Body, Paint & Styling Side protectors (strips)

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Sunday 16th Aug, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Looking at the expanse of painted metal on the sides of my CR-V, it appears very vulnerable to shopping trolleys, car doors, etc etc. and I wondered if it is worthwhile fitting side strips.

Has anyone fitted these and if so are they easy to locate and attach, know here they can be purchased and what an indicative price is.

Thanks in advance

Keith

Toggerefc likes this.
  2. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Hi Keith
    I had mine fitted to the car by the dealer before they were delivered. IIRC it was part of (and indeed the reason for my ordering) the Convenience Pack. They were painted at the dealership, and fitted there too. I have only had the car a few days, so it is hard to judge how much real world protection they give. But they certainly provide some peace of mind.
    HTH
    Mike
    - - - Updated - - -
    I mean before the car was delivered, doh!

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mike

Thanks for that - for some reason (probably because I've never noticed them on new cars) I didn't think Honda supplied/fitted them.

I'll give the dealer a ring tomorrow and see what they say (and charge).

Keith

4. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    From memory, the cost of the package was €495, which would be about £300 ATM. But YMMV, and the exchange rate too.

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Ah - didn't realise that you weren't in the UK. Knowing how the UK arm of Honda seems to be far behind the rest of the world in relation to accessories and other aftermarket items, they will either not provide them or the price will be stratospheric.

I just found a set on e-bay (allegedly genuine Honda OEM) for £50. Pity I won't have anything to do with e-bay or pay-pal!

6. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    I think they are part of a standard UK accessory pack for the 2015MY that I got. I use the UK site for info when I don't understand WTF the Italian site is going on about.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@155695 I don't really like door protector strips but have them on my Accord as I hate dents even more.

If you are handy with the rattle cans or can get them painted at a reasonable price, you may be able to get some that are not painted. You may save an amount like that.

Alternatively, HH will give you a good price with Club Discount.

8. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    They come unpainted in the official accessory pack (at least, the dealer told me they had to paint mine).

9. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    +1 for fitting these strips.
    On order for my upcoming CR-V
    It's virtual suicide parking anywhere nowadays without some door protection since nobody really cares about other peoples' property anymore.
    Had someone pull out of a bay only the other week and side-swiped my Indy Yellow S2000 door, front wing and even the tyre!
    Can't tell me they didn't know they'd done it, yet no note to admit to it or even apologise.
    Luckily, I managed to repair it without recourse to any dent removals, but would have liked to discuss the matter with the culprit.
    I see door slammers at the supermarket almost every week. So sad.
    Anyway, these side trims are only held on with double sided tape and if you check my posting under accessories, you'll also find a copy of the fitting instructions (that includes using templates to ensure correct positioning), so no reason why you couldn't get a set from a dicounting source and fit yourself if you wanted to.
    Got to be worth having in the long run...

Toggerefc and FirstHonda like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The templates are useful as a guide, but they are not exact. You still need to line things up by eye.
    Also worth noting that it is essential to get all trace of wax etc off before you stick them on.

11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Followed Nel's advice and have ordered a set from HH.

I've got the unpainted ones as from what the man at HH said, they are a similar colour to the grey wheel arch trims already on the car. Also, I can't see the logic in painting them if, as seems inevitable, they are going to get scratches, etc. over time.

I have contacted a local bodywork shop who will fit them professionally for me. He also said if they do look out of place unpainted they can spray them no problem.

I'll report back on the outcome.

Thanks for all, the help/comments so far.

Keith

Toggerefc likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I used the unpainted ones on my 7th Generation Accord. There is a lot of logic not painting them. They served their purpose well for 10 years.
    I opted for the painted variety on my 8th Generation Accord as I now have the time (I hope) to re-paint them if needed.

There is a brief write-up of the painting and fitting in my Project Log.

:goodluck: with yours @155695, but please don't forget the before and after shots. :Photographer::Wink:

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I had the painted version on my 8th Generation Accord and have the painted version on my CR-V (if you look at my garage entry you can see them on the car quite clearly).

TBH I'm not so keen on the placement on the CR-V - right in the middle of the doors - but they do offer good protection and as @Big H says, pretty much a 'must' these days as nobody seems to care in car parks...:disagree:

Even though they are painted they are very flexible - I've never had an issue with cracking when they have been bumped. Famous last words...:Fear:

legend-ary likes this.
  14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Interesting. I think I'll see what they look like when I get them and if they do fairly closely match the grey wheelarch trims etc., then I'll leave them as they are.

If not the bodyshop say spraying them isn't an issue. As a matter of interest, the painted ones were over £100 more. Not that that worried me, it's more about the practicality of maintaining them when the day to day scratches, etc. appear.

Keith

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In 3 years and 40k miles, with a lot of parking in hotel and office car parks, the painted ones on my Accord were unmarked. And I don't believe for a moment that they'd never been hit!

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Update.

OEM side strips now fitted - see photos.

I checked the price with my local main dealer (who supplied the car) and he quoted me £203 unpainted, £303 painted, with £25 to fit.
    HH quoted £160 unpainted, £260 painted (no fitting available of course), delivery included.

This left a very difficult decision to make which took me all of a nano-second to resolve. Ordered from HH on the Monday, arrived on the Thursday. Took them to a local, highly recommended, bodyshop on the Friday, where the owner fitted them whilst I watched in 15 minutes for £10 (he couldn't believe I didn't want to do it myself). Having watched a tiler tile a wall exceptionally well in record time, as it was so easy, decided to do the remainder myself - result tiler returned to finish the job - lesson learned!

Very, very, pleased with the result and also very pleased I didn't have the painted version. One of the reasons I wanted the stripes was because I thought the car looked a bit slab sided (if you get my drift) and the stripes overcome this perception extremely well and in my opinion, make the car much more attractive as well as being functional. If they had been painted I don't think they would have overcome the "slab sided" look.

If there is any difference in the colour of the unpainted stripes from the other plastic trim on the car, I can't see it.

All that remains is to thank Nels for the very good bit of advice pointing me in the direction of HH!

Keith

New CRV 26-05-15 (2).JPG IMG_0022[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 25th Aug, 2015
    Racy Jace, Toggerefc and FirstHonda like this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^:lol::lol::lol:

18. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mmm, I see what you mean about the slab effect without the protectors, however I'll still go with the sprayed version on my white CR-V. Pictures to follow...
    Incidentally, did the pack include the fitting templates as previously described?

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I wouldn't want them in black on my white CR-V either @Big H

If you look at my car in the garage you'll see what they look like painted white on white. I think they look excellent...and do help to break up the door which IS pretty 'slab sided' without.

20. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good, I think I made the right decision.
    Incidentally, I'll be interested in peoples' opinion on the pinstripes as seen on the white CR-V in the attached clip:

Personally, very tempted, but not entirely swayed, just yet anyway.