Engine & Gearbox Slight hesitation

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Steve8274, Saturday 24th Sep, 2016.

1. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    hi all
    After a bit of advice if you don't mind. Have a 2007 2.2 cdti with 100k miles with full service history. Recently I have noticed a bit of hesitation whilst driving. It can happen when accelerating or when just driving along at a constant speed. It's a bit like a splutter. No other problems.
    Any ideas what it could be?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well it could be the fuel filter... Has it gone the proper Honda type (Denso, I believe on yours) and when was it fitted?

I've also been having this exact same symptom, which I eventually found to be the air admittance filter on the IMRC Frequency Solenoid Valve. But I believe yours has the later, upgraded FSV.

Assuming you have an obd2 code reader, have a look for pending DTCs.

3. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fuel filter was changed in march. Don't think it was an original one. It's only just started to happen. I don't have an obd reader unfortunately

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Best to fit a proper fuel filter. Another confirmation of this would be the glowplug indicator sometimes coming on after the engine is running.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not as yet. Thinking of changing fuel filter again just in case. I don't have flashing glow plug warning

7. Paul1000 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Neston
    Hi, my 2009 does it now and again, only on half throttle, used shell v power for a year and a half which made it a little better but it's still there, garage plugged it in on the last service but nothing came up.

Steve8274 likes this.
  8. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    I've the same issue with my 2007 2.0 petrol Accord, I've changed a lot and cleaned a lot but issue still remains, I'm convinced is an air/fuel mixture issue that's being caused by a sensor, I only ever use Honda OEM parts, I've done all I can with it, it's going into a Honda main dealer in a few weeks for a diagnostic when I get back from the US. Not expecting any quick fix as I've put it on an OBDII scanner and no errors showing up (it's a cheap OBDII cable and software so maybe dealers OEM scanner might show more) only question that I'll have for the dealer is around the ECT sensor, with the KOEO I get a reading of -40 degrees, which sounds suspect but once engines starts temperature readings in the OBDII goes to erratic plus values, I've tried unplugging the two ECT sensors but when I do I was expecting the engine coolant temperature (ECT) to constantly display -40 degrees but it doesn't, it still displays an erratic temperature, I've tested the sensor and connector as per some instructions from a manual and some instructions from the internet but everything checks out....so I completely baffled. I'll keep you updated in a few weeks once the car goes in for a diagnostic.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you were having an air/fuel issue (unlike the previous diesel examples) then this would be picked up by the primary lambda sensor and a relevant DTC (P0171?) raised. The Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) is more than just a OBD2 reader, it is able to interact with the various engine systems to set 'targets' and then monitor the various systems as they attempt to meet these targets.

10. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    Ok, good to know, so you reckon I don't have an air/fuel mixture issue as I don't have any DTCs. As for the HDS, let's hope it can find something, I hope it's not only as good as the mechanic using it.....don't want to be paying a dealer to tell me that they couldn't find anything wrong and suggesting to change multiple expensive parts to find the issue.

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Unfortunately HDS cannot usually pinpoint the faulty part (unless it is a sensor giving wildly out-of-range readings, which would probably have triggered a DTC anyway) it can only indicate the point at which a system is failing. So you are still at the mercy of the technician's interpretation of the problem.

Is your OBD2 reader capable of reading 'pending' codes? These can be good indicators of a problem that has yet to be seen by the ECU as serious enough to bring on the MIL/CEL... my D900 will read these and has been useful in resolving recent problems on both my diesel Honda (P2004) and my petrol Toyota (P0171 /P0174) when running problems were apparent but there were no dashboard indications.

I'm not sure if your engine uses a MAF sensor or a MAP sensor to determine fuelling requirements, but have you tried cleaning whichever it is you have? Similarly, if yours has one (?) then a throttle position sensor (TPS/APPS) problem can also cause the symptoms you mention.

12. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    I have a map, cleaned it with electrical parts cleaner, no change, had a look at the TPS, no cleaning there as far as I can see, I can see some TPS readings in the ODBII software had a look for the values on the net and it seems to be ok, but I don't really know, MAP and TPS sensors are really expensive and there's a no return policy on electrical parts. I can see the pending DTCs option in the software but there's nothing showing there.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you have a TPS then I've found the best way to test these is to use the cruise control instead of the accelerator to see if the problem is still present. If not, then it's the TPS that's faulty.

Cleaning the MAP sensor doesn't always fix it. Assuming your obd2 reader gives real-time data, then is it reading around 100 KPa with the engine stopped? Does the reading vary greatly with the engine running? Can you also see varying real-time data for the primary lambda sensor?

The temperature readings are odd, but I suspect this could be an Obd2 incompatibility... Mine won't read fuel rail pressure on my diesel and just gives daft results.

14. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    101 kPa with the engine off, not sure what it is with the engine on, will test when I get home.
    IMG_2619.JPG

15. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    Ok, some good news, before I have to bring the car to the dealer I wanted to do some last minute checks just to make sure I hadn't miss anything, anyway I had a 500km journey to do last week and decided to hook up the laptop to the car, in the ODBII software I setup some graphs to read map sensor, o2 sensor info etc and throttle position (both relative and absolute) so what I noticed is that every time I experienced hesitation in the car there was a drop in % in the graphs related to throttle position. When I got a chance I pulled over and let the engine idle for a bit, I noticed that one sensor was at about 13% and the other was about 2%, I revved the engine slightly and noticed that the percentages dip slightly before going up. When I got home I checked the operation of the TPS, and it all checked out, .5 volts at close and 4.5 at fully open but I decided to strip the TPS apart anyway, I fiddled around with it and put it back and recalibrated it, I also adjusted the throttle cable slightly. To my surprise the issue is gone, car drives like new, this issue must have been happening for a while and only got worse lately as the car has never felt so good to drive, the hesitation is completely gone and the acceleration is ultra smooth. Just hoping that it stays like this, if not I might have to change the TPS. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

16. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mines in for a service tomorrow so hopefully that will sort mine. If not I will look into the TPS. Was it easy to remove and what did you do to it?
    How did you adjust accelerator cable?
    Thanks

17. Davebabs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

David Ireland
    You'll have to remove the whole block which is quite easy, getting the TPS or APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) as Honda call it was a bit of a pain, Honda used those break of nut things so I had to hacksaw a line through the nut to be able to use a screw driver to lossen the bolts. The accelerator cable is very simple to adjust, the cable comes from the pedal to this housing block, just loosen the nut to adjust the cable.

Steve8274 likes this.
  18. b-jay05 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Suffolk
    We sell lots of these CR-V's at my work and as a rule we now change every fuel filter with an oe quality one after having several come back with hesitation / spluttering faults. Cheap filters often cause problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyGee likes this.