General Should the UK use Km/h, KM, xxL/100km instead of MPH, Miles and MPG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Tuesday 11th Nov, 2014.

Should Britain's roads go fully metric?

1. Yes, I think we should.

2. No, I don't think we should.

3. I don't care, I'll use whatever system the Government wants.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As some of you may or may not be aware, recently the Government has decided to change the information on width and height restriction signs to Metric, but still include Imperial measurements as well. For example having the metric on top and imperial below on a height sign, like those fitted to low bridges etc.

That has lead to me thinking that soon it would not be long before we are all forced to adopt Kilometres per hour as a speed measure and kilometres as a distance measure on all British road signs. I know Ireland has adopted them since 2005 as well as the Euro at whatever date they adopted that.

But my question to you all, is Should we adopt this metric system of measurement to fall in line with all the other countries that use the kilometre as the designated speed and distance marker, or should we be stubborn Brits and cling to our traditional Mile etc?

I know we are already a mixed up bunch with our mish mash of measurements, fuel in litres, yet consumption in gallons, pints of beer and milk etc.

I am not convinced we should do this, personally I'm happy with the way the system of speed and distance work and I'm unwilling to accept the fully metric system. I',m old fashioned in that sense and don't want to change.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Flinging EU pen pushing morons want to change it so the damn overseas lorry drivers don't have to do calculation\conversions.

Sod em we have to do that when we get there. Leave as is I say its a matter of time we will leave the EU.
    Harvey likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Prime example for this thread the German make the Vauxhall insipid but ship the car with German tyre pressure cards see below link. Can EU pass a bill for the UK get the correct measurement in place of the UK market.

Off-Topic - Vauxhall Insipid own goal

Keep dreaming they won't do it as we are perceived as soft touch, two fingers DOT com EU.
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Logically we should use the metric system as it makes 10x more sense, it benefits future generations and we're pretty backwards still being stuck on imperial.

Though personally, all I can think of is what a ballache it would be to swap around. Regardless, we should really do it.

My favourite ever quote on Metric vs Imperial, case in point:

AndyB1976 and s60r like this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I quite like the current imperial/metric mash-up!

The Headmaster of the prep school I went to didn't believe in metric, so we were taught imperial. When I went on to grammar school, I then had to catch up with metric, so my knowledge of both is a bit sketchy TBH :Grin:

So, I quite like the status quo...speed in mph, distances in miles, fuel in gallons (when did they stop showing both litres and gallons prices BTW!?), other liquids in pints, weights in pounds and ounces and then stones...but currency metric, and smaller measurements in mm, cm and metres - as I'm used to that now.

If nothing else, keeping some imperial irritates the French - which is good enough reason for me :Hooray:
    Harvey likes this.
  6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Have you been reading The Guardian again?
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm so far removed from newspapers I don't even get the reference :professor:
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well its good to know that I'm not alone in wanting to keep things as they are.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Since we are so interwoven with Europe, we should, and probably will, at some time go completely metric. It is the logical thing to do.
    Using the same thought process, we should adopt the Euro and have one common language too. There would be no misunderstandings when we go on holiday. The drivers from abroad would all be able to read our road signs and Europe would be an easier place to live in.
    Hmmm. I remember when we went decimal. Wasn't really difficult except for the poor old shop staff that had to physically re-price every single item. Decimalisation was the right thing to do, but we lost part of our national identity.

The change will come eventually @Harvey, but with any luck, I'll won't be here when it happens.
  10. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    It is a total mishmash when you analyse it. Great thread and a good debate. :Smile:

The construction industry is full of contradictions for example order your 4 x 2 timber and decide on its length in metric ie 2.4,4.8 5.5 metres.

Daft really.

Logically we should change, and I am not afraid of change.... I quite like change.

But I like the current system, it works and yes I like to be different.

I guess this will be another string to the UKIP bow..... It's a changing world.

Good post Harvey. Particularly enjoyed DD's quote above. :Grin:
    FirstHonda likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nels , your right in what you say,but as it stands I could see a massive outcry by the general public if that happened, unless the common language is English.

@s60r that is kind of true, I work in the construction industry and for the most part it seems that doors are the most common thing still imperial, timber is sized in metric but is often asked for and spoken about in imperial sizes as its easier to understand.
  12. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sorry, I think, it simply doesn´t work for one reason : the legendary "1/4 Mile Race"
    must be renamend to "0,40234 Km - Race" :Laughing:
    Harvey likes this.
  13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I don't really mind but tyres ......... lol

Tyre Width mm (Metric)

Wheel Size inch (Imperial)

Load Rating kg (Metric)

Speed Rating mph (Imperial)
    Harvey and accordheritage like this.
  14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah that doesnt really work either, even in Australia drag strips are 1/4 mile long, yet they are metric.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I want to stay with the MPH system! Too confusing changing everything.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It wouldn't feel right to be going along the motorway and cruising at 120Kph ie only 70(ish) MPH but doing a ton.
    Harvey likes this.