General Snowing 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian100, Wednesday 9th Jan, 2013.

1. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes its snowing here in Cyprus, not just the troodos eithere but in Paphos as well, very cold so I have suspended work on the car at the present untill the weather warms up, it's not worth freezing for.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You must have had our quota of snow dumped onto you !! I have had no snow in the latter two months of 2012.

Very strange for snow in Cyprus.

3. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Yeah sure is snowing in Cyprus, my mate sent me this pic today. This is just outside Kyrenia.

Unusual to get snow as low as that on the mountain.

Snow_zpsb036c304 - Copy.

4. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It may seem that I ambeing paranoid here, has it followed me here? Do you get the feelingthat wherever you go the bad weather follows!, even the Cypriots arecomplaining it's to cold, the suns out at the moment so a little bitwarmer . My friend who lives in Tsada which is 600 Mtrs above sea level has also had two inches of snow, normaly it's colder up there but no snow, don't like this at all, come on summer. Kyrenia is in direct path from the north.

Last edited: Thursday 10th Jan, 2013
  5. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    I have to say Brian, in the 10 years I lived in Cyrus, I have only ever known it get that cold once before, and that was January 2008 I think.

Most other years it has been mild enough to wear only T shirts in day time.

6. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Ezeetrucker, that is what the Cypriots are saying, talk of the town now I thought it was only Brits that talk about the weather ha ha ha, winter clothes are flying off the coat hangers now, gas heaters are like gold dust, I'm off to the auction Saturday in Geraskipou to see if they have a gas heater there, it gets a bit chilly in the apartment in Tala, not that much higher than Paphos but high enough to be about 4 degrees lower, by the way there is no winter heating subsadies this year for the folks that are higher up like Tsada, although I have herd that the goverment are getting it from the EU, as the saying goes "well your in Cyprus now" and of course they have no money, so the rest go cold.

7. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    hehe my sister live in Ayia Napa and she texted me about snow too, I'm waiting for snow here, but it seems I'll have to send my winter tyres to her ;-)

8. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Wouldn't send them too soon Brodziu, forecast snow here ( Lincolnshire) this weekend. Watch this space.

9. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I hope they're right and I'll see some snow here in North West, so I'll have a chance to test me tyres :Smile:

10. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ask a Cypriot for snow tyres and he will say we only have rubber ones, I joke of course, can't even buy anti freeze here only at happy hour, ha ha ha, I have tried to buy potacium nitrate Kn03 to make a smoke bomb to test for vacuum leaks, it would be easyer to find gold dust, so a friend of mine a plumber has some smoke pellets so I think I will crush some of them up and try it, if not I may have to take the car to a garage "ouch" to get them to find the leak and I do the work, all I can do is ask. The sun is coming out again, yipee.

11. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Gosh - amazing! I suppose (sadly) its only a matter of time before we get snow

12. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Snow is forecast here (Lincolnshire) late this afternoon.

13. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We had a light dusting Yesterday morning in Dudley and we're expecting 5cm tomorrow morning.

14. Moniker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Snow!

IMG_0929.
    The scene out in rural Perthshire this weekend. Woke to some fairly heavy snow - cleared nearly 1.5" off the car before we went anywhere after breakfast. It was my first time travelling in the snow with the Tourer, a fresh fall without much in the way of ICE or accompanying frost.

I didn't fit snow tyres this year and haven't bought any snow socks for her (yet), but she handled very well at a steady pace on the track until we got onto a main road. The weight of the diesel on the front wheels makes the steering very predictable and aids with setting off from a standstill.

The only difference to a normal start for me was turning off the traction control until I was moving forward, and quickly followed by the parking sensors, which were being set off by the snow flakes!

Has anyone else got any Honda specific snow driving tips from experience?

Moniker

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Snow!

Love snow,wish we had some here.
    Drive slow,keep your distance and don't brake hard.Use engine breaking.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Snow!

Yeah I love driving in snow too.

Nothing Honda specific but in general, start in second gear to avoid wheel spin. go up the gears quicker than normal.

Give extra distance, use engine to slow down and only use brakes.

Make sure you have done all your winter checks. Antifreeze and windscreen washer at correct level and correctly mix.

17. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    IMAG0048.

Overnight snow here in Lincolnshire, not much left on the roads though.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    its pretty heavy here in north Leeds.

Will get a picture soonish

19. Brian100 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No snow in Paphos 18c today lovely.

20. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a couple of hours heavy snow between 11am and 1 pm today then nothing until now and it's throwing it down fairly heavily here. Earlier start required tomorrow I think roads will be a nightmare getting to work!