Pre-Facelift Model Sluggish seatbelt

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by d'accord, Thursday 31st Oct, 2013.

1. d'accord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all; I've done a search here and on Google but couldn't find anything specific, so - is there a common, simple fix for a slow-to-return seatbelt (100,000+ miles)? Not spending £200+ on a £400 car!
    Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes its a relative easy fix the top anchor where the belt loops that will have grime and fluff you need to thoroughly clean the anchor so the belt can slide easy.

It will draw and retract easily once it's clean. I would use IPA aka Isopropyl Alcohol to give the belts a proper wipe down too.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    D'Accord, If you could do a DIY guide on this I can see this being a great contender for DIY Of the Month award (nice little reward to go with it :Smile:).

4. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    lol! Did mine this morning. Trying to clean my EGR plate, had to wait for engine to cool down first (and then couldn't get the bolts off the EGR valve so gave up). Whilst waiting, decided to have a go at my seatbelt. Works wonders now! Wasn't the top loop though, mine's kept rather clean.

Briefly (sorry, no pictures and very layman terms!)
    Remove the door kickguard thingys (plastic trims on the door sill bottom) - they just unclip. Large flatblade screwdriver handy for prising.
    Pull off the plastic trim from where the seatbelt is. It just pulls off, may find it useful to use screwdriver again. Tactically move seat back and forwards as you need :Wink:
    This exposes the seatbelt tensioner at the bottom. Put the front seat all the way forwards and work from the back of the car. The tensioner is supported by 2 bolts. Small one at the top is a philips screwdriver but you'll likely want a 10mm spanner/socket as mine was quite stiff. Bottom, if my memory is right, will need a 17mm socket. Unclip the electronics, remove both bolts and the whole thing comes away.
    There will be an absolute shedload of fluff behind the trims and on the tensioner - give it all a blowout and wipedown whilst it's out. There's a thin plastic shroud behind the tensioner, that just pulls out - give that a wipe down too.
    There's probably a million and one things you can use to clean the belt tensioner and belt; I used silicon spray for the belt (as it was handy, not sure if it's recommended!) Wiped down the whole belt with it. Sprayed a little WD40 with the stray onto the mech.
    Smooth as anything now!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would not spray any lubricant on the seat belt mechanism anywhere , if that gets on the belt and in time of emergency it will not grip.Please this is a safety device it should not have any lubrication hence the reason to use IPA.

6. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    What exactly is it supposed to be gripping? It's not a friction stopper. Silicone spray is also what I've been recommended to use by just about everyone. As said, very careful on the mech itself.

Last edited: Friday 1st Nov, 2013
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    how does the belt stop then ?

8. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    The end of the belt is fixed in the reel, the mechanism is geared. (from what I can see).

9. d'accord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha looks like @synaesthesia snuck in to try to grab the prize! I'll try it that way and report back but right now the rain is coming down in firkins (yep, that's a firkin lot of rain) so will have to wait a while. Thanks everyone.

10. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Heh don't worry, if you do it feel free to grab some pictures and do a proper job of it! Just glad I managed to get mine done this morning before the rain, it's chucking it down here too :Frown:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes that internal but where is the external stopping force applied to =belt. if that slippery then retractor can't do a lot.

12. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Sorry, not a clue what you're referring to! Belt retraction and tension (for instance during a harsh stop where the belt locks in place) isn't affected by any such lubrication. Nothing is relying on either the seatbelt or any other belt to provide that safety (friction driven) so I can't see the issue!

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    read your post your belt in a drum and it lock, and read my response and make the relation where inertia is transferred to

However but anyone reading this thread please DO Not use any lubricants on the belts or drum it will lead to cross contamination.

14. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Sorry dude, you're not making much sense. I'm out anyway, despite being well meaning I only ever seem to get berated by you.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    seriously you are failing to grasp the concept how the retractor works .. berated you having a laugh.

Please tell me where in the owners manual and workshop manual does honda state to lubricate the retractor I will take every single word I have said to keep the so called peace with you .

You may think what you have done is harmless but if you can't grasp the ramifications behind then it impossible to change that perception.