General Side to side play in handbrake lever

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Rorton, Tuesday 13th Jan, 2015.

1. Rorton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rich Uk
    Just a bit of an odd one i have noticed. I have a bit of side to side play on the handbrake lever when the handbrake is not engaged (i.e. when traveling) Not a lot, 3 to 4 mm of play.

Not noticed it before. Someone anyone else has found, or is this common, and something i just need to tighten up?

2. Rorton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rich Uk
    Hi. Someones moved this to 7th Generation forum and it's for my 8th Generation accord?!

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Moved it for you @Rorton

I've not heard of that issue before Rich. Maybe an 8th Generation owner can shed some light.

4. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I collected my new car I noticed exactly this same hand brake movement which wasn't there on my 7th generation car. I queried this with the dealer and they told me all 8th generation cars are the same. I have learned to live with this "slackness" but it does not seem correct in a premium car.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I hadn't really noticed, but now I've checked, mine is exactly the same.

Never had this in any previous cars. Weird.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    4mm is still acceptable chaps They only way to remove any play to replace the lever assembly but you will not gain a lot.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes same here.Fair bit of play on mine
    I have noticed this before but never thought much of it.

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I should add, that it doesn't feel loose at all - it does move slightly side to side, but it is quite a tight movement - if that makes any sense! :crazyeyes:

10. Rorton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rich Uk
    Thanks all. Looks like a common thing and not a fault which is what I was worried about. Problem is, once you know it's there you keep playing with it (insert rude comment here, lol)

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can't say I've noticed my 8th gens doing this but I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is some play not a massive amount I don't think its a fault really as long as it works.

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Next to no play on mine 1 - 2 mm at most which will translate to significantly less at the actual handbrake lever pivot.

Some play is needed. If there was no play it would be difficult to apply and release the handbrake with one hand.

14. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A couple of mm play in mine now that you mention it, but the wife@s Astra J has no play at all and works fine (so far being GM).

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    More chances for the GM lever to sheer off\jam, why do you have play in your clutch pedal , why do you have play in your throttle cable , why have play in all curial items which move?

LOL remove all the free play on the above let see how long they last not to mention your clutch will be worn and your throttle will jam on unexpectedly leaving you a condition of uncontrollable acceleration.. still believe you don't need play?
    Come on people think!

16. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Assuming post 15 was aimed at me, I merely mentioned the Astra and did not say that there should not be any free play in the Accord. I also said that the Astra, although a GM model was so far still working. Was that not too simple to understand? As for clutch pedal and throttle pedal, no relevance really.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    cool man keep the faith.