General So I'm going to be a Dad and now need a new car. What would you get?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racy Jace, Thursday 15th Aug, 2013.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys :Bye:

So my wife (Catherine) is 22 weeks pregnant with our first child and she now needs a small 5 door car.

At the minute shes got a Suzuki Ignis sport which she loves as it can fit in to any car parking space. We need something small but with a big enough boot for a travel system buggy etc. Also it needs to have better economy than the Ignis but hopefully not to lacking too much in the power. The Ignis does 35mpg (short) /42mpg (Long) with a 0-60 of 8.9 secs. All her journeys are small as she does about 6k a year in mileage so most likely would be a petrol .

We're being given a Petite Star Kurvi travel system so when I get a chance I will be take it to garages to try in the boot.

Ideally I would want to pay about £5000 for our next car but it seems like £10000 is whats needed. The models I've ended up short listing are

Honda Jazz EX- Face lift (Nice drive, Pathetic engine, low spec )
    Toyota Yaris SR - Face lift (Reverse cam, half leather and Sat nav/ media etc)
    VW Polo 1.2 tsi (Great MPG and performance. Reliablity?? No.5 JD power Survey)
    Seat SKoda 1.2 tsi
    Ibiza 1.2 tsi
    Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium 65mpg petrol!!

I've only test driven the the top two cars so far. I just wondered what small car you guys would go for. Obviously the cheaper the better :Blushing:
  2. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Congratulations Jace.Wish you all the best.
    Yaris sound like a good choice.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Congrats Jace personally in that list I would go with Ford Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost Titanium or the Jazz Hybrid the rest should be destined for crusher as metak Fodder.!
  4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Zoran. The Yaris does seem good but I've got to see if a Maxicosi Pebble car seat fits in as some mother online said it didn't fit which seemed a bit strange. The rides not as good as the Jazz but you get a lot for your money plus it will most likely have warranty remaining on it.
  5. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I drove fiesta and it's was quite ok, also as far as I know there is no road tax :Smile:
  6. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All Jazz drivers should be made to retake thier tests. Havent come across a decent one yet !!!
  7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unfortunately the hybrid Jazz is too expensive . The fiesta is slightly bigger than we would like as parking is really tight but I think it may be OK. I need to test drive one and see where I can park it as it won't fit on our drive.
  8. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

FR-V all day long.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Congrats mate ! I wondeedr why we hadn't heard much from you recently :Smile:
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just looked at the specs of the FR-V and its far to big plus the engines arent very efficient:Unknown:. We need it to be no bigger than a Fiesta due to our parking restrictions. :Sorry:
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

What about a Nissan Note? Or even a Juke??

Or for a real left field choice, a late model Daihatsu Terios could be interesting...
  12. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Congratulations Racy Jace. Whata Guy, thinking about changing the car before he even decorates !! :GoodJob:

I know what you mean about the FR-V being to big, its is wide and longer. As for fuel consumption couldn't you get a petrol and LPG it? The only reasons I push the point is I have a two year old and knowing what equipment is needed to ferry them about to sitters and family and on days out you may regret not getting an FR-V in the end.

Ours is totally invaluable. We have a Polo also, and to consider doing anything other than a small city run in it just doesnt bere thinking about !

A cars not just for Christmas :Rolf:
    Ichiban likes this.
  13. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I suppose that it depends on whether you intend to stop at one child...
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congrats on the news Jace, well chuffed for you!

Find yourself a 1.4 Jazz EXL or EXL-T.

They don't cost that much more than the 1.2s, they will be utterly bombproof, have loads of space, nippy and parkable in any tight spot. I've loaned a few various Jazz's and the 1.4 is no slouch. I'd rather terminate my wifes pregnancy than let her use a Ford or VW frankly. Bit extreme, but you get my drift...LOL :Rolf:

- - - Updated - - -

Forget the Yaris as well unless you like to visit Toyota dealerships every 53 hours.

They are nightmares. Shocking build quality, cheap nasty interiors and won't even be worth a polished turd when you look to get something bigger.
  15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys. :Bye: For the last 11 years my cars always been used for the long journeys while I use my wife's for short journeys. All her work journeys are short too so as long as the car is big enough for a travel system that's all we'll need I hope. Oh, We're only planning on having one kid at the minute as I don't think we can afford two.

The problem we have with parking is our drive is very very small. Our next car will now have to be parked on the pavement but we have a lamppost to the left and our neighbors car to the right. That just leaves about 4m to play with.

I do like the Note as a friend of mine has a diesel version. (No DPF problems either) The petrol 1.6 MPG is no different to what we have now but it does come with a good spec so I'm not ruling it out. I just looked at the Juke and it has better MPG with the same engine?? The car may be too long but Ill' re-measure and see if it would squeeze in between my neighbours car and the lamp post.
    I do like what I've seen with the Polo. I just worry about reliability but if you've had yours a while and rate it then I'll keep it on my list.

I test drove a 1.4 EX and it seemed really slow but nice to drive. I do love the boot and the magic rear seats are fab so I wouldn't mind getting one at the right price. I want one with parking sensors and sat nave but that costs 11k second hand!!

The Toyota comes with 3 years remaining warranty so surely that counts for something?? The new shape Yaris is actually really good I thought inside and it was £3k less than a Honda. It didn't drive as nice though but still acceptable.
  16. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Being a Skoda owner (until I find an Accord), have you looked at a Fabia, they do an estate version which could come in handy for lugging all the baby bits.
    Not too sure about the looks personally, but that's me.
  17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I looked at the Fabia briefly as it can come with the same 1.2 tsi 105bhp as in the Polo or Ibiza but its not the pretiest car in the world and I did find it strange that the fabia was the heaviest car out of all of them.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

In the 2013 What Car? reliability survey, the Polo was neither near the top nor near the bottom of the supermini category. They found it to be pretty dependable, with regular issues (with 2005-2009 cars) with wishbones, control arms, shock absorbers and springs. Engine cooling circuits also can be a problem. They do note that it is pretty cheap to fix though, on average £100 per repair cheaper than the Fiesta.

Not trying to put you off, but before I had my VW Tiguan with the exploding DSG gearbox, back in 2001 I had a brand new (German built) Polo. It was so bad that VW eventually took it back and replaced it. Loads of paintwork, electrical and mechanical issues. The replacement (Spanish built) Polo was 100% fine make of that what you will. Viva Espana?! For my money if you are going that way you may as well save some cash and have the Seat or Skoda version of the same thing...

One other option that I have is the Nissan Cube. Accept not for everybody, but certainly different - I actually really like them (maybe I'm just a bit odd...?)

Used CUBE 1.6 16v in Belmont - Nissan Used Cars UK

Many congratulations on your news by the way :Smile: (was more focussed on the car choices earlier!). And one piece of advice...a friend of mine (West Ham fan) was having a "wetting the baby's head" session after the birth of his second child a few years ago. Not long previously, West ham had been relegated, and after a few drinks he noted to his wife (with considerable "passion") that,

"...childbirth isn't the most painful thing, stop complaining. Seeing your team relegated is the most painful thing in the WORLD! That's real pain!"

Somewhat surprised he retained the ability to have any further children given the look she gave him at that moment...:Rolf:
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be fair, you could probably live without the parking sensors, or buy a cheaper kit to put on afterwards. Very few Jazz's I have seen have them on so finding a specific one could be tricky (and pricey!).

As for the Yaris, well, I wouldn't put much faith in their warranty - my brother had one and they refused warranty work on a failed EGR. As for the newest Yaris, I think the plastics they use come out of a coalmine - horrible to look at and touch - hence why it is cheaper than the Jazz. It is a low build quality car and I can guarantee it would fall apart faster than a new Jazz would - and as you rightly note, its pretty crap when you drive it too.

IMHO - Yaris: AVOID!
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check the brakes work :lol: we don't want the legendary Toyota's unintended-acceleration coming into play.

SpeedyGee likes this.