Aftermarket Kit Side protectors

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Ralphk, Friday 12th Aug, 2016.

1. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    i am thinking about buying the side protectors for my Lunar Metallic Silver. The dealer said that they don't look right but a few pics I have seen on the forum makes me think differently. Questions are:
    Should I go for the painted version or the unpainted ones?
    Do they look silly on the car?
    Help please

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your dealer clearly is an idiot for suggesting you avoid them.

They serve a good purpose. And they come colour matched anyway, so matching your car is not an issue.

The Tumbler

I have them on my Tumbler, and I think they are great. Bit of a nuisance when cleaning and polishing etc as its another thing to have to tend to, but thats a minor thing considering how they do protect the doors.

Oh, avoid going back to that dealer too!

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Painted! The black ones will eventually fade ruining the overall look of the car.

I do think they look nice

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Painted! They actually break up the slab sides of the car and make it look better IMHO.

And they serve a good purpose...my car has them, look at the garage entry as you can see the car without and then with. They look great!

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nah, the black ones (like on mine) are VERY high quality (genuine OEM obviously!). Only reason for any colour to fade is if its not cared for properly. The black ones are bang on:Niceone:

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Black plastic and unpainted will look ok on a black car, but not on any other colour IMHO.

7. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    What I like about this forum is the way nobody says it as it is!!
    Next question, garage fit or diy?

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I got OEM "unpainted" black ones on my Jazz and they are certainly past their best before date. with care and attention they will last no doubt.

Ralphk likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Garage fitted for me, but I'm useless at DIY!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yours are painted to match the car @TheDarkKnight aren't they?

10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Garage.

And not the muppets that told you not to have it "because it doesnt look good". They arent for looks - they are functional.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If you buy the them, I believe all are sold to match the colour of said vehicle. In my case, Crystal Pearl Black. So if someone with a Passion Red CR-V wanted them, they'd get the OEM pre-painted Passion Red ones :Thumbup:

legend-ary likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Yes, agree. I think @legend-ary was referring to the unpainted black plastic version - also OEM - that you can buy.

@155695 has them unpainted I believe?

legend-ary likes this.
  12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh right ok, my bad. Misunderstood @legend-ary 's meaning there.

I've never seen the stock unpainted black (rubber looking) door protectors to be honest - certainly not for the 4th Generation CR-V at least....they may well exist though...

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

No worries :Smile:
    Here you go: Katto

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gotcha!

They bring back memories of my Cavalier....I used to shine up that plastic trim with Cherry Blossom shoe polish. Worked great! Deep black gloss on it, beaded forever and made it look classy!

(Cherry Blossom now only used for my shoes' make up! :Laughing: )

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Pictures of the unpainted version on this thread...

Side protectors (strips) (Body, Paint & Styling - )

They look fine on a black car, but I wouldn't want them on a lighter colour personally.

Mind you, I now regularly see a black 4th Generation with all the silver OEM accessories - grille, mirror covers, fog light surrounds - and it looks fab!

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Yes I did fit them, unpainted black (same as the rest of the original plastic trim on the car) and I think they look great as well as being practical. They overcome the "slab sided" impression I got of the car before they were fitted. Absolutely no indication of fade just like the rest of the plastic trim. It's all set out, including before and after photos (Post 16) in this;
    Side protectors (strips)

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013)' started by 155695, Sunday 16th Aug, 2015.

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.