Service & Maintenance Software Update Problem

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by tightgit, Wednesday 26th Nov, 2014.

1. tightgit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Having seen the very helpful information that Ichiban provides on the TSB sheets, I have been trying since August this year to get two of the software updates carried out to my car, these being the All Wheel Drive Software glitch update and the audio visual up date for the screen freeze. I thought I would get the all wheel drive update or get the garage to check to see if had been done before the onset of any bad weather. I have had the audio visual screen lock up twice, but clears when the ignition is turned off and back on.

The dealer, Honda Reading , claim that they have spoken to the Honda technical department but they cannot find any TSB’s about these issues. I have given them copies of the TSB’s (without naming this forum) and reference numbers and dates of issue but they still claim Honda cannot find these updates. This is really a frustrating and annoying that they, Honda or the dealer cannot find these updates.

Today I have contacted Honda Customer Services and tried to explain the situation but I don’t think they understood about the updates. They said they would refer this to Honda head office and I should get a call back within three days. It sounded as though this Customer Service line is a call centre in India ?
    While I await their call back is there anything else I can do or contact? Is there anybody who has had these updates carried out ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What year is your CR-V have you checked your model year and VIN's are affected, not all CR-V have to have updates. If the dealer check and made the assertion that would mean its does not need it.

All TSB posted here have the model year and affected VIN's listed please cross check them first.

3. tightgit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ichiban. Mine is registered in March 2014 but built in 2013.

I have checked the VIN numbers and mine is affected for both updates.

The point is the dealer cannot get any information from Honda on the TSB updates.

Its as if the TSB's don't exist.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How did this interaction with the dealer take place over the phone or a dealer visit? I have dropped you a PM.

5. tightgit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Ichiban.

PM sent.

Last conversation with them was yesterday. This is face to face convserations with the same person on their service desk who also asked the Master Tech about the update as well and they say cannot locate the updates and Honda Technical cannot find them either....

Looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place !

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Having looked at your VIN via PM , your car is NOT affected your VIN end in 7476.

Look at the TSB for Europe - KE/KG regions its say After that VIN cut off your car is well before it.
    Bulletins & Advisories - 4th Generation All-Wheel Drive (AWD): Software Glitch

Please take time to check it again. Honda are right there is no recall\product update PUD . I have to also add Honda have a robust system to check cars if there was a recall the screen goes red on their computers.

7. tightgit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The way I read the TSB is that if your VIN is AFTER that number ( SHSRE5***DU013968 ) then you are NOT affected, but if before then you will need the update ?

Why would the update be applied to earley VIN's ( I presume the VIN number increases with production) but not later ones ?

As I understand this is not a recall just an update, PUD, if the customer complains.

Still does not explain why Honda say they have no knowledge that an update even exists regardless of the VIN number.

This still leaves the audio visual update which again they cannot find. Mine has not been updated as the version is 1.13 not 1.14 as it would be if it was updated.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You are thoroughly confused mate.. you have completely got this whole thing wrong.I suggest you wait for Honda response as you are not going to get this.

9. tightgit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not confused and don't belittle me.

Please answer the question.

On other TSB's there is only the statement 'Application to Production Line ' and then the VIN. How is one supposed to know if the VIN affected is before or after that number ?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just to confirm, after the VIN range listed the car does require the update and not before? I do see where the confusion comes from as it reads like after that date is fine and before the car needs the update.

Going from what @Ichiban said, as the issue was rectified on later models, the TSB covers 2013 models, the TSB itself was posted in 2013 so logically they applied fix to new productions after the issue was found.

Correct, the information is there for diagnostic purposes when a customer comes in with specific symptoms.

This is far more common that it should be, you've got to understand that this information isn't normally publicly accessible and we share it to help other owners in situations just like this. While the dealers have access to this information as well, many won't regularly check for the latest TSBs and some don't even have it in their general workflow whatsoever. It's a sad truth, but it's one of the big reasons behind putting this information out there.

I get CJ gave you a frustrated reply there, but please don't act like you have an entitlement to the information and help/support, we're here to help where we can but that is a courtesy and not a right. There's obviously some confusion here but let's get to the bottom of it amicably and get this clear cut for any future members who may find themselves in the same position :Smile:

Toggerefc and Nels like this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think we need to revisit TSB data as it shown this information can quite easily interpreted the wrong way and causing upset all round. You cannot make the TSB information easier than it is now.. or do we go down to basic and spell everything out how to interpret them?

Either way there is no easy solution to this other than take this sort of valuable information down? As it been used as leverage mechanism to gain something from dealers when there is nothing there to get (last statement not directed to OP)

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I think it just requires better wording "affects vehicles after" and that's that.

Yes it can be abused as such, but that's part of the reason the juicy stuff ends up in the Evangelists section, it's valuable information to owners and we should continue to provide it - we can just word it better than Honda did for clarity when it's less clear cut, it requires little effort.

I can see why OP interpreted it the way he did.

Toggerefc likes this.