Suspension, Steering and Brakes Slight Knock/Clonk When Braking in Town

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by rikernumber1, Tuesday 8th Jul, 2014.

1. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Hi All,

Both my wife and I have noticed a slight clock when braking around town. Vehicle is a 2008 2.0 EX auto, mileage 65K. It's nothing major - I thought at first it was something moving around in the spare wheel well - I'd put loads of 'essential' spare junk in there - including the detachable towball - well wrapped up to avoid knocking around, but after re-organising all that stuff, the knocking/clonk is still there - a single knock/clonk, when you brake, and not all the time. When I had the window open, it sounded like it was drivetrain related - middle of the car, towards the back. I pushed the calipers through the alloys with my fingers, and they do not appear to be loose, and like I say, it sounds like it's in the middle of the car, towards the back.

It's had a full Honda service history, bar the last one (which the supplying dealer carried out). I did wonder whether it needed a rear diff flush, but it's not whining. My questions are:

1. Any ideas - could it do with a rear diff flush anyway? It's not at 75K miles yet.
    2. For the diff flush - - whenever it gets done - does it take anything special, oil wise or will a good branded EP80 be OK? I'm guessing a litre should be sufficient?

It's going back to the dealer to have the aircon looked at on Monday - I'm going to ask them about this as well, but they seem like a good garage, so I want to arm them with as much information as possible, rather than just throw it at them and say 'fix it'.

cheers,

Phillip

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Phil can't say if the diff needs a flush it could be suspension related or something really easy, Did the dealer look at this issue when you took it down?

You can't get info on this until you look at it TBH.

3. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    It's with the dealer today - getting the aircon sorted. To be honest, I've not heard it the last few times I've driven it and I forgot to mention it when I dropped it off this morning. I'm wondering if it only happens when it's hot. I'll need to have a few more facts before I get the dealer to look at it - otherwise it's one of those annoying intermittent faults that can't be traced, and I'll look like a numpty who's obsessed with his new pride and joy being perfect :Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ring them tomorrow first thing and get them to investigate it. As for being obsessive I am the same... it needs to be right or there is no point doing it. I don’t do half a job :Niceone: So welcome to the mad house of being pedantic.

5. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

for the diff oil it is recommended to us the Honda oil ONLY. other oils are known to cause failure to diff.
    Its called DPS-F ... for a flush you require 3l and it comes in 1l bottles.

just bought a set of 3 for my flush this weekend ... dealer charged me 36 all in. Getting an independent mech to do it for me as car is not due for official service till 25k and car is about to turn 20k. I'm flushing my system early due to write up's here and other sources over the net. Our CR-V will spend majority of life on roads not much off roading. so keeping everything right to keeep this car tip top for long term ownership

Do not use other oil!

6. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Thanks for the advice. When the term 'flush' is used, are we talking simply 'warm-up, drain and refill' - like an oil change? I'm assuming the diff won't take 3L of oil, so I'm guessing it's the following:

• warm-up
    • drain
    • refill with 1.5L
    • warm-up
    • drain
    • refill with remaining 1.5L
    Phillip

7. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes I would presume that would be the process. The extra litre or so is to run through and ensure clean oil in there.

8. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Spoke to the garage today; they think it's a pad wobbling in the caliper - which is feasible, but I'm not convinced. Annoying thing is that it's stopped now! I'll probably change the diff oil anyway.

Aircon is now working - they had to put a new compressor in it.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good news about the aircon, especially in this weather. :Grin:

10. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Common problem re the air con compressor on CR-V from what I have read.

At least you got sorted with no big bills.

11. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    So I went to Honda dealer today to pick up some diff fluid - they were very helpful with advice. I learned that a diff fluid change is not a DIY job, unless you have access to a ramp! Dealer quoted me £300 to do it - mainly due to the time it takes. I bought the fluid anyway.

There's no knock at the moment - but I have this theory it only happens when it's hot. I'll be monitoring carefully and it will be back to the supplying dealer when I've confirmed the circumstances it happens under.

12. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There is a posting about doing it without a ramp. 300 quid to do that job is insane. Where do they get off charging that?!:Epic Fail:

There is 2 nuts ... One for fill and one for drain. Simply drain and refill with a bit of tubing and then put nut back on go for test drive and that's it.

You done the right thing to walk off with the diff fluid

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Btw, it took my mechanic about 30m to do the job and yes he has a lift. Never worked on a CR-V before but has seen enough 4x4s, tractors and heavy machinery to do the diff on the CR-V.

14. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    What the Honda mechanic said was that you needed to get all four wheels off the ground, so you could get the four wheel drive to engage; under normal driving, 4 wheel drive doesn't engage much. They indicated it was a 2 hour job, because it also needed to 'settle' in between the flushing/draining. I can partially understand that logic, but the diff fluid has to be getting warm just through the rotation of the drive shaft from the rear wheels.

I'll search for that posting.

15. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
  16. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mmmmm ... might try and arrange to get the car put on the lift again and engage the system then. this was not done. will arrange over weekend hopefully
    2 hrs ... aye right
    sounds like a way to get the job card boosted up so they can hit with the bill

IMO do yourself a favour and find a local independent garage to do the flush for you; no way would i pay 300 odd for that job ... it was very straightforward to do even with basic skills and tools

thanks for the info

17. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    What I'm going to do is confirm the circumstances that the knock happens - and then take it back to the dealer and propose the diff flush as a fix. Wife is taking it out today, on a 50 mile motorway run - I'm hoping she'll come back and say she gets the knock. It would make sense as the fluid would thin as it gets hotter.

I haven't had a car fixed at a main stealer for years. On the Picasso, I was quoted nearly £300 for front discs and pads. I did that myself - 45 mins each side and £80 for the parts....

18. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Update: supplying garage investigated the knock - they couldn't find anything so went with my suggestion of flushing/changing the diff fluid as per supplied instructions, using genuine Honda Dual Pump Fluid. It didn't knock on the way home yesterday, but it didn't get warm - I noticed it generally did it when it got hot. We have 1-2K miles to do in the next 4 weeks, so if it comes back we'll know that hasn't cured it.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
  20. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Well - we've done around 700 miles in the last 4 days - which includes a return trip to Manchester from Kent - and I haven't heard it at all, so I'm thinking/hoping the diff flush has sorted it.

Still very pleased with the car overall.

SpeedyGee likes this.