Off-Topic solar panels on the roof, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brodziu, Thursday 22nd Aug, 2013.

1. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    Hi guys, does anyone heard about a shade greener or has fitted their panels? they're fitting them for free as they're getting some money from government and what they are also getting from you is that the energy which you didn't use is sold back to the main, my friend has just fitted panels and she's saying that energy bills has dropped by approx. 40% she is trying to do washing,drying,ironing, etc. during the day to use energy from panels, I was thinking to get them fitted but I just would like to find out what's your thoughts, I've read on the moneysupermarket some reviews and it seems that everything is ok with them. their site A Shade Greener - Free Solar Panels for your home in the UK
    Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My area is not eligible for this offer :telloff:

3. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    would you consider to fit them if you were eligible? just want to know your opinion :Wink:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well the look ugly secondly the solar panels surfaces needs to be relatively clean, dirt and grime hinder its effectiveness.

Now unless you have a high pressure cleaning system installed or you climb up the roof every month to clean it ...is it really that good once the novelty factor wears out?

if your roof leaks or need maintenance these panels will need removing what the cost of reinstalling them?

lastly they are target practice for glue sniffing loaded boozed up local scallywags, it will be ruined in no time.

5. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    yes I agree, they don't look great on the roof, but if they will give me free energy I don't mind especially that I won't see it when I'm at home :Wink:
    I don't think so that they need to be so clean,anyway in Manchester is raining so often that dirt won't be an issue.
    if it comes to reinstalling as far as I remember they provide two free re-instalments within 25 years as that's the contract length.
    lastly I don't think so that it would be targeted by someone boozed, there is many houses in my area and around Manchester and never seen it damaged.

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I have two installations on my roof: a 2009, good for 3000 Wp and a 2011, good for 1450 Wp.
    Both are installed on a flat part of the roof. Solar panels have a surface that repels water and dust. If you don't clean them yourself, they will get clean after a good rain shower. I hardly have to pay for any electricity/year (around 20 - 30 euro/year). Investment was high, but after 6 years all is regained with fiscal stimuli. But sadly enough, that's over now in Belgium.
    I only go on the roof in winter, when fully covered with snow, and once or twice in the summer to remove dust after long dry periods. But again, they're on the flat part of the roof and very easy to access. Don't even need a ladder, and just some clean water is enough to wipe of any dust or bird poo.
    They didn't come and install them for free. I'm the owner for 100%. That's a risk, but all benefits are also for me. For the 2009 installation, I'm almost at break-even point. And then there's only benefit.
    By the way: I went for quality panels (Japanese Sanyo's), no cheap Chinese. And they do exactly as promised (production/year).
    So, asking me: yes I would do it again.

7. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    thanks for that I-DSI :Thumbup:
    I don't know what brand they are using, but their system is made from 18 panels and total wattage is 3.3 kW at peak, my roof is tilted so I believe that all dirt would be washed out by rain, they are claiming that their system would cover 40%-60% of electricity used by 3 bedroom house, so I think I'll go for it :Wassat:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Greg there is plenty of air pollution which does get washed down when it rains so solar panels will get dirty , like your windows panes get dirty and they need to be cleaned.

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi CJ,
    Owning those panels now for 4 years I can tell you that it is not really necessary to go and clean them. everytime before cleaning I look at the power output, and check again after cleaning. Can't tell any difference and they are not that dirty. My water looks a bit black but that's after cleaning 19 panels. And I only go and clean them after a long dry period. Please don't imagine you need to maintain these things. It's really (absolute) minimum. 2 things really matter: the orientation (obviously south) and the location so no shade comes on the panels. If even 1 panel has a bit of shade, the whole output falls back like from 2000 to 400W. A third point, but far less important is the angle. Mine are between 30 and 35°, perfect. And in the end, yes in the end you can start thinking to dust them off... to win that last 0,5% (?).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Brodziu,
    18 panels for 3300 Wp is a lot of panel. Meaning they are using low efficient panels. But this is no disadvantage IF you have the space to spread them out. It makes the whole installation cheaper and the price/kWh cheaper.
    My panels are high power output/m². But I needed to, because the space was limited and we consume quite some energy (over 4000 kWh/year).

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yeah, I looked into the Honda ones, but there was no way in buying them. They are not offered yet. They're on the German Honda training centre and I believe somewhere in the UK also (also training centre?).

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda sells the solar panels in Japan commercial but not for retail must be doing their studies on long term viability. The Honda FCX started that route and now atleast its on sale in the states via lease.

Maybe soon they will be out for retail sale. I have not been to the Honda institute in Slough for some years they may have some solar panel too it won't surprise me.