Engine & Gearbox Smoke after Remap, 2.2 Cdti, 87k miles, 2006

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Rob Nunn, Wednesday 22nd Jan, 2014.

1. Rob Nunn New Member Getting Started

Hi gang,

Was hoping to get some advice on my smoke issue.

When using the Turbo a considerable amount of black smoke is generated from the exhaust, normally starts between 2-3k RPM, more smoke is generated in 3rd and 4th and more if the gear change is fast (meaning not sat in 3rd ready to go, more thrown into 3rd for opportunistic overtaking).

I had the car remapped by Custom Tuning.co.uk, I originally rang about another issue which was occasionally on start up 1st gear would be a little jumpy, with this came a warning light, upon having this looked at it was the fuel manifold valve (Possibly P2006), the guy who tested it said that this was sticking, I thought this was the cause of my smoke and with a good run would clear itself.

So now I am thinking I have a ECU issue, where the car is constantly over fueling.

The car also does not eat oil as expected, I have not had to put oil into it for over 6 months.

One other observation was the car also smoke on deceleration, High rev decel produces just as much smoke, I though during decel the car shuts of the fuel (with clutch up), as the momentum through the clutch is driving the wheels.

My fuel economy isnt great either, barely above 50 MPG, I drive fairly sedately with the occasional overtaking.

So my question is to Forum, is it the remap that is causing the problem or is it some part of the engine not working as intended?
    Is there anything I can do or look at to get to the bottom of this situation.

Regards

Bob

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    First two things that spring to my mind is EGR clean and turbo seals, although I'm guessing the latter would cause white smoke. But if it wasn't smoking before the remap then it's pretty certain there's a problem with the map. I would take it back, have the original map uploaded back on and check for smoke.

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get rid of the remap and put the car back to stock. If you need a faster car change the car.

Update.

Bob sorry if my comment seems harsh but I have a huge dislike for remaps.
    My diesel doesn't feel quick enough, that's why I'm saving up for an NSX. :Wink:

Last edited: Wednesday 22nd Jan, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    From what you say you seem to be surprised at the amount of smoke being produced which would lead me to believe it wasn't doing this before the remap. I agree with arcticfire, get the remap removed and see if the smoke improves/ decreases. Sounds like the remap is over fueling.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I would also put it back to stock to see if that solves the issues, I'd hold the original company responsible for sorting that out.

While I don't believe there's any problems with having a remapped car if done right - you might want to try a reputable outfit experienced in Honda engines to get a new map done. Celtic Tuning have an on-going relationship with the club and are probably the place I'd recommend most. TDI North is an alternative, but they do receive mixed reviews, including a slightly biased dyno.

Last edited: Wednesday 22nd Jan, 2014
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Bob I would echo DD remarks and see how the car respond the to stock map with a good service using genuine parts.. then get the remap firm to put the remap and see what it does.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    have you had the IMRC solenoid valve replaced? (intake manifold runner controll valve) i presume that is the trouble code you were told about. this will not in itself cure the smoking problem if at all but requires changing for the car to run propperly. regards the re-map it all depends on how fuel rich they have set the map as to how much smoke you are seeing on acceleration etc. but before pointing the finger at injectors/ECU/turbo etc i would have your car back to stock and as suggested carry out an oil change and check the condition of your filters. some people would expect a certain ammount of smoke after a remap as reasonable according to how much of a power hike they have got. but if its that you are worrying about then definatly have it taken back off and take it as a lesson learnt. don't bother with re-maps, there more trouble than they are worth!!

Nels and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bob any feedback on this bud?

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hang on a sec....

lol

I would invest in either this: Supper Mini Bluetooth Car Code Reader Compatible with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics and download torque (if you have a Smart Phone on Android). I've got this Bluetooth dongle and it's works flawlessly for ages now. There's a lot of crap ones about.

Or for ultimate reliability then this Foxnovo® MaxiScan MS509 OBD-II EOBD Scanner Code Reader: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics which uses a cable and can display live data from sensors and log it.

Hook it up and check out your fuel trims.

10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    if your remap was made by just uploading new map to the ECU, it's not remap then ;-) have you been on dyno to see how much power you've got and what's the graph look like?
    I'm sure your smoking problems are caused by "remap" as probably all limits about fuelling has been cleared and your car is getting much more diesel then it needs and because standard IC are really small car is not able to burn all diesel that's why there is so much smoke :Wink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Rob Nunn any feedback to what been happening since?