HVAC Slow to heat up cabin

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by westcorkaccord, Sunday 25th Nov, 2012.

1. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    In 2009 I was done with my 1995 Golf 1.9 sdi van. I got a 2008 I-CTDI Accord EX saloon to replace it . I had the Golf for 11 years so It and me had been through a lot. As my wife had a 2002 Audi A6 Avant seven seater this was always the main car and still is. What i notice the most is a drive 32 mile to work and five miles into the drive the golf would be warm. But with the Accord it would be nearly 12 miles. The car has leather seats and thank God for the heaters I would be gone mad years ago. My wife had my car last week as I need the estate and she said that she tought the Honda was a colder car. ( NOTE the A6 has leather as well but there is no heaters in it ). Is this normal or is there something wrong with my car ?.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    That page will not open up for me.My car is Diesel is your one petrol ?.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    thread moved from the detailing section ..

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah that thread is not live its still in the testing phase so apologies. However the I-CTDI and I-DTEC both are really efficient engine and both have really slow cabin heaters. Have a look at this blog i-DTEC owners Heater & Air Conditioning System your findings

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you may find that the air mix motors cable has become detached. basicly the air mix motor is a motorised arm that swings through 180 degrease with a cable attached to it. it links your input via the climate controll pannel to the heater matrix flap in the engine bay, allowing hot water into the cabin on not. if detached, hot coolant will not circulate the cabin as the engine bay flap had not been moved. you need to look under the drivers side by taking the under dash shield off and look up towards the centre of the dash. if you are not sure what to look for i reccomend taking your car to a honda dealer who certainly will. ask them to look at the air mix motor cable :Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Just been reading this thread with interest as today when been out in my I-DTEC 2009 diesel noticed heat coming out was no way as hot as my I-CTDI it was just like luke warm air its far hotter in my I-CTDI

- - - Updated - - -

Just tried what the link says and definitely heats up faster.

8. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I will look it in more detail next week but over the next few days at the end of spin of around one hour I will adjust the temp from 24 dec down to 18 dec and back up and see if the temp out of the vents change . This will prove if it changes quickly that the vents and temperature control is working ok and they may be a problem with hot water. As was said already as engines get more effiency they might heat up the block fast but may not give enough hot water to the cabin heater.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need to get load on the engine to warm up. The Honda diesel both variants are very efficient they don't burn fuel to generate heat.

You can sit idling for 20 minutes from cold to get the heater going and it still will be luke warm.

10. black-hawk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Both my wife and myself have noticed the cabin is slow to warm up on our 2010 I-DTEC, will try the advice in the link, cheers.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I'm not the expert, but the main reason might be that the button for defogging is 'on'? This button will always activate the airco to dry the incoming air.
    The I-DTEC diesels have an inversed airco to warm the cabin if I'm not mistaking. But this can not work with defogging 'on'. Logic, no?
    The inversed airco can be found a lot of modern cars to warm up the cabin fast. Alternative is an electric heater extra (believe Merc. B has one).
    Had to be done, because modern diesels are very efficient and warm up extremely slow. Even my Civic 1.4 I-DSI petrol does not get to its normal 85°C on a cold day, (less than 5°C, 30 kms, only 5 kms highway).

12. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    i think iv found this flap under the bonnet its like a butterfly valve with a cable coming of it.its across the bulkhead and looks like it goes in to the car i take it thats the valve with the cable on that comes of.iv just got to find the end thats behind the dash.once the footwel panel is of is it easy to spot then ?

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    to me its quite easy as i know what i am looking for. maybe you could put a picture up? you need to look up under the drivers footwell towards the centre of the car.

14. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    il take a pic of it tomoz morning and post on hear then at weekend il have a look for the cable behind dash

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There you go look for the cable detached from it pivot there is special clip which holds the cable. Contact your nearest dealer for the clip.

AOCUK heating cable 8th gen.

16. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    cheers for that il have a look at weekend see if its come of at all

Ichiban likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    BTW if you need that special revised clip the part number is 90301-RBD-E00 get the parts guys ordering that clip provided that cable is out as shown.

This clip is different from the one installed originally on the car. I will ask HH to upload a photo is they have it in stock then one of the members can take a photo of the stock one.

Then we know the revised changes :Smile:

18. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thats a downside with diesels they just don't generate much heat in normal driving, especially when they are being extra cooled in these low temps, or used for short low rev journeys.

My commute is only 6 miles each way, so I have petrol, still takes 2 miles to really warm up.

Only alternative really is a water heater like a Kenlowe hot start, used a lot in colder European countries, certain Mercs 4x4s and Range Rovers have them as standard I beleive.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For the 8th Generation owners who have deep pockets they could invest in 8th Generation Honda Accord Parking Heaters

Never come to a cold car and the engine temprature will be kept at optimum range at start up..