Off-Topic Sky Q

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 25th Sep, 2016.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just wondered if anybody had taken the plunge and actually has Sky Q yet.

Would like to hear feedback on whether it is worth the expense...as I'm tempted now that I've got a 4K television!

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm an existing customer, so the deal isn't any good for me. :depressed:

I'm really after somebody who already has it and can tell me what it's like.

chris2982 likes this.
  4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@FirstHonda I think you can take the deal out and just sign up in your wife's name. I've done that in the past. The only bad thing I've heard is the cost of sky. The box is great and apparently they've done a lot of updates to get rid of any bugs.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've had Sky HD for years, and it's very good if a little expensive.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Sky Q though, which is even more expensive! If it's worth it, then fine...

Sky have always told me that their offers are by address where the equipment is used as well as by name. And I'm not signing my ex-wife up for it and getting her a deal lol!

6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

was about to take the plunge as becoming a new customer
    was told that its prone to many glitches and can freeze a lot
    might be best to leave it for a while yet until sky can eradicate issues

7. RichCRX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Richard Milton keynes
    I've just down graded my package with Sky to just the HD package from the sports package. Even then I feel it's a rip off given how few HD channels are about. 4k channels? How many are there? At the moment,, IMHO it's a gimmik. Yes the demo videos you see in the shops are amazing, but it's purposely rendered in 4k at development. TV show's won't be. They are done for a broad range of resolutions. Stick to the standard 1080p HD for the time being IMHO.

exec likes this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I took the package with @chris2982 which includes the Q box. There have been a couple of niggles with it it has froze a couple of times and the connection with the router (which I will add is upstairs) is a little ropey. I have spoken to sky customer services who informed me that this is a new system which is developing all the time (a bit like Honda F1 I suppose). They asked me to be patient and in time things will get better.
    The internet speed is not what they stated and that's the fibre optic broadband although it does push out around 20-23meg download and at times goes up to 30+. Downside is because it's upstairs I only get around 2-6meg in the conservatory to run my now TV box so I'm thinking of giving it a go with some power line adapters.
    The TV system is really impressive and as long as you have a degree in technology to work the remote control then you'll enjoy every minute of it.
    No really the engineer who installed it told me you can't break it so just play with it and see what it can do,and he wasn't wrong everything is at your finger tips (only you have to remember if you are wanting to record something then you have to cancel the automatic series record or you end up with hours and hours of Emmerdale!!!!!!!! Yes @chris2982 i did forget even though you had said?.
    If you are coming to the end of your current contracts I would contact @chris2982 as he has some really good deals and well worth the money you will pay.i am actually saving £32 per month compared to Talk Talk and have more to watch.
    Even the wife is into it as there's loads of episodes of The Dog Whisperer.

legend-ary likes this.