Tyres & Wheels Space saver

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by richsprint, Sunday 6th Jan, 2013.

1. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Guys,

Been trying to source a used space saver for my tourer. Been messed around by sellers on Ebay who want all the money but can't be bothered to organise a courier or allow me to send one to collect, so been looking at new ones.

Holdcroft sell the accord space saver, securing bolt and tool box for circa £160 inc postage, which is fairly pricey. They sell the Civic space saver for £115 inc postage, its the same size tyre and wheel, 16 x 4T, 135/80D 101m, so I'll be getting one of those, saving £45.

the jack, handle, wrench and screw driver can be wrapped in cloth to,stop rattles and stored in the side pockets, not paying £45 for the foam tool box.

Sounds too good to be true, Am I missing something here...

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

99% sure (and CJ can affirm) but the Civic space saver wheel is not compatible at all with the any 8th Generation variant. I enquired about this with HH in person when I had my body kit fitted by them and they categorically said its a no-no.

Thats why I bought another full set of alloys and split them...

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure if Civic wheel would fit or not.
    There is Accord one for sale right now by fellow member if it hasnt been sold already,contact him and enquire.
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/3654/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its the same size wheel, tyre and 5x114 bolt holes, so I can't see why it wouldn't fit.

5. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    I have just arranged to buy one using the following website:-

The Parts Gateway: Find A Part

They are a kind of brokerage who circulate details of the parts required to a number of possible sources. I had 4 replies, the best of which was from a company called Honda and Ford Breakers in Cookstown Northern Ireland. They quoted £95 delivered and although it is described as Used they told me that it looked like it had never been on the car.

The other thing to bear in mind apparently is that the Saloon and the Tourer have different spacesavers (different serial numbers are shown on Honda's website). I checked with them to confirm that they had quoted for the right one and they confirmed that it was for the Tourer and said that the Tyre is slightly heavier duty than for the saloon. The other quotes I received were considerably more (£132/£145 and £160).

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Unfortunately he won't allow a courier, and I don't fancy the 3 hour trip and £20 in fuel.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yep I tried them also, but £95 for a used one is pricey isnt it, they are on Ebay for £60-70. If the Civic one does fit you might as well have a new one for £115 delivered.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can only go by what HH staff told me - and I can't see why they'd say it without reason. Might be worth calling them to confirm...:Thumbup:

8. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Been trying to get that myself no reply regards to me getting a courier, watching how richsprint gets on with the Civic spacer

Will the 7th Generation space saver be ok for the 8th Generation just thought can swap that into 8th Generation

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

10. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    unfortunately I don't have the original box it shipped in, I did try to fabricate a box out of 2 other boxes and weighed it, it came out at a shade under 20kg, but I wouldn't trust the box to transport the contents intact.

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Also make sure you check the age/condition of the tyre, manufacturing date is stamped on the side, anything over 5/6 years could be dodgy and liable to blow out, especially a stressed out space saver tyre.

- - - Updated - - -

Bonus of that is there isnt the 80kmh/50 mph speed limit as with a space saver. Useful if you have a flat on the motorway.

space saver is even the same part number on Lings for Accord and Civic.

Last edited: Sunday 6th Jan, 2013
  12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I have 7th Generation space save tyre, unused, without the foam (for 7th Generation anyhow) but with the tools. If it fits on 8th Generation, I want to sell it for a low price. Comes out of a 2.4 i-VTEC. But first check if that fits!

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Think I'm going to get an ES spec 16" steel wheel with 205/60 16 tyre. It fits in the tourer boot, fits the car and takes away the 50mph space saver speed limit. £115 delivered new with a reasonable Falken tyre, so cheaper than a space saver also.

14. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

What is the maximum size difference you can run on the same axle? My car is on 18"s and i would rather have a spacesaver or indeed a full width spare instead of the tyre repair kit. But i believe full size steel wheels only go up to 16". Can anybody confirm or deny this please.

Regards,

Ivor.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You can always mount the spare wheel on the rear axle! Problem solved. I know: extra work, but no risk.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I believe thats correct (as in 16" steel wheel). FWIW I have a full size alloy/tyre in my boot. The tyre repair kit is farcical. I kept the compressor but threw the can of gunge right in the bin.

17. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

This tyre equivalence calculator is good. They recommend +- 2.5% difference.

Tyre Size Calculator - Changing Tyres - Etyres

The space saver is 135/80 16

The overall diameter is comparable between my standard 225/50/17 and an ES spec 205/60/16 is within 0.76% so is tolerable.

The space saver is 5.3% different.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yep the temporary wheel should go on the rear axle of the Accord as its front wheel drive.

18. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi guys,

Here's a pic of my tourer boot with one of my wifes 16" Ibiza alloys in it, plenty of room, so a 17" should fit. Will get one of mine off and try it sometime.

Also why pay for the foam tool tray, the jack clips in the side pocket nicely, and the handle, screwdriver and wrench can go in the shallow compartments, wrapped in cloth or bubble wrap to stop rattles.

spare wheel.

My new wheel and tyre from www.mytyres.co.uk should arrive next week, along with the honda bolt and clip to retain it.

Last edited: Sunday 13th Jan, 2013
  19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Link to attachment does not work.

20. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆