Exhaust System Single exhaust conversion

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by allan_tifa, Saturday 29th Mar, 2014.

1. allan_tifa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Allan Northern ireland
    What's your view guys on doin away with the dual exhaust on the CL9 and getting a single exit? I'm swaying towards to idea still in two minds, also heard I may benefit more with a single

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There's been a few people who have done this in the past, and you can grab the lip cutout cover from a UK CL7. Personally I can't see the benefit as our engines really don't need back-pressure and perform best flowing as freely as possible.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are huge benefits of a single straight through exhaust when finely tuned its better than dual exhaust set up , let be honest a dual set up on 2.4 is more restrictive than a single set up it just for show the dual pipes.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well the difference is a 2.5" dual-exhaust will be much quieter than a massive 3.5" single exhaust, we're only taking about a couple of HP difference too., well unless you seriously build up the engine.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Put aside the ID of the pipes even a stock set up on the CL7 is more efficient than a dual set up on CL9 just by the route its taking there is no branch off like the dual set up.

6. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    KC, you want to be running 2.5" pipe with mandrel bends all the way through from the manifold.

To be honest, you will see more of a difference and better gains from a good manifold than you will from the rest of the system.

Stay away from the usual crooks local to us that are recommended - you are more than welcome to come and inspect mine to see why.

Maz @ Hond-R has seen some great results on his old CL from various exhausts and manifolds and a 2.5 mandrel bent system was the best setup for them.

Where it splits at the rear you drop to 2" going to each rear box.

The likes of Momentum Motorsport in Lisburn will make you a proper system, the rest are just powerflow style crooks

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Pure guff

It takes the same route but level with the axle it splits into two where it would usually turn through the guts of 90 degrees anyway.

If done properly in an aftermarket system this split will be made in the same fashion as a merge collector so there is absolutely no restriction to flow. Simple fact is that 2 x 1.75" pipes as standard will flow more than 1x 2" pipe so for that I cannot see where you pulled that random factually incorrect piece of guff from CJ.

8. allan_tifa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Allan Northern ireland
    All taking on board, thanks for the input, where would I get the lip cut out? Anyone a link? And to be honest I am looking some grunt cause really is too quite lol

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure on the lip.

You're welcome to see mine to see what sound is like and the workmanship involved

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

This completely, you can free up 10-15hp from the exhaust header alone, that's no joke

Maz's old car now owned by Ryan is running a 3" dual, he found the 2.5" too restrictive. But then he's one to want to squeeze every single possible HP out of the car.

You're right Pete, but I believe he's referring to the stock set-up on the K20A6 CL7 being more efficient than the K24A3 CL9 for each particular engine which is correct. The K20A6 on duals isn't worth it :Icecream:

You'll get a lot of grunt out of a proper dual set-up too don't forget. If your colour is Arctic Blue Pearl I believe the part number is: 71503-S6A-900ZV. I'd double check with a dealer before ordering as it's hard to make out on the diagrams. List price is less than a tenner.

allan_tifa likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was told that by flowmasters US when I was looking for a exhaust. have a read of this http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/techguide/

12. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Link doesn't work.

Having used many hundreds of differing exhaust types in various applications including motorsport and using basic common sense would show that 2 pipes will flow more than 1

The likes of Ryan using a 3" pipe on Maz's old CL I simply do not get. He may have found a couple of extra ponies at the thick end of the rev counter but will have probably sacrificed torque throughout the rest of the rev range. Personally, I do not wish for power without the torque to use it, so find a massive pipe quite pointless.

2.5" with the right boxes will provide the right amount of backpressure - any bigger and you loose that, turbo cars do not need the back pressure, but NA certainly does.

Also if you have the car flowing so well on the exhaust, you can be damn sure you then need to do intake and head work to match. Even prior to that work though you will have to sort out fuelling.

With the K Series we found the Spoon manifold mated to the J's 60RR was by far the best for overall power and torque increase. We did try the J's manifold but it kept splitting and cracking and wasn;t worth any potential gains.

13. allan_tifa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Allan Northern ireland
    Much did yours cost Pete? I've a brand new hks Ti muffler here which I was planning on getting a custom decat and centre made the guy who fitted my seats will do it for me,

14. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Mine was £480

Should have paid a little more for an off-the-shelf option or for Momentum to make it up instead.

15. allan_tifa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Allan Northern ireland
    That's the prices I was getting from like street racer etc so either I'm goin to go down the route with the hks it exhaust and single exit or else bring a system back from Hong Kong cause I'm goin soon so will be getting some tasty mods too