Engine & Gearbox Slight whine ?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by pjwy, Sunday 24th Jan, 2016.

1. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Yorkshire
    Wife says she can hear a very slight whine from our 'new' 2009 CR-V 2.2 cdti while driving...I struggle to hear it myself but... as wife keeps telling me...I 'need a hearing aid'.
    Looking this up on t'internet seems that this seems to be fairly normal with the diesels.
    Can anyone comment please?

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    sorry , not able to help.... only whining in my car generally comes from the missus.

stuscrv likes this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My turbo has always whined a little, but far more noticeable with a cold engine, under load, around 1500 - 2000 RPM. This is fairly common and does not indicate a problem (mines been doing this for the last 8 years / 85k miles).

Additionally, I-CTDI engines that have had their timing chains replaced often develop a slight whine that is more noticeable on the overrun around 2000 RPM. Mine also does this, but this only began just over a year ago when the chains were replaced.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Mine also made a slight whine and I'm sure it's normal. If you hear a fluttering when you release the power then you have a problem and it could require a turbo recondition.

5. pjwy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Yorkshire
    Ha..yes I get that whine too ...but it's a permanent one!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Apparently it was most noticeable when we were reversing out of car port after being parked overnight so that perhaps fits in with what Zebster says.
    No 'fluttering' though.