Tools Socket Set + Ratchet

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 9th Jul, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As explained in another thread, I am finding it hard to remove a bolt - I have realised that I have the wrong equipment.

So far my budget conscious toolkit comprises of:
    - 60pc Screwdriver set and trim removal tool (Rolson Tools 36820 60 Piece Screwdriver Set in Blow Moulded Case: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

- A 10yr old Black and Decker electric screwdriver
    - £15 SDS drill (surprisingly good - I've fit many cameras on external walls using it!)

Anywho I'm looking to add a proper ratchet and socket set (the screwdriver set comes with some but it's almost impossible to use, and when I use them with the electric screwdriver all I generate is fumes)

Ideally I want to buy some before 2pm today, I have narrowed my choice down to the following:
    1) Mannesmann Socket and Bit Set (130 Pieces): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - big ass set but is it any good? 50mm extension probably won't be enough

2) Bahco SL25 Socket Set 25 Piece 1/4 Inch Drive: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - liking the 100mm extension bar

3) Bahco S330 Socket Set 33 Piece 1/4 and 3/8 Square Drive: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - noticed this one comes with a spark plug remover and a 150mm extension bar but £35 is really pushing my budget but this seems cheap relative to the above

4) http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...advanced-professional-36-piece-socket-set-1-4
    Completely forgot to check Halfords, all there socket sets are half price atm but I guess its like the DFS sale.. never ending. This is less than half however and seems quite the bargain.

5) http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/socket-sets/halfords-65-piece-socket-set-1-4-3-8
    Seems alright, no lifetime guarantee

I know very little with car tinkering and less so with the tools required as illustrated above, that said I've done quite a lot with the car this summer and I want to continue with the cold air project and hopefully a few more before uni starts again.

Ideally I want to spend a max of £30 but with tools I know that usually price is proportional to quality. Feel free to suggest other sets, if the set can do multiple jobs then all the better.

Thanks for reading :Smile:

Last edited: Wednesday 9th Jul, 2014
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've heard good things about Bahco, for the price the 3rd set posted seems to have most of what you'll need. On my 7th I rarely find I need sizes other than:

10mm, 13mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right, in that case would the 100pc set be any use in the foreseeable future. I know it costs £100 but if it has everything I'll ever need then probably worth it otherwise I'll skip this and go for the more expensive Bahco and buy stuff as I need them?
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...essional-150-piece-socket-ratchet-spanner-set

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That is an excellent tool set, and many members here have that exact one, @Ichiban recommended that to me when I was looking a little while ago. I know so many people with that particular set, and they've all lasted well for many years. The only thing which stopped me from getting one is that I'd heard a few spread reports looking around the net that Halford's had changed suppliers and it wasn't the same quality these days as it used to be. Either way, lifetime guarantee. I just like to be different :Smile:

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's either the Bahco and buying things as I go along or going for the Halfords. I will probably save money over time with the Halfords set but it's always going to be in my car so people stealing it is also an issue. Plus I wanna get axel stands and a proper jack so I can start working on basics like oil changes. Just did an oil change at 6k miles (oil was very black) and I definitely felt it affecting the engine over the last 1000 miles. Ideally I can cut it down to every 6 months/3000 miles if I can do it myself.

Plus I don't like Halfords much as brand, I avoid them as much as I can if possible.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Why not buy another brand 100+ piece set? There's tons of reputable manufacturers out there, I went for the Famex 173-piece but far smaller would do you, and you'd have a single case to store them all.

Infact, you could buy a small cheap 20-30 piece set for now which can live in your car, then get a full decent set at a later date. I did the same thing.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I've got one of those big Halfords sets and also a Stanley one (actually better quality than the Halfords one) however I don't have a garage so work from a toolbag so I use this setup. (Obviously I've got various spanners, pliers, extensions, impacts, bolt removers, breaker bars, torque wrenches, lubes etc etc aswell but I just try and buy the best or recommended at the time)

Tiny box, fits in the glovebox 1/4" (note the screwdriver in that set also have a female 1/4" in the end of it, so you can insert the ratchet to break or tighten further)
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...advanced-professional-36-piece-socket-set-1-4

Takes up little room in any bag
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...dvanced-professional-15-piece-socket-rail-3-8

Longer than a normal 3/8ths, more leverage, flexible head
    (link dead, removed by staff)

Nice grippy rubber handles, magnetic tip, made in Germany. (I've got two sets for the car and the mountain bike)
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ga...advanced-professional-8-piece-screwdriver-set

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
    Chunkylover53 and Ichiban like this.
  8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the detailed response @AndyB1976. I quite like the way you're using those 4 sets therefore I went with the Bahco S330. It's a bit over budget but at least I can mix and match parts as required. Plus as DD said, I can buy more as I go along.

Now to buy some axel stands and a decent jack? (unless the Honda supplied one can do the job?).

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Jacks and stands, I recall a thread about that ...(Arcan anyone lol)

Depends on your space and working environment however we probably all have had a small trolley jack which is way better than a scissor jack, but overall a big stable trolley jack is a joy to use.

Have a read through this thread, it will blow your budget I presume but if working on your car(s) is going to be a common thing, you won't go wrong and haven't heard a complaint from any of the guys whom have bought it.

Tools - Halfords 5-Piece Kit, Any Good? • Honda Karma

AccordCU2 likes this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm still after an Arcan trolley jack at some point, I actually had the chance to use one the other day when working on my rear camber arms and it was so much better than working with a cheap Silverline 1.8 ton jack (same as the standard Halfords and many others just painted differently).

Axle stands, I just use some cheap Silverlines from Amazon, they don't run much a pair at all and do the job nicely.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was considering some ratchet style lifts that were around the £20 mark and some basic axel lifts. Space is my issue though, I don't have a garage + my mums really particular about car stuff in the house. Even the rags we use to wash the car aren't allowed inside until its properly cleaned :ShelfShoot:

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I wouldn't' scrimp on Axle Stands personally, if you are underneath and it collapses then you'll never find a hat that fits your head again lol

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Understood, I assumed that axels with a combined weight capacity of 4 tonnes would suffice. Will look into this further when oil change is needed...

14. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry I wasn't speaking specifically about any recommended above, just a general thought :Thumbup:...

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Here's your answer, I don't have Silverlines apparently: "You purchased this item on 24 Oct 2013."

They do the job just fine.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant, ordering. I take it I need no other tools to lift the front end of the car other than wheel chocks?

Also is there a second sort of lift I can use if one of axel stands fail for whatever reason or am I just being paranoid? :Messed:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Not at all, just jack her up at another point, then put the axle stands under the proper jack points behind each front wheel. My jack doesn't allow me to lift the car high enough on the front jack point to get both axle stands in high enough for my liking - so I use wood blocks on top of the jack seat to get more height :Laughing:

Shouldn't really need wheel chocks if lifting the frontend, long as your handbrake is sound, but lifting the rear you'd want to leave the car in gear and use the chocks on the front for safe measure - else nothing is stopping her from rolling.

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good shout, should be able to sort it all out for under £40 by the looks of things.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Have a look at Clarke tools from MachineMart, I have bought a lot of stuff from there and it is always good quality, reasonably priced and good service. Other tools I have are mainly Draper, their professional range is good and decently priced and Sealy make some good stuff.

One company I would avoid is Silverline, their stuff is cheap nasty stuff, I bought tools for a spark plug job and all the bits wouldn't work, the extension bars wouldn't hold onto the sockets and would come off leaving me with a stuck socket inside the spark plug chamber, wrenches that disintegrate, honestly poop quality company, buy cheap buy twice, learnt my lesson.