General Slow Window

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 4th Jun, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure there is a thread or guide on this but I can't find it. My driver side window is slower than the passenger side and sometimes it does that thing where it will go up about 20% then shoot back down. Usually it will close the second time but if it doesn't then you can just push the window button quickly after hitting auto close to stop it manually then just auto close it.

I think it could just be dirty runners or some lubricating needed, but not 100% sure where to clean lube. Is it the runners going up the sides where the window would be when closed or is it down in the depths of the door?

Going to tackle this at the weekend as I'm shoving in some new brake pads at the same time.

Cheers

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I normally get some AutoGlym Rubber and Vinyl Care, a cloth and a flat screwdriver. Squirt the Rubber and Vinyl Care all the way round the rubber and use the screwdriver wrapped in cloth to clean inside the rubber (carefully) and this also helps the Rubber and Vinyl Care to penetrate inside.

Use plenty of Rubber and Vinyl Care, it'll not only get the grime off but it will replenish and soften the rubber up.

This should fix the problem for sure but occasionally you need to take the door card off and lube/clean the rubber that is inside the door frame too.

3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I normally use silicon grease after cleaning the channels like speedy suggested with a cloth, screwdriver and silicon oil. If its still slow after doing the upper part pulling the door card is a good idea. If it gets too bad you can damage rubber, motors, and window mechanisms so well worth the effort to get it right. Also the silicon oil is good for keeping all the rubber door seals pliable.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    That's great cheers, I'm getting this car in as good order as possible before selling.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cleaned up the rubbers and a bit of extra spray but not with decent lube and it improved but then an hour later got worse than before! Now it suddenly works fine and I've noticed a bit of the rubber seal has bent out. I think a good lube is needed and possibly some attention to the seal if this doesn't work. May have come away loose a little so perhaps need to remove it and put back in perhaps with a little bond?