Body, Paint & Styling Smashed from behind...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Chrispike, Friday 26th Dec, 2014.

1. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now now :Tongue:

Woman drove into the rear side of my accord. Not too bad but bad enough to smash the bumper off (she was closing garage door when I got in, I reversed out of parking space (she wasnt moving when i checked) next thing I know, shes pulled off and driven into the rear of my car!))

drivers side bottom screw mount is sheered off, the other screws just pulled out (managed to reattach these) also both bolts underneath bootlid had to be removed and refitted to line bumper up.

See picture. Insurance dealing with it. Bodyshop gonna ring me on Monday to book it in to be looked at. While I was arranging this, she knocked on the door, my father answered and she said "I drove into your sons car earlier". Unfortunately with no witnesses either way, and with her being unlikely to admit this to her insurance company, do you think im looking at a 50/50 blame situation here?

Other than a new bumper, are there any other likely costs I should know about?

20141224_103934.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I definitely need to get my rear dash cam fitted!

3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about this Chris.

This is where you find out how good your insurer really is unfortunately.

The fact she has stated this to your father is an admission of liability. Even without independent witnesses it is now harder for her and her insurer to say it's nothing to do with them.

Has she provided you with any details at all? Car Reg number, contact details of any kind, insurer details? I hope she has as then this adds more weight to your side of the argument. (Why would someone provide these details following a collision if it was not their responsibility?)

The fact your car is damaged on the rear and her's will have damage on the front corresponding to the sequence of events is also evidence in your favour.

Unfortunately it now boils down to how bothered your insurer can be. You can argue against them going "knock for knock" but unfortunately a lot of insurers take this as the lazy way out. I'm no expert but I'm certain at the end of the day you do not have to accept the decision to go "knock for knock" (where both insurers agree to pay for their own loss). However, the downside of this is you will either then have to fund the repair out of your own pocket or your insurer will pay out but this will usually (depending on if your insurer offers no fault third party damage cover) count as a claim against your no claims etc.

I know when I had my Accord written off by a third party it took over a year to settle the claim simply because my insure could not be bothered. They informed me that it was actually my fault according to the third party insurer. When I directed them to the photographs of the actual damage, police reports, witness statements etc and how that proved it was the third party to blame they climbed down but unfortunately you have to be firm with them sometimes.

Good luck and I hope this works out for you. :goodluck:

4. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im willing to kick up a fuss, I need to inform the insurers about her statement. It wasn't my fault and I don't want to pay any of my excess out.

She did give me all her details, the damage to her car was fairly minimal (paint chips and a small easy to pull out dent to the front wing) She tried to get me to not involve insurance and fix our own damage, but since it wasnt my fault, im not willing to spend £800+

Am with Tesco insurance

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    If it's of any consolation I've been getting pretty annoyed with lazy insurance companies with my work and how they'd rather just pay out than risk fighting it, so I took this up with our broker and they said that apparently they are now starting to investigate and fight cases more now. They said its new policy now so perhaps you could be luck?

6. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Hope it gets fixed soon

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good luck with the claim bud. My dad was with them when his car was hit by a van. Fortunately the driver admitted to it but he still had to pay his excess and reclaim it which took over two months! Tesco car insurance are a shambles, next renewal he skipped them even though they were the cheapest.

EDIT: Forgot to mention his car was parked so not doubt over who's fault it was!

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi guys,
    Don't know how things are settled in UK, but if you're the one reversing, than there's only a very small chance you'll see money. In Belgium the one reversing has to give way, no matter what happens....
    How come you believe it's not your fault while reversing?

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If your rear impact bar hasn't been damaged at all, you're likely literally looking at a new rear bumper (and lip if damaged, can't see it in the photo). You can pick them up from the breakers around the £100 mark, the closer you get to the age of your car, the more likely the paint transition to the bumper will look seamless. Worst case, it wants spraying and blending after being fitted, again around the £100 mark from a backstreet body shop.

On the damage front, it doesn't look too bad at all. I would ring her up, tell her you can get it fixed for X amount and although you're still unwilling to bare with cost yourself, it would likely save her more in the long run because of the additional premiums she'd incur, see if she bites.

In regards to the insurance scenario itself, to be quite frank I can't see them blaming her because you were reversing - they might even pin the blame solely on you. I would see if you can persuade her to cover your damage, if you can't, I would actually pay to have it fixed yourself - even a non-fault claim will bump up your insurance for the next few years.

10. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting about Belgium. She hadn't started her maneuver when i'd started moving. In fact, id finished my reverse and had come to a complete stop when she drove into me.

Insurance ball has already started rolling, i'll just have to see what happens.

I've attempted to fit bumpers on previous cars, they never go on correctly.

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Hope you get it sorted soon mate - as @John Dickson says - he is bang on right, you also do not have to accept their suggestion and can fight it depending on how far you wish to push it. Your dad is technically a witness as she has told him she hit your car - thats an admission right there. They will probably push for 50/50 claim.

Got any more pics?

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Family members aren't seen as countable witnesses though right? From my understanding they can't be associated with either party.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think the that's just in Scotland? It was a long time ago when someone hit my brother with my dad and I in the car.

14. Nighthawk Guest

As he wasnt involved in the incident I thought he could be - I stand to be corrected if I am wrong though, insurance claims arent my area of expertise and luckily I have never needed to use one for my personal vehicles.

Either way, I hope you get her sorted soon @Chrispike

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm not 100% sure, but when someone hit my car way back, even though I had 3 people in the car I was told none could be used as witnesses, as anyone in either of the vehicles, or my friends and family weren't seen as impartial.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Same over here, in Belgium. Would be to easy... :Wink:

17. Nighthawk Guest

Fair enough, it makes sense - too easy to manipulate the system.

18. Chrispike Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gonna ring insurance again today, gonna make it clear that I wasnt actually moving during the collision and to inform them about her comments to my father, whether he is a relevant witness or not....

19. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I hope they do their best to sort this for you @Chrispike

I was paying over the odds to insure with "Honda Insurance" (was actually underwritten by Zurich at the time) thinking I would get the level of service you would always associate with the Honda name, when I had my Accord written off.

Despite being 100% obvious it was the third part's fault from photos, witness statements, police reports they just sat back and accepted the third party insurer's version of events that it was actually my fault. My premium jumped to over £1,000 because it was still outstanding when renewal time came and because I had an outstanding claim I could not, or could not get cheaper, renewal anywhere else. I rang them and chased them and they then chased the third party for settlement.

Basically I had to more or less do their job for them.

I rang Honda UK once this was settled to tell them my case and soon after Honda Happiness Car Insurance changed underwriters to Equity Red Star. I hoped it was because of my experience but was probably more to do with the contract with Zurich expiring.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team