General Some questions after a few days.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by karlak, Saturday 26th Sep, 2015.

1. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

We have had the CR-V for a few days now and have some questions. I am working my way through the manual, but jeez it is heavy going :Smile:

- Can the car read out text messages from the phone ?
    - Is it possible to have the aircon system set to AUTO, but have A/C switched off. I know people say just leave the A/C on, but would like to know if it is possible to have auto without A/C
    - Does anyone else find the heated seats to be not that warm and that they seem to be on then off ?

Great car by the way and very comfortable :Smile:

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    - Can the car read out text messages from the phone ? - No I don't think so.
    - Is it possible to have the aircon system set to AUTO, but have A/C switched off. I know people say just leave the A/C on, but would like to know if it is possible to have auto without A/C. Auto is climate control it controls the car temperature by using heating and cooling to achieve the uniform temperature.You can hit the A\C button and you will have A/C off displayed that way the aircon is off. But you cannot have aircon off under auto,
    - Does anyone else find the heated seats to be not that warm and that they seem to be on then off ? There is a thermostat which prevents overheating and burning people LOL it should get warm but not mega hot.

Also have a read of this Guides - 4th Generation CR-V FAQ & Faults Master List.

karlak likes this.
  3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It can be temperamental but I can get my car to read out texts via hands free. It has only been possible since I got Windows 8 phone so I think this may be a feature on the phone via the HFT rather than the other way round if you see what I mean.

When I receive a text the HFT picks up and I get an audio message "text from...... say read it or ignore"

It doesn't always work and if the phone is in a pocket I sometimes have to shout "read it" to get it to work.

I never had this feature with my Windows 7 phone so that leads me to suspect it's a feature on the phone rather than HFT but I can't say for definite.

Nels likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

1. There's a manual? :lol:

2. I don't think the 2012-2014MY CR-V can read out text messages. I could be wrong, but I think the 2015MY update, with the 'Connect' system can do this. Can anybody confirm?

3. As @Ichiban says, you can only have 'auto' with the climate control on.

4. I agree about the heated seats - they certainly don't seem to be as hot as the ones in my previous Accord. Mind you, on the higher setting first thing this morning (the car was only showing 4 degrees, brrrr!) they did the job... :Smile:

Without a doubt, my CR-V is the most comfortable car I have ever owned - great seats, a spot on driving position and a soft ride. Comfy...:trampoline:

karlak likes this.
  5. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The 4th generation is all seeing and all knowing. Not only can it read your text messages it can also reply to them as well. Just concentrate your mind when you are driving it and it will turn on your central heating, your slow cooker and your favorite TV channel ready for when you get back to base.
    Live long and prosper. :eek:

6. karlak Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK, next question.

Can the car be programmed to lock the doors automatically after you drive away ? I know some cars need to have this set by a dealer, others can be set through the car menu's.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think so someone made an aftermarket kit for this , but its quite easier to hit the lock all door button on your driver door it a matter of habit. I do it as soon as I get in .

8. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    Being an old school type of driver, I'd rather be watching the road than be distracted by all the various displays in the car, so my question is this;
    Is switching the ignition off and then ignoring the safety acknowledgement on the central display after start up the only way to stop it displaying anything after a minute or two, or is there another way to switch it off in-flight so to speak?
    Couldn't find anything in the owners encyclopedia.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you talking about the Sat Nav screen @Big H ?

If so, on the 7th Generation Accord, once the Sat Nav is on, you can switch it off by pressing the A/C options button and then leave it there. If you don't press any more button after landing on that screen, the screen will timeout and switch off.

Like I say that is the behaviour on the Accords, you could give it a go and see if that works on your new CR-V.

10. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi, On my 2015 info screen, if I don't touch OK (ignore prompt) it goes blank until I select something.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Is there any other way aside from that to switch it off @Bomber209 ?

12. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    There might be a fuse for it. A bit drastic though.

13. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, the satnav screen (otherwise known as the Honda CONNECT touchscreen).
    Couldn't find an equivalent to the A/C options button you mention, so no further forward, but thanks anyway.

Yes, but that seems to be the only way to power it off.

Bit annoying really.
    Be nice if pressing and holding briefly on the menus option caused it to turn off…
    Guess I could always change the screen pic to black background and then navigate away from the options, but that's just a workaround.

14. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quick update.

Found the Honda CONNECT touchscreen on/off function.
    Just needs an extended depression of the day/night button (immediately above the CD load button).
    Seems this button steps through day/night/off and when in an off state, the display will only then turn on when reverse is selected and turn off again when reverse is deselected.
    Happy Days (page 667 in the manual).

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Is that volume 1, 2 or 3 of the manual?

:Laughing:

16. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

umpteenth soft copy addendum
    :Grin: