General Sound from rear disc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hsyasin, Friday 21st Jun, 2013.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hey all,
    I've just started to hear slight noise from my passenger side rear wheel, like the brake is touching the disc constantly,
    its like on and off, sometime u hear it and sometimes u don't, and yesterday when i came to work, i touched the rim and it was warmer than the rest.
    Plz help me out, as to how and what should i do??

2. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Im no expert but I'd say if you have the tools and are able to do it then get the the wheel off and have a good look could be something as simple as a stone stuck in between the disc and the pad. Is it I grinding noise and does it get worse when the brakes are applied ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When was the last time the rear brakes were stripped and cleaned ? That should tell you what its doing.

4. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Had that recently, turned out the person that did my brakes previously did not grease the caliper slide pins, and the bottom ones on both rear sides have seized. This time I did it myself ... only way to be sure the job is done properly I guess. But you might just have work out pads or as above, stone got stuck between the disc and pad?

5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

nope, its like when u drive car with handbrake still applied.
    and by applying foot brake sometimes it stops, and the sound isnt that bad

- - - Updated - - -

and i don't really know when were they last cleaned, as i only bought it a month ago.
    is there a detalied guide on how to do that?
    and is it easy enough, without needing too many tools?

6. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    It needs some tools. As I had none I have forked out £100 for a massive kit from Halfords with good reviews, as it will come handy. And I had someone overlooking my work :Smile:

And yes, when I applied brake, or even handbrake slightly, the noise was going away. Pads were worn out as well, so it can be one of these things. You will have to check.

7. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes as mentioned the only way to find out is to have a good look. One way of telling if the slider pins have seized is to check the break pads on both sides of the disc and if the inside one looks alot more worn down than the outside one then I would say seized slider pins. I know this from experience after I bought my Accord and it is down to lack of maintenence.

8. spindrift Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had exactly the same problem. On inspection at In N Out it was found that the corrosion over last winter had badly pitted & scored the rear discs. Solution? Replace discs & pads & problem disappeared.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will need a windback tool from your local halfords if you are prepared to do it I can get a guide up so you can start the process. BUT you have to do a DIY for the forum with actual pictures.

10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks alot,
    oh darn, should've read ur comment over the weekend. Actually what i ended up doing is, went with a friend to a garage in london and when he checked the rear passenger side calipers were jammed:Aghast: and brake was constantly applied and on drivers side, the brake pads didn't had any meat on 'em and i was again like :Aghast:.
    So, asked the guy if its worth changing the discs as well, and he said no they're in good condition. Hence got rear brake pads changed and the car is now running like it had a new engine instead of brake pads. :Happy:

- - - Updated - - -

But the mechanic was really busy, so he didn't adjust the handbrake, and asked me if i can come on monday i said ok, but when i came home yesterday, i couldn't wait, and jacked the car up, popped the center console open and voila.. did it :GoodJob:
    took me 4hrs, but yeah.. good as new. Just followed that lovely guide on here and done.
    What I'll do is, whenever I get some free time, I'll do a DIY with pics and upload it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, u guys,
    Can anyone tell me what kinda grease I should buy?
    coz I'm thinking to just open the front ones up and grease the calipers anyways, to avoid any future problems, was also thinking if there's a diy or a guide to opening up the brakes? I mean i did see that mechanic opening up the rear brakes but I forgot a few steps :Sobbing:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014