Electrical & Lights Spare few hours, new foglights fitted.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Sunday 31st Jul, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a few spare hours this afternoon, I would have had a few more spare, if it wasnt raining this morning.
    But I got cracking with the installation of my new (used) Genuine Honda foglight kit (thats as rare as rocking horse poo to get)

So off came the front bumper, and since I was replacing the passenger side headlight anyway, due to the fact the lens had gone cloudy and was in general looking really nastly. 20160731_142541.

The bumper itself is held on by 4 10mm bolts across the bottom, an 8mm bolt at each corner of the wing and three clips across the front where the grill closes into,

20160731_144420. 20160731_150052.
    The headlight is held in place by three 10mm bolts, on on top and two each side, its quite a faff to get off as a metal bracket above the bumper beam has to be loosed first to give enough wiggle room, but once done its easy to line everything back up again,

20160731_150223.
    next is to cut the blanks out with the trusty stanley knife (dead easy to do)

20160731_150628.

And screw on the light bracket, the unit slots into the other side of the hole and uses a 10mm bolt on this bracket to tighten up and allow replacement of the bulb.

20160731_151303.

Now the bumper is all cut out and the light units are in, its time for a quick test fit.

20160731_151830. 20160731_151848. 20160731_152301.
    The wiring harness attatches where the orange wires are in the top pic (they plug into a brown connector just under the headlight on the drivers side), they also need to be earthed at the bolt on the drivers side next to the air box, before being routed down through a hole under the headlight and routed off to the fog lights themselves.

20160731_154227.

Bumper back on for the final time, fitting is the same as removal, except with less swearing.

20160731_164246.

This is where it got fun, the wiring loom plugs into a brown connector with an orange wire underneath the dashboard on the right hand side, it also plugs into the fuse box there as well on the top, wires are then routed over the top of the pedals and down over the engine ECU to the passenger side, there is also a relar for the lights which is supposed to be screwed up with a bolt above the clutch pedal, but i think i will attatch mine to the heater unit with a screw as its easier to access. The wires then get routed to the passenger side fuse box where they get tied into the connector blocks in the fuse board and the white control unit on the back of the fuse box.

20160731_171626. 20160731_171619.

Everything back together and its time to test out the fogs, at first they didnt come on, but turns out the ignition has to be on, unlike with the headlights where it doesnt for them to work.

20160731_171644. 20160731_171714.

And there we have it, the installation of some genuine foglights with the genuine correct electrical loom.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Swearing? Who, you?...Never:lol:

Great job @Harvey, but now the O/S headlight looks cloudy.

Nighthawk and Harvey like this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Good work fella!

Harvey and Nels like this.
  4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I only swear when I am hangry, angry or when things don't go my way.

The phot makes it look cloudy, but it's not as bad as the picture makes it look I will be replacing it when I can find one in good condition that is at a reasonable price, saw someone on ebay trying to sell one for £80 for a used one.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm only pulling your leg.
    That's a smashing job with a great result. One to be proud of. :Drinks:

Harvey likes this.
  6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Great job done and looks much better......next job weed your drive

Harvey likes this.
  7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Careful, you'll start him swearing...

Harvey and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's only hardcore at the moment and I am gonna be slabbin where i park the car, but since its a rented property, I have no inclination to improve the place beyond what benefits me.

Zebster likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Harvey likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Great job Harvey, car looks complete now.

Why not restore the headlamps? Might be cheaper too then buying replacement.

Harvey likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:GoodJob::likeit:

:Thumbup::Hooray:

Harvey likes this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The passenger side one was beyond restoring, I've done it several times, but the marks just where not coming out. So even with a used headlight and the fog loom it came to £23, so while I had the bumper off, I replaced it. I've used a restoration kit I already had from previous times on the drivers side and its better, but not perfect.

exec likes this.