Engine & Gearbox slipping clutch?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by kiwiodp, Tuesday 20th Aug, 2013.

1. kiwiodp New Member Getting Started

Hi. I'm having a few problems with what I think is an intermittent slipping clutch.
    When I put my foot down in 4th, 5th and 6th gear occasionally the revs shoot up and the car doesn't speed up for few seconds.
    Every time I take it to my local Honda dealer the guys take it out for a test drive and can't find a fault. Sometimes it's fine for a few weeks and then it starts slipping again. The car is an 2009 diesel tourer. Only 50k miles done. My warranty runs out in 2 months. Anyone else having this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oooh .. this sounds familiar, an 09 plate I-DTEC lowish miles, intermittent slipping clutch at speed. I think we've had a thread on this a while back.

Try doing a search see if you can find it.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's the one I was thinking of Zoran :Thumbup:

5. leonmk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I have the exact same problem... And I do not believe it is an update that is required to sort it as my car is supposedly had all its updates... So a little further help would be great

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is a big difference between supposedly and it has all its updates ..when was the last time your car saw a Honda dealer?

why don't you get it checked out and rule that out for good they can check the clutch at the same time.

7. SweAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the exact same problem, Honda says its not a problem, but it hurts my Hondaheart.

2.2 diesel -09

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So your car is up to date with the latest ECU updates?

9. kiwiodp New Member Getting Started

My car is up to date. I took it to my local honda dealer last week and they still can't find a fault. Guess I'm just going to have to live with it I suppose.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Whats the mileage on the car?

11. SweAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda says they have updated.how can i be sure?

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't you just phone another dealer and give them your reg?

13. SweAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

maybe its that easy..<!

14. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 2009 tourer DTEC had an intermittent slipping clutch when I bought it - the clutch & the DMF were replaced at the expense of the sales company.
    DMF was pretty loose ("out of tolerance"), but the clutch wasn't badly worn or out of spec.
    This was at 58k miles (a few months back).
    Cost about £800 for the Clutch & about £1k for the DMF to be done at same time.

It could be Clutch (lining/adjustment/etc) or DMF - or both.
    There are ways of 'forcing' a clutch slip fault to show itself, but its pretty stressful on the car for obvious reasons.
    As you are forcing the car out of its comfort zone they aren't examples of normal use, but can show up a weakness where its on its way out.
    A simple one is loading up a car with 4 or 5 big bodies and pushing the engine hard up a steep hill (in a higher gear 3/4/5), which is comparable with a normal full loading.
    Otherwise its static use of the handbrake while in a high gear, but not for the faint hearted.

Despite lots of chat i've seen on the boards here to the contrary a clutch slip ISN'T similar to a software fault.
    If you definitely understand clutch slip and have experienced it before - you'll know it.
    If the revs go up, but the car speed stays the same - its clutch slip, there is no physical possible alternative (EDIT: on a manual box).
    Usually the classic symptom is you are heading up an incline, usually in a higher gear (3/4/5), then your acceleration stops (speed stays the same) for a moment - and at exactly the same time the revs of the engine increase and then fall back to where they were previously, as the acceleration continues where it left off as the clutch grips again.

Good luck.

Cheers, Mark.

- - - Updated - - -

You can't rely on that unfortunately, i used the online checker link and phoned a Honda dealer and both said my car was up to date.
    Then went to a dealer and when they hooked up the OBD and the ECU software was out of date.
    Cheers, Mark.

Last edited: Friday 13th Sep, 2013
  15. SweAccord Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No i can't call another dealer. that other dealer don't see if its done :Smile:

16. ir0n_jaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mars
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I now have this exact problem. 2008 Accord ES GT. Normally happens when heading up a long incline on the motorway changing from 5th to 6th. Also happened the other day when I was in 6th and re-activated cruise control to take me up to 70 from about 60-65mph. The revs shot up and cruise control dropped as it felt like it couldn't bite.

I bought from Honda just over a year ago and just renewed my Honda Happiness warranty. Did anyone clear up whether this issue is normally the clutch or some kind of recall update as alluded to in another thread?

It's only covered 58,000 miles and I'm starting to fall out of love with this car :Frown:.

Edit - my dealer Service Manager said I have to authorise them to take the gearbox out and investigate and only if they can prove there is a problem (e.g. a gearbox oil leak or something and not just worn out) will the warranty apply. If its just wear and tear I'm looking at, least £700. I know you can't guarantee how the previous owner drove the car, but from a buyer's perspective it's not great for a 2 owner Honda car, with one dealer service history from new. I bought the car expecting it to go more than a year trouble-free, and so far I've had three separate visits to get blown speakers replaced and now a potential £700+ (double that if the DMF needs replacing). All this exactly 12.5 months after buying it </rant>. I know 'that's cars' but I turned to Honda after a horrible experience with Mercedes which I won't go into here, hence my disappointment.

Last edited: Friday 3rd Jan, 2014
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is no warranty or any sort of protection from what abuse if any the previous owners dish out to your car. Service History also won't help that either its not something which remains static nor improves with time... but isn't this is universal with all cars anywhere in the world?.

Its a risk you take in buying a approved\second hand car you have the fall back of Honda warranty but that as you said rightly only going to look at mechanical failure.

18. leonmk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My car had begun to show the clutch slip almost all the Time and I was ringing honda with a view to getting it stripped and diagnosed as it was getting impossible to accelerate heavy at all... Over Christmas I have done a few long journeys and have been unable to make the slip happen... I am totally confused now, why has it stopped slipping and should I still give them the go ahead to strip the car and potentially cost money if it is not currently doing it!?!

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sounds like you may have suffered from some clutch glazing. This is where the surface of the clutch forms a soft slippery sheen, this can happen under high load/high temp conditions. The glaze can disappear after some normal use.

20. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sometimes I had a similar problem with salt from gritters and found that it cleared when I had a carwash :Unknown: