only needs to accommodate the kids for short journeys. Might have to trawl eBay for a possible straight swap....

4. Nighthawk Guest

A big factor in my book, is whether you like the car or not as that would carry a lot of weight for me and personally, I would justify an extra expense if I really enjoyed the car and wanted to keep it. My challenge at the moment is convincing the boss of actually getting myself a smaller car but thats an entirely different story and the car would purely be for selfish reasons.

Its a hard one - for me, running a 2.4 at the moment I couldn't justify, however if I had one, and I really liked it, I would make the finances work and justify the costs somehow. If I was living on the breadline, then that would be different, but if I wasnt, then I would make it work.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If this change is purely financially driven, may I suggest the following:
    Estimate annual fuel costs at current weekly mileage.
    Add in insurance and Road Fund Licence etc.
    Do the same for the possible new car and compare the difference. This assumes there is no net gain or loss in changing cars.

This will show you how much more it costs you to run the CL9. My guess is that it won't be that great based on your current mileage. When you factor in how much more you will have to spend in changing, the numbers may not stack up. Additionally, you've got one of the best cars Honda made and powered by a K24A3. Will the replacement be as reliable and well built? How much more might you have to spend on repairs etc.

If on the other hand, the savings are significant, then you will have your answer.

Hope that helps you decide, one way or another.:Smile:

6. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    I think if I start doing the figures comparing mine to say a Clio 1.4 I'm onto a loosing battle...!

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

There is a lot to be said for a peaceful life. Hope it works out okay for you, whatever happens. :Wink:

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

You would also have to factor in the costs of mechanical repairs. Renaults arent exactly reknown for their reliability.

I hope it works out for you mate

9. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    I'm on a loser either way...she is sick of me changing cars, so will moan if I do, and is obviously moaning how much the Accord eats in fuel...Oh happy days!!!

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    But with the mileage you do it ain't that big fuel advantage. A more economical car will not be that economical on short drivecycles and commuting in traffic.
    My father drives a Renault Clio 2009 1.2 petrol (65 BHP??...) his average (!) fuel consumption is higher (yes, higher!!) than mine with a relative big 2.0 i-VTEC.
    Same with my sister: drives a Renault Clio 0.9 petrol (3 cylindres, turbo). So called very econimical but they consume exactly the same as my Honda Accord 2 litre.
    And those cars are very plastic inside and not nice to drive or own. Buy such a car and within 6 months you'll get yourself again a decent car.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    If you want a economic car than the best solution in my opinion is the Jazz plenty of room,bulletproof and can achieve 40 plus MPG.

12. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dude. In my opinion (and probably Speedy too) get it lpg converted. If you plan on keeping it and do over 12000 miles/year. You'd make it back in a couple years.

I get around 270 (give or take) on around 45£ of gas... or my daily commute of 34 round trip costs around 7£

13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Conclusion: if you have a good car, keep her :OTT:

14. Nighthawk Guest

Didnt even think of the LPG option - that is a nice economical way of running her and cheaper than buying a new car. @SpeedyGee will be able to advise you better as he has installed quite a number of systems.

15. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    I would prefer to keep the beast tbh, lpg not really viable as I do a max of 8k a year..the wife does a good arguement regarding cost though...insurance, fuel, tax etc...

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    At only 8K a year it's not worth getting your car converted but maybe worth swapping it for an already converted one.

Here's an example :-

I actually get around 250 miles for a £20 (LPG is currently around 50p/litre) tank full from my 2.4 and don't drive in an economical manner at all.

17. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    If you got a car that saved you about £300 a year in tax and insurance and it was able to achieve 40mpg as opposed to your current 28mpg that would save you only about £15 a week total. Now for the sake of £60 a month would you rather drive round a in little Jazz but have no fun or would you try to keep your nice 2.4 Accord?

18. redefined_cycles Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry. Just an update. I am actually getting 205 miles of spirited driving (at last count) for 21 quid of lpg at 60p per litre.

19. andykid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy Southampton
    Thanks for all the replies....I have decided to keep the motor...any unforseen big costs may change that decision but for the moment it stays!

20. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good man.. Petrol is so cheap now I keep buying it just to burn to keep warm. its never been so good. (well it has but not for a long time)

I often toyed with the idea of buying a diesel for MPG but the cost and frequency of repairs way way out strips any savings fro my 2.4 accord no matter what brand you go for.

Smaller petrol may be good but the 2.4 isnt really that bad all things considered. And its such a nice car to drive...it says a lot really.

Good to hear your keeping it.

i-DSI likes this.