Engine & Gearbox Slight wobble/vibration in 2nd gear

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Fatbaldnhairy, Saturday 10th Sep, 2016.

1. Fatbaldnhairy New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom P Riley Grimsby
    Hi I'm a new member and I've just bought my first Honda, a 2005 diesel CR-V. Prior to buying it the dealer put new drive shafts on the front and I can see it has had some other new bits. When in 2nd gear especially at low speeds I can feel a vibration through the front of the car and it looks like it's shaking from side to side, I've read on the CR-V forum that this is usually a sign it needs prop shafts but these have been done. Also the clutch is right at the bottom for the biteing point so it probably needs a new clutch although it has never slipped. Any ideas, thanks.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  3. Fatbaldnhairy New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom P Riley Grimsby
    Only seems to be 2nd gear, mileage 117000 ish

4. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    Do you feel the vibration through the steering wheel or is it through the whole car, if it is from the steering wheel I would check the front wheels for balance and straightness, if it is trough the whole car it is probably in the drive train. You will probably find when they mention propshafts that they mean the one between the transfer box and rear diff, the universal joints can seize and cause that type of thing. You can remove it and drive the car to see if it goes away and check the joints move smoothly while it is off. Honda will say you need a complete new propshaft but I got some replacement joints from the US and fitted them on my first gen and they do them for the second gen as well.
    Having said this if you bought it from a dealer I would take it back and get them to fix it.

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Fatbaldnhairy can you give an update on this problem because I'm having the same problem with my recently aquired CR-V. I was told by the dealer that it was because the new rear tyres that the previous owner had fitted were van tyres and that was causing the problem.
    I took the car to a tyre fitted friend who said they were talking *****s.He suggested balancing them all and running it to see if it went but it's still there when accelerating around 45mph it's not through the steering wheel but in the whole car. It doesn't go away only if I let the accelerator up.
    The car is having a full new set of tyres fitted on Monday and is going into the dealership on Wednesday to investigate further my gut instinct is the main driveshaft from front to rear but would like to know what has been found on yours.if @Members could help I would appreciate it so I've got something to point the Vauxhall mechanics at.

copytron likes this.
  6. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    I have this same issue and have for some time and am yet to find the cause even tho have replaced much including driveshafts and clutch and had tracking and balancing many times - next on the list is both hubs and bearings.

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have not experienced the same issue as both of you, but had similar instances where different factors have played a part. One time I had a failed CV joint on a driveshaft on my Astra which caused shaking to the entire car, but it didn't matter what gear I was in at the time. The other was with my Accord after getting two new front tyres. They where not balanced properly the first time and would cause vibration at around 75mph

However I don't think either of those would be related to vibration at about 45. I would definatly check that that the driveshafts and CV joints don't have any play in them (front) and that the centre shaft is not worn out either. I remember something similar happening with the Land Rover Freelander, when the centre prop shaft would cause issues, but don't think that cause vibrations.

One thing that comes to mind after watching a video of Eric the car guy's on youtube. Engine or gearbox mounts. Are these in good condition, as a worn out engine mount could cause excessive vibration and or weird noises.

8. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

My entire driveshafts and CV's were replaced and is definitely balanced so must be something else causing mine.

9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    There's a post on here somewhere where a guy had a vibration. Replaced everything with non genuine Honda and the fault continued..
    Took it to Honda who replaced the drive shafts with genuine Honda and it fixed it.
    It was expensive but it resolved it.

10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    This is a stupid question. Are all tires of the same size??? I would get all wheels checked if properly balanced, then balance the steering wheel if straight. check the prop shafts, then the rotating engine/drive shaft. Hope this helps.

Just to add on this, It is recommended that tire tread pattern is the same on all 4 tires.

Last edited: Saturday 24th Sep, 2016
  11. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Jeez really :no: I had the Insaneshafts installed and come well recommended hope this isn't the case :Sobbing:

12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Most likely the driveshafts/CV joints. Difficult to say without experiencing the fault.

Harvey and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  13. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I need to bring mine up to you again at some point @Beefy and get your expert opinion before I end up replacing every component on the car trying to find the cause.

Harvey likes this.
  14. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I had very serious wobble and it was almost completely fixed by replacing both driveshafts. Although that was noticeable in most gears.

I also had a similar issue caused by old rear tires, the tread was different and they had gone hard with age. A full new set of tires could be a good place to start.

I do still however have a very subtle wobble, only in high power in second gear at low revs, just like you. I wonder if it is a quirk of the 2.2 i ctdi.

K24 CL9 GUY and PanayiotisPal like this.
  15. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

My story is exactly the same as yours in my K24 @nauest. Had a severe wheel wobble and had been cured after replacing the driveshafts bar a very slight wobble but is getting more noticeable again and like all above is mainly noticed when put your foot down in second at low revs? Lots of people having the same issue now amongst the people that go on Facebook HK so seems to be a common issue now with no known fix :-(

16. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Yuh sounds spot on. Especially noticable when climbing a steep incline or towing a trailer. Only second gear and more noticeable in the lower Rpms. Mine in unchanged, not got worse over last 10 k.

17. copytron Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland copytron Dublin
    Hi all,

I've been having this problem with my Diesel FR-V, tried new tyres all round, numerous balancing and wheel alignment. I'm not feeling vibration in body of car but only steering which is fine up till 110kph and begins at 120kph, exact motorway speed the bollox. I haven't commited to new CV joints/shafts as I'm broke at the moment and they're crazy expensive (for me). I'm due new tyres soon so will try a different brand but have already tried rotating wheels, etc. I have found that sometimes its not so bad which still makes me think its tyres/balancing/wheels. A faulty CV, shaft would generally be consistantly bad.

All that being said I suspect tracking might be related too as I recently adjusted front and the vibration reduced so I'm getting a loan of alignment gear and doing it myself, I don't trust these muppets in tyre shops. I also bought steering rod ends which I'll change this weekend while tracking just for the craic like as they're not expensive.

I'll update here if anyone is intersted?
    If not... well... remember what Mr. Spock said; "Jaysus, vibration can be a pain in the arse". :nodding:

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hell yeah !!

Please post pics and details of what you do and find :Thumbup:

19. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Just as a guidance to vibration issues but for the CR-V 2012-2015 made in USA which might be helpful or at least be investigated:
    2015 Honda CR-V Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-046
    In Honda TSB 15-046, titled "Vibration While Driving and/or Stopped in Gear," the automaker separates different driving conditions it calls "modes" that can result in the bothersome vibrations.
    In mode 1, the vibrations occur while the CR-V is stopped in gear. In mode 2, the vibrations begin when the SUV takes off and the engine is at 1,000 to 2,000 RPM. And in mode 3, the CR-V is vibrating while traveling 40-50 mph with the engine at 1,800 to 2,200 RPM.
    Repairs to the SUV will depend on which mode a driver can feel the vibration.
    First, a technician will interview the CR-V owner to verify when the vibrations occur. Honda has told its dealers they must have an accurate answer from owners to know which repair to perform. In addition, one of the repairs can reduce fuel economy by less than 1 MPG and Honda wants a record of the owner giving their approval to make the repairs.
    • Mode 1 repairs will consist of installing new radiator lower cushions, a new transmission mount and new front head restraints.
    • Mode 2 repairs will see dealers install a tailgate damper kit and perform a software update to the powertrain control module (PCM).
    • For mode 3 repairs, dealers will update the PCM software only.
    Although the software update is optional, CR-V owners won't have much of a choice if they are tired of being vibrated out of their seats. Honda says it estimates a change of 0.70 MPG city/highway driving combined, but actual MPG results could vary, especially once the SUV is in real-world driving conditions.

Honda CR-V highway vibration - TSB No. 15-076 issued

Now you have to wonder when this is coming for the 2015 and onward as many of us experience the same issue.

CARS.COM — Vehicles affected by service bulletin:
    2012 Honda CR-V
    2013 Honda CR-V
    2014 Honda CR-V

All-wheel-drive models.

The problem: Drivers may note a vibration at highway speeds due to the driveshaft and rear dampening support system not adequately absorbing the vehicle's vibration.

See More Service Bulletins

Corrective action: Dealers will replace the rear differential mounts and driveshaft.

Warranty info: This service bulletin is being performed free of charge under the new-vehicle, extended or powertrain warranty, whichever applies.​

Last edited: Monday 26th Sep, 2016
  20. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Strange... Although most of our cars are quite dissimilar to that model. Interesting about the PCM reprogramming though. I wonder what changes?

PanayiotisPal likes this.