Daily Driver SIL Jazz

2nd Generation (2001-2008) vehicle added by agadza, Monday 5th Sep, 2016

1. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Agadza London
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Do you have a code reader? If yes you can have a quick scan to see what codes are triggered causing the EML light. I have been driving a 2003 Jazz for a while but don't know of a common EML issue.

3. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No code reader yet - read I could get one off ebay but it would be good to know which one works best with Hondas. What make can you recommend?

Re the EML issue, there are a number of posts that mention the EML lights come on in Hondas with no corresponding/temporary problems in performance. Quite a few on this forum mention them going away after resetting ECU and doing what is called an "idle learn procedure". I havent found any clear directions yet, but I think disconnecting the battery for some 10 mins is said to do the trick.

On this car, there are no performance issues. It made circa 110 mph yesterday evening with no problems, RPMs going past 3000 as well. I have the hunch an ECU reset might be all she needs.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

That is usually done when you clean the electronic throttle body. You can start off by simply disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 5 minutes which will reset the EML light. Then drive around and see if it comes back. If it does, then a code reader will come in handy.

Which code reader to get? Depends on what phone you are using? If Android you can buy Mini OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Scanner Android Torque Auto Scan Tool OBD-II | eBay and download 'Torque' app. The free version will be plenty for your use. Simply pair the phone and it will show the codes.

If you are using an iPhone you will have to get a WiFi based one ELM327 OBD2 KW903 Car Fault Code Reader Diagnostic Scanner for PC iPhone Android | eBay

agadza likes this.
  5. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks, Legend-ary. Will give this a try and feedback.
    I use an I-phone so it will be the second option.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Good luck. It's good to have one anyways. I switched to iPhone not too long ago so my Bluetooth adapter has become useless so I now have to use a wired scanner which I had from before.

Keep us posted.

7. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cars have come a long way, havent they? I recall the days when the way to impress your friends was to explain what the "choke" was!

legend-ary likes this.
  8. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@legend-ary : I have the code reader, but cannot quite find where to plug it in. I thought I would find it near or around the under-dash fusebox, but there doesnt seem to be a socket that fits the reader. Any pointers?

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Just above the clutch pedal where your knee rests. (Ignore the missing centre console)
    image.

10. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks Legend-ary.
    I have managed to find it. An interesting development, though. The OBD reader would not pair with my iphone - said it was not supported. I suspect I must have got the wrong one.
    I did manage to pair it with my SIL's Samsung. I found the following reading: IMG_3788[1].JPG .
    Wondering what it means, but it does look connected to the EGR system. The previous owners had the EGR changed, so don't know if it is the EGR itself or something connected to it. Any ideas, anyone?

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Maybe they drove with EGR disconnected or this has been there for long... which might have triggered a pending code.

Clear all the codes and see if it comes back. If it does then that's where you start.

agadza likes this.
  12. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it is the case that this has been there for long after whatever it was that triggered it. The EGR was replaced in August 2013, but the light remained. The previous owners say they simply drove the car with the light on and had no further problems. I found out MPG is in the 31.5 range for the car.
    I will need to get an iphone compatible code reader and then upgrade to premium to try to clear the code. Will let you know who I get on.
    Thanks

13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

You don't need premium to clear code. Premium only saves your list of sensors for logging and stuff. Torque lite is plenty for clearing codes and live data.

you order the wifi version of code reader didn't you? Send the seller a message they might be able to help you with pairing.

Where abouts in London are you?

14. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I downloaded the app called "EOBD Facile".
    Iti s the wifi version. Will email the seller as you suggest.
    I am in Bromley, SE London.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Ah yes it's an iPhone so no Torque.
    Ps I'm not too far! (Charlton) and I have a cabled scanner as well as android phone/Bluetooth OBD2 so you are more than welcome. :Smile:

16. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

WOW, brilliant news! Will you be available tomorrow?

17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

18. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the problem with the device I have is that it is a bluetooth one. It paired with my SIL's phone through bluetooth and would not pair with mine. It also would not connect over the Wifi attempts on my i-phone. Looks like I will have to return it.

If you can let me know which time will suit you and pm me your address will happily skip work and bring the car over.

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

PM sent.

totogbemi and SpeedyGee like this.
  20. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Met up with Legend-ary on Friday and ended learning things about the Honda Jazz I would not have learnt anywhere else!! It does bring to mind what ingenuity Honda put into the design of the Jazz. The features on the 2003 model are still impressive today - that car was ahead of its time!

@legend-ary - it was great meeting up. Very many thanks for your help and pointers!! SIL very happy with her car - and most importantly with the magic seat function. Means she can get both buggy and child seat into the car without opening the boot! Many thanks again!!!