Feedback/Help Slow Text

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Monday 5th Jan, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've noticed for a while now that no matter how powerful the computer I'm on but when typing it can start to slow down and eventually the lag is so bad I can type a whole sentence before the letters appear on the screen! lol Usually when it's a fairly big reply.

I'm not sure but I think it starts to happen after it auto saves?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's an odd one Graham, I haven't experienced it whatsoever and use a number of devices to access the site on a daily basis. Is anyone else having this issue?

Any idea when it first started mate? Want to see if I can pinpoint it to after a particular bit of work done to the site.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'll start being more observant about it. Doesn't happen on the app though.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have experienced this on my laptop but that happens if the resources are getting hammered in the back ground. i.e. high CPU and memory utilisation.

Kill some apps clear your cache or upgrade to the fasting thing out there just for HK. :spiteful:

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I get this on Sony Xperia Z3. Let's be honest, the forum is very nice looking, with lots of features (like the autosave that just flashed on my screen), but that requires a little bit of power.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can't imagine that's the problem, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, i7-3770K, 16GB DDR3 PC3-10600, GTX760 with 2GB Ram and Sandisk SSD Drive. I can open and run other apps fine when the slow down happens but will keep my eye out for anything unusual. Could AVAST be interfering at all somehow whilst it's autosaving?

Ichiban likes this.
  7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    i7, 16GB RAM and SSD ... I don't think you'll (or should) ever experience that on your PC :Wink:

I thought it only happens on lower powered devices, aka Androids, lower spec laptops etc

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Doing a test now on a lesser powered computer. i3 I think it is. There are no other applications open just now and it's running just fine. I can see that the AVAST icon is operating though as if it's scanning something. Checking Task Manager and everything looks fine. Will start copy and pasting this text and see what happens. It's just started to auto save now.

Doing a test now, there are no other applications open just now and it's running just fine. I can see that the AVAST icon is operating though as if it's scanning something. Checking Task Manager and everything looks fine. Will start copy and pasting this text and see what happens. It's just started to auto save now.
    Doing a test now, there are no other applications open just now and it's running just fine. I can see that the AVAST icon is operating though as if it's scanning something. Checking Task Manager and everything looks fine. Will start copy and pasting this text and see what happens. It's just started to auto save now.

sdsadsaf
    dsfdfsdfs

fdfsdfjkslfjsdk sdfjklsdfjlksdjfklsda khjklfsah dfjkhajkl jka shfjkd hfjk

I've tried opening another webpage but all is still fine.

Let's try Youtube....

Youtube is running in the background and everything still seems fine.

fdsfsdfsdfjskljksadlfjksl safdjsdkljkljklfsad jlkjkljkljkslfads

Let's try a few more Youtube videos at the same time.

Now running three videos and it's still working fine.

Let's try Parkers.

Have now got Parkers open and it's still fine.

Will start opening some applications.

Some applications opening and it's still fine.

Lots of things running and open now and still now slow down.

fsdsdfsf
    So far so good.

Tried opening the Add Photos and Files and still ok. fjslkfjksldjfkljsfkljsdklf fsdjksldfjlksdjfsd

We are getting a very slight slowdown but every character still keeps up to speed.

Running some more videos. Still ok.fdsdfsd

k;lkf;lskfsdfks;lsfsfsd

fsfsdfs

sfsdfsd

jsakdlvnsnnnfvnsjnklsadjfsdlkjkjkljfkljkljkledkkdkkkd

All seems good. Feel free to delete this post. It's a tiny bit slower but nothing like before.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    can't see that happening with that spec.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was thinking about it and if it were resources would it not speed up again once it was finished doing whatever it was doing? It never speeds up until you've submitted your reply then it goes back to normal.

This is where it happened this morning on the less powerful computer which is: i3-2120, 4GB Ram, Windows 7 64-bit, Geforce GT 530 1GB Ram, regular 7,200rpm HD.

Introductions - Looking to buy 3rd Generation CR-V - advice?

I'll keep task manager open on the performance section so if it happens again I can check the processors and memory.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Testing again and seeing what happens if I do half a reply and then come back to it later on, so leaving it to auto save etc.

Left if a while and it's still working fine. Will remove the quote above now.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yo, I run a 3770k, 16GB RAM, 760 GTX (not kidding), and use Firefox without any issues. I do use Chrome and IE regularly on the site for testing, but admittedly not enough to perhaps note the issue.

Thinking about it, I have managed to get Safari to crash on the iPad a couple of times when writing huge chunks of text, it hangs, and then decides to crash - luckily the auto-save feature normally bails me out - I like to blame that on Apple, but chances are there is some kind of memory leak or script stuck in a loop I haven't yet diagnosed.

I personally wouldn't think it's related to the auto-save, that's a simple bit of AJAX and just polls on a set interval - I think it's another script which is processing without dumping its load at any point - like leaving a tap on in a sink, or just stuck in a loop.

Keep thoughts coming in, I'll start doing some device/scenario testing when I get a chance.

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The slow text thing started happening again so I took some screenshots with the performance monitor open if it helps.

HD.

CPU.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

For whatever reason you're operating on 2 cores out of 4, with the other two disabled. At no point did you hit peak utilisation either which means it's not a resource issue. That means script or browser issue :Unknown:

I'll give it more time when I can mate, but I'm struggling to debug it,

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    They aren't disabled, they are being used, it's just that the threads running on those cores aren't demanding much CPU.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They're parked, a feature introduced back with the early Core series Intel processors, it's just for power economy, the cores are re-activated when they're needed - I was saying for whatever reason they're "disabled" as I'm surprised Firefox wasn't utilising all the threads. For example I've got the same CPU and I'm idling 3-5% usage but with all threads active.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries here , however look at your Maximum CPU frequency graph it peaking out! it maxing out do you use this machine for gaming ? I would try setting windows to balanced mode in the power setting and check.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's purely a work computer with some graphic design, but I had nothing else open at the time and had even disabled the antivirus. Was using IE11 and not Firefox, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I've binned the computer today because I was having issues with it from performance to networking and now have a fairly decent setup. Was going to build it myself but just don't have the time, deadlines to meet etc so got them to build it for me. Will see how it goes with the new PC :Smile:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Fair play mate, keep us posted - it's an odd issue for sure.

19. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    I have a Sony Xperia Z and experience the lagging txt all the time which I put down to my phone? I find deleting txt is even worse than writing it and can write a whole sentence before actually shows on the screen :-/ Also the smileys don't work for me either???
    - - - Updated - - -

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I believe I've tracked down the bug now, it relates to the modifications made to allow tables support in posts. I'll get it patched as soon as I can.