Feedback/Help Site Concerns using iMac

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by hedleyf, Sunday 21st Sep, 2014.

1. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is any one experiencing problems using I mac , the scroll is really slow to action , ie clicking onto a thread, or scrolling up or down is a delayed action where by I have to wait for the site to catch up, this results in the pages jumping to reach their final stop.
    this is the only site I have trouble with. any clues?.
    Thanks.
    by the way it works fine on my Ipad.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry, I'm a PC user. There are Apple users on here, so I'm sure someone can help.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    What browser are you using Hedley? I can try and recreate the results.

On the face of it, sounds like a performance issues with the iMac, scrolling/rendering is all down to the machine. Nevertheless, I'll try and replicate it and see if it's something I can fix.

4. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Mac seems to be fine, my son who is a developer said the CPU is almost at freezing point when it tries to load ,value of up to 98 whatever, then as the it loads it drops down,
    tried the same test on the toyota site and no problems ,loading just as much and CPU value of only about 10, so fast almost instant,can,t catch it out, as said only this site I got problem with,even ebays ok.
    my son is going to take a closer look when he has more time.
    may be interesting to see what the CPU is running at your end as you move around to compare.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I have no issues on my Mac, but it is brand new...no issues with iPad either.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You need to try a different browser as it's most likely the Javascript engine hanging on a script, HTML DOM loading and CSS rendering are unlikely to be causing the load - however some older browsers do struggle with more complex CSS3 which we do utilise in a few places. If you're using Safari, try Chrome and Firefox, or visa versa.

My daily is a top-end Core-i7 with all the bells and whistles, but I regularly use/test the site with all kinds of machines, including things like an Atom netbook which I'm sure could be bested by a high-end Casio calculator :Laughing:

It'll most likely be down to whatever browser you're using hanging on processing a script, or struggling with hardware acceleration for CSS3 rendering.

Don't let @Ichiban read that :Laughing:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Did this ever resolve itself @hedleyf?

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No just tending to use the Ipad for now, my son thought that it was possibly the amount loading and from different sources ie the adverts that might be pulling on my memory limit ,he checked this out at 1 gig RAM and suggested this being on the low side,although the iMac is not old 08 it's surprising how things progress but it is the only site I have trouble with, not tried it since the adverts have gone yet. Should look in to upgrading the memory.
    Thanks.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

1GB of RAM is extremely low, I often use 1-3GB of RAM just between web browsers. That said, without comparing your RAM usage on HK to other sites it's hard to say for sure that's the issue. I would say though that '08 is pretty old in computing terms, it'll probably be an old Core 2 Duo processor in there. If you get the chance, let me know how it performs with a different web browser :Smile: