Electrical & Lights Spare Key Remote Module

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Nadeem79, Thursday 23rd Apr, 2015.

1. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    Hello fellow FR-V-ers,

Hope all is well. I wanted to pick your brains on something. The other day, accidentally, i left the keys for my FR-V in my brothers car. The next morning he went to work and rang me from his work place to make me aware of this issue. No big deal i thought ......... as i have a spare.

Yet, when i put the spare in, it unlocked the car, but did not de-actiavte the immobliser or the alarm. Put the key in the ignition, thinking it might recognise it, but to no avail.

After speaking to Honda, they notified me that my spare key does not have the electronic remote module to;

1 - unlock the car
    2 - deactivate the alarm
    3- lastly, turn the immobiliser off

If it did, they can just re-programme the key easily (funnily enough i rang Honda Beaconsfield and they would £56 Incl. VAT, yet Hemel Hempstead would charge £25 Incl. VAT, so always shop around. As the dealerships are not part of the same company and have different owners).

After enquiring from Honda, they told me that it would cost £116 just for electronic module on its own and then the additional £25 to programme it.

So this leads me to my question. Has anyone else had this problem? Have they managed to find the module anywhere else cheaper? Can i just possibly get one from eBay from a FR-V which is being broken down for parts and use that and just reprogram it?

Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The price of new genuine keys is really high. You just need the module so no harm in getting it from a second-hand key if you can source one on eBay, the blade doesn't matter when swapping internals, and it can be reprogrammed.

Though personally I'd just grab a new complete non-genuine key:

Bones126 likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Good find @DeviateDefiant , I don't have a spare so will get one myself.

4. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    @DeviateDefiant, thank you very much. Managed to nab the last one from the Seller.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    My FR-V only came with one key so I got another one cut. The key man said it might set off the alarm but it should turn it off when you start the car with it. However it doesn't seem to do this. Most annoying. Sure I've now got a spare key but I can't just jump in the car when my missus has the main key on her. Is there any way round this so the new key actually functions as a normal key (albeit not one with remote locking/unlocking)?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What does your new key look like, can you post a picture of it please.

Honda keys have an transponder in them that gets coded to the immobiliser system on the car. That's what your key is missing. You could get round it by buying a second hand key, the key itself obviously won't work but you can cut the transponder out and put it in/stick it to the new key.

7. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    Hi SpeedyGee...the new key I have is identical to one of these...

Honda Jazz trasnponder key HON66T

The HON66T6 version which should have a transponder in it? I just assumed when I got it cut I was getting a functional key?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    Thanks SpeedyGee....little confused as the new key I have doesn't have any remote buttons in order to follow the procedure in that post. It's basically just a spare key. It can manually unlock/lock and start the car but that's it. Is the presence of transponder different to the remote functionality? Sorry if that's dense but this is new to me....

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Sorry my bad !!

I've given you duff info :Blushing::Blushing:

Actual key programming (and not alarm fob programming) needs to be done with Honda HDS unit.

Sorry having a busy morning, trying to do too many things at once.

11. PASMITH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul York
    No worries man. Thanks for the input. :Smile:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need the challenge code from Honda database which no one but Honda has, so its is a dealer job.

PASMITH likes this.