Engine & Gearbox Slave or Master - clutch

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by obsy, Wednesday 2nd Jan, 2013.

1. obsy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All & Happy New Year,

does anyone have an idea of cost for Honda to replace either the slave or master cylinder, my car at present won't go into gear, the pedal has no real resistance? The clutch is new and only replaced 3 months ago, it's been into an independent garage for bleeding x 2, still no joy so I suspect one of the above? Do Honda do inspections/quotes before carrying out the work?

Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Obsy who fitted your clutch and was a original clutch kit fitted with a release bearing?

3. obsy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ichiban,
    it was a guy who looks after my Alfa GTV, he's very good with all cars, yes it was a genuine clutch from Cox Honda. The only strange thing I notice is that when you start the car in gear - clutch down (I do this at present as it's easy to engage when the engine isn't running) is that it moves forward slightly like you do if you go to start the car in gear no clutch, it doesn't happen every time. The only reason I'm leaning towards one of the cylinders is that when the engine is on you have to pump the pedal several times to get it in gear?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If your having to pump the pedal several times before being able to use the clutch, sounds like master cylinder issue.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are three things which can cause this Master cylinder ,slave cylinder or a bent clutch fork/damaged.

Was the release bearing changed?

6. obsy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not sure about the release bearing, would this have been included with the new clutch? if so I'm sure he would have changed it. Since the clutch change the gears were smooth as anything, better than before!

I forgot to mention that the garage mentioned that when they did the bleed the pedal seemed a lot better but quickly went back to it's current state? They also said that the fluid was very dirty even on the second bleed which was only 2 weeks apart and hardly driven?

Last edited: Thursday 3rd Jan, 2013
  7. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    You will get slave&master cylinder changed for £250 inc parts from any good indie this is a very easy fix on the 7th Generation you will notice complete difference in feel on clutch pedal after.

8. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Also obsy just noticed you had clutch done at a Honda dealer you will have yrs warranty on that work but it does sound like master & slave cylinder

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Confirm with your mechanic that the release bearing was changed, normally a clutch kit is used and the bearing comes with the kit.

Have the cylinders checked out Obsy. The slave cylinder is easy to get to but this is unlikely to be faulty, more likely to be the master cylinder.

Let us know how you get on.

Oh one more thought, the clutch fork pivots on like a ball, there is a spring clip that sits inside the fork that holds it onto the ball, ask your mechanic to check this spring is seated correctly. If it isnt the fork will not move correctly. This can be done by removing the rubber boot on the fork.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    For the sake of £65 I would get both master & slave changed at same time if this is the fault.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Provided a Clucth Kits has been purchased the release bearing is included in it , however if the pressure plate and clutch plate have been bough independently then you won't get the release bearing.

Small tip some unscrupulous dealers will sell clutch components at higher price individual (as they can) when they themselves have bough the clutch kit a reduced price directly from Honda. They pocket the difference and keep the release bearing when the customer should get it.

So who quids in and whose out of pocket?

For all 7th Generation Petrol Owners looking for a genuine clutch kit replacement quote this part number 22105-RBB-315 Always always insist on a clutch kit for your car.

The 7th Generation diesel owners the clutch kit part number is 22105-PGE-325 please note the I-CTDI kit DOES not come with a release bearing you have to buy it separately part number 22810-PPT-003

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How much do the Honda clutch kits suppose to cost (roughly) ?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Clutch kit for a petrol 7th Generation is £219.91 why buy aftermarket when it pressure plate, friction clutch plate and release bearing comes at that price.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Indeed.

Mines still going strong at 117K on original clutch. Will defo go with OEM kit as above if the time comes to replace it.

15. obsy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,
    just for those who asked - yes it was a genuine Honda clutch, I got it from Cox dealership online, very good customer service and have some great sale prices all the time.
    I had the car returned today now sporting a new master and slave cylinder (decided to fit both). The pedal is now good with no problem with engaging gears!
    One strange thing to point out was that they told me that the spot weld on one side of the pedal housing which bolts onto the bulk head had come apart making it difficult for the pedal to react with the system.
    They re-welded that side and the other just to be safe, he told me until they had done this the pedal still wasn't as good as it is now even after changing the parts?

Thanks for your help, just got to change the bonnet now!

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Result !

Thanks for reporting back :Thumbup: