Tyres & Wheels Space Saver Wheel

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Phil P, Sunday 15th Dec, 2013.

1. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Anybody used one yet? It looks a big lump but does it work?

My local Honda dealer tells me it can be run at 70mph but I can't confirm as I have not looked at the sticker on it.

I am tempted to get a full size spare (18" alloy) but quotes are £600+ :Angry:. And would it fit in the wheel well?

Any advice welcome please

Phil P

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: CR-V 2013_ Space Saver Wheel

It will work bud, Honda would have tested it to the hill you can be rest assured it will do its job flawlessly. The CR-V by law can't have IMS( Instant Mobility System) due to the gross weight of the vehicle and the size of tyre.

A full size wheel will look better but when was the last time you had a puncture, the space save will be fine .

3. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My accord came with no spare/jack only a space in my boot I got a spare from breaker (full size) and jack for £15 never used the thing for jack e.t.c and felt safe my Prelude got a brand new space saver its 1993 never been used :Tea:

4. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent

Nice one CJ

Thank you

Phil P

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire

I've not had a puncture in any of my cars for well over twenty years. I can't remember when I last had one. Hope I'm not tempting fate.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can get a new rim for less than half that price, but without a tyre: 2013 Honda CR-V Alloy Wheel 18" | eBay

Having said that, I did check out the spare wheel and it looks fine. Better than the silly pancakes that some cars get.

Only problem with a full size 18" in the wheel well is that the floor will not be flat - it'll be raised by a good couple of inches. I couldn't live with that personally - prefer a flat floor.

7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent

Thanks TDK

Think I'll stay with a flat floor as well. The wheel looks chunky enough to cope

Looked in the Owners Handbook today about its speed limit. It says 50 MPH max so I do not know why the salesman said 70. Either way I would not have purchased a new full size one even if he said 20mph

Phil P

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Guess the salesman was talking garbage to make you feel better.

The spare seems plenty wide enough to be honest - as said, I'm just glad it has a spare wheel and not a silly, useless can of party-gunge like many other cars. Least with a spare wheel you can get back on the road again in minutes. And at this time of the year when the weather is poor, that makes all the difference.