Soduim Silicate -aka Liquid Glass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Saturday 27th Aug, 2016.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Petrol can ruin the internals as quick as sodium silicate.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've never heard of sodium silicate getting into an engine! When I was young we used it to coat eggs so that they'd last longer. How would it get into to an engine?

Petrol would damage the fuel pump, but probably not a total lack of flow or pressure. I think that something has snapped or sheared. Possibly an easy DIY unless it's the timing chain?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Look for cash for clunker clunkers on youtube , its freighting how quickly sodium silicate destroys engines for good..

I want to do that all Germans cars..lol

Zebster likes this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I have now learnt what this is all about... Utter madness!

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    That stuff was awesome

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All BMW and Audi car drives should be given this in the boot of their cars at the point of sale for topping up the engine oil.

7. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    For a slow and painful death over time - I like it

Maybe put a touch of it in the complimentary water bottle for the driver too?

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hahaha that's dark man.

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I'm puzzled why petrol gets mentioned within the first couple of posts, I can't see any evidence of the OP mentioning it, or are we implying the engine is well and truly dead ?

re the sodium silicate ... if you want to destroy an old engine, surely just drain the oil out

Last edited: Wednesday 31st Aug, 2016
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Petrol can damage diesel pumps it was an possible root cause to a catastrophic failure, it was implied not set in stone. human nature is always been point fingers at machine you won't be brave enough to openly say i cocked up.. well past experience of diesel owners doing this and keeping mum about it is not isolated.

As for you comment about sodium silicate just drop the contents and it will be fine is wrong the bores and the rings are eaten away with this liquid glass. the engine will need a total rebuild.. But hang on Jim aren't we digressing well you highlighted it.

11. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    yep, now we can get into this topic instead.

There's loads more on youtube similar to the one in #5.

Many interesting comments beneath the videos about the complete waste of ruining good engines that way, apparently it's done as part of a scrappage scheme in the USA which is similar to the one we had in the UK, where there is a financial inducement for people to "scrap" their car "old" cars. But as many people point out in the comments, perfectly good cars are going to scrap, even though most are apparently US cars, still perfectly good cars (apart from the MPG), but as they point out, the overall carbon footprint on scrapping a good car and replacing with a "new" car doesn't actually make sense, depending on the MPG and miles driven per year.