Electrical & Lights Some strange issues (VSA and brake lights)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Amused, Thursday 11th Jul, 2013.

1. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK, I've had a bay day today.

First I replaced my tail/brake light bulbs to led ones with projectors, all good.

However, after some 10 min drive, a "check system - VSA" message appeared. I stopped the car, turned it off and started it again, the message disappeared. It all happened some 5 or 6 hours ago. Anything to worry about?

Then some 10 mins ago I decided to see how the new led tail/brake lights would work at night. I switched the lights on. To my surprise, the tail lights as well as the third brake light were constantly on as if I were holding down the brake pedal. Then I turned off all the lights and just pressed the brake pedal, all good - all brake lights went on.

So the situation is this:

1. Switch on all lights - brake lights (including the third one) are on!
    2. Switch off all lights - everything off.
    3. While the lights are switched off I hit the brake pedal - the brake lights (including the third one) are on.

So whatever I do, I can't get the tailights to behave as normal ones should (to be on and dimmed).

What might be causing these problems?

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It will be the led bulbs you have put in ! I have been tempted to install some to replace my side lights but after having read some of the reviews on amazon I was put off ! A few people said about having a warning light on the dash after installing them.

3. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I picked the appropriate ones (7443 dual filament 21W/5W)... Don't have a clue what the problem might be

4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    On cars with CAMBUS electrics, ie get warning light on dash if a bulb blows, when fitting LED bulbs a resistor has to be wired in parallel to bring wattage up to that of the filament bulb that has been replaced otherwise CAMBUS system thinks a bulb has blown. I do not know if the 8th generation Accord has CAMBUS, but someone else/dealer will know.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No canbus on the Accord, that rubbish is more widespread on german curd.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What happens when you put the stock bulbs back?

7. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes try putting stock bulbs back in and see if you still get the problem. I still say its the bulbs. If you read some of the reviews on LED bulbs in amazon you will see that a few people have had the exact same problem.