Engine & Gearbox Slight hesitation around 2000 rpm

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Mike c, Saturday 28th Jun, 2014.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Hi guys,
    I have a 2010 2.0 ex VTEC and I have noticed that there is a very slight hesitation when driving around Islands at around 2k revs. Is this usual?
    Regards
    Mike c

2. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know it's not much help but mine is as smooth as a button mate.

3. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

How many miles on clock?
    Has this just happened?
    Servicing intervals?
    Choice/use of fuel ... Any changes lately?
    Does this always happen even if car is fully warmed up?

4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    The car has just over 20k on the clock, with full Honda service history. Last serviced January.
    As you can see by the mileage the car does not do much motorway work and the majority is on short runs. I do tend to notice the hesitation on this sort of run but occasionally even after a journey of around 20 miles.
    The car is 4.1/2 years old now and I wondered if this problem could be down to something like the EGR getting a little dirty? Other than this the car runs perfect with good acceleration and reasonable fuel economy for the sort of journeys it does (28/29 around town and up to 42 on a long run). I use the Shell best unleaded in the car at all times. No recent changes since the service in January.
    Regards
    Mike c

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yep, EGR would be the first item check.

6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was just thinking, at what points does the VTEC change . I was under the impression that there are two changes, a lower range which is for economy, normal and then full power at around 4ooo RPM- or am I dreaming?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good thinking. This maybe down to a slightly sticky VTEC or VTC solenoid, it would be worth taking taking these solenoids off for a good clean.

See this thread by CJ Engine & Gearbox - 7th Generation Petrol K20 with a jammed VTC oil control solenoid valve | Page 2

He cleaned the VTC solenoid in that thread. I don't think there is a VTEC solenoid clean thread from memory, I could be wrong but do a search for it anyway, the process will be the same as cleaning the VTC ie remove it and clean with petrol as CJ cleaned the VTC.

There is a VTC mesh filer at the front of the engine but that is a a little hard to get to.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mike before you spend money stripping etc , take your car on the motorway and giving some beans .. if an auto put in low ratio and give it some heat. 20k there is no way you should see this.

9. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sounds like more fun than getting my hands dirty, I must try to get on to a motorway soon!!:Devil:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good pasting is always welcomed by Honda engines. They do wonders for it :PullFaces:

11. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have done two trips into sunny wales (Barmouth) over the last month and given the car a good blast up those mountain roads and the engine now seems to be more lively, free running and smoother. I noticed that on the second visit it climbed the hills easier too. Maybe I gave it more welly in the lower gears this time!!

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sounds like you've found the answer Mike.
    At one of the places I've worked at, there were 4 vans and 4 drivers. All the vans were bought at about the same time. After a few months, three were sluggish, one was fine.
    Three drivers drove carefully/cautiously. One revved his van into the red regularly and was always back early. He wasn't one for hanging about.
    Whilst I don't drive like no. 4, I do give the engines in my cars a regular 'work-out'.