Engine & Gearbox Shuddering when cold...

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Al Star, Thursday 10th Dec, 2015.

1. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok.. Ave noticed recently when starting from cold and selecting 1st gear and pulling away a shuddering.. Only happens when selecting first and only for first mile or so.. Is this the start of the dreaded clutch & DMF issues..?? 07 2.2 CR-V with 75k miles..

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    May just be a glazed clutch surface, see if a good thrashing helps eliminate it.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol.. ok I'll give I'll give it a go.. I do drive it alot like Miss Daisy to be fair..!!

4. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I had a Passat with this problem and a VW mechanic told me to take the car to steep hill, then drive up the hill while slipping the clutch! I did this and it worked for a few months. I then would simply repeat the procedure.

Deglazes and removes high spots I was told.

5. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yip took it a good drive today.. drove it like I stole it .!! :Smile: now I noticed while going up a hill in say 4th or 5th at about 50 or 60 and I accelerate the clutch slips and before I know it it's hitting the rev limiter..!! :-( Hardly shuddered this morning to.. :-/ Typical..
    - - - Updated - - -
    Whats the cost of fitting a new clutch and DMF kit..? I see a kit on ebay for £477 from Luk clutches.. anyone fitted this kit..?? I take it's a pig of a job. ?

6. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    At least you now know that the clutch and/or DMF is knackered and it's not you!

Great timing though, just before Christmas :-(

7. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yea tell me about it.. I'll be driving it till after New Years out the way for sure..! Then see about getting it done..

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah shame, new clutch (and perhaps) DMF required.

9. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Had my clutch and DMF done in August at my main dealer they did it on a price match £900 fitted inc the dreaded vat

10. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Am no far off that price... LUK clutch and DMF fitted inc vat and new bolts and fluids £850.. the garage are doing it tomorrow and probably Wed before I get it back.. :Smile:

11. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got the CR-V back today.. The garage showed me the clutch and DMF that came off my car.. Clutch itself wasn't to bad.. Not down at the rivets however the DMF had about 1" to 1.5" play back and forth and the bearing was knacked.. Mechanic said the play in the DMF would have been the source of the shuddering.. So all sorted now I hope. New clutch kit DMF and bolts fitted.. found it to be alot lighter on the pedal and quieter too.. Hope it stays that way for a good while now..

Nels and Ichiban like this.
  12. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Good result