General Small puddle in boot

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Mazeyshane, Wednesday 24th Aug, 2016.

1. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anither day another problem, under the spare wheel well is a little puddle and i can't seem to see anywhere it is coming through, anyone else had this problem? And any advice would be good, getting bored of the problem with my honda but love it to much to pack it in and get another car!!!

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Have you check boot seals and maybe the light cluster seals?

I once locked myself in the boot of my Yaris and asked a friend to pour water over the rear quarter.. Turned out the rear light seal had gone hard and started letting water in.

3. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The seals are fine mate :Frown: i had jet wash on it and couldn't see any immediate leaks or anything:/ when j first got the car the boot was soaking, but i just had that down to it not being used proper, but it seems ro be fine its just a tiny lil puddle and well don't eant the floor go rusty or anything :Frown: but the seals seem fine, there is a tiny tear in the boot seal i have found but thats it

4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

has yours got a electric aerial? the seal around the base of mine was leaking and so my boot would fill with water. Also there is a drain in the bottom of the aerial, that bends down into the rear wheel arch, mine had also split so water was also getting in there,

5. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No mate, its on the roof my aerial bud :Frown:

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

check it anyway, in case the rubber base has gone hard. and its leaking inside the roof lining.

7. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will do mate, nothing in the boot for water drainage

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

couple of drain plugs, but that's it mate. Only thing I can think of now is that maybe the seal that goes all the way around the boot is leaking, especially when you pressure wash it. And you said you checked the tail light seals?

9. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah mate they seem fine, nit hard or anything

Harvey likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

not sure. I know mine had a rusty hole in a wheel arch on the outer body side, but I wasn't getting any water through it, at least I don't think I did. That was before I got it repaired.

11. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ill have double check everything, i know there is a little tiny rip in in the seal around boot but thats it

Harvey likes this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you coming to Castle Combe in September?

13. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No mate don't think so why??

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Was just wandering mate is all.

As for the boot lip seal, just make sure its fully seated down on the lip and the lip is intact, otherwise it could be leaking under the seal

15. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will mate, if i get chance after work ill take the seal off and put it all back on again and see how we go, or ill put some siliconearound it, shoudl sort it??

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

up to you, when someone put silicone around my boot seals they did a terrible job and I think it caused more issues how they did it, as often water would sit under the silicone than go over it.

17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Put some boot polish on the top of the seal and close the boot. The polish will transfer onto the boot and shoe up where its not making contact. Drainage bungs are in the wheel well

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was gonna say as well that I once used vaseline on a leaking sunroof rubber seal, and it never leaked again, but it was abit messy.

19. Mazeyshane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm might just source a new bott seal thwn and try that and where abouts are the bungs mate??? And ill try the boot polish and the vasaline trick, not bothered if it makes a mess, aslong as my boot don't rust:Frown:

20. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They look like this

CW3 Wet Boot! (Body, Paint & Styling - )

Sometimes they put them under the sound insulation which doesnt help a huge amount. All cars, regardless of make, have drainage holes in the boot, as well as within the cabin itself, normally one per section (drivers, front passenger, rear left and rear right passenger). Look under the car by the boot, see if you can see a rubber bung.

Harvey likes this.